Does your Homestead Dog make the list?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MomInGa, May 24, 2004.

1. MomInGa

MomInGa Well-Known Member

Top 5 Dog Breeds owned in the U.S.:
    Labrador retriever
    Golden retriever
    German shepherd
    Rottweiler
    Dachshund

Top 5 Dog Breeds for Families:
    Golden retriever
    Welsh corgi
    West Highland white terrier
    Irish setter
    Schnauzer

Top 5 Dog Breeds for Intelligence:
    Border collie
    Poodle
    German shepherd
    Golden retriever
    Doberman pinscher

Does your Homestead Dog make the list? I purpose a new list! Homesteaders unite!
    (I'll go first cause I started the thread. grins)

Top Beloved Homestead Dogs:
    Ridgeback/Hound Mix.

Some good resources:
    AKC breed information
    Alternative pet care meds

2. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

We have German Shepherd Dogs. Of course, I'm biased, but to me they are the ultimate homestead dog! My neighbor with the horse farm has always had doberman pinscers. They aren't your typical homestead dogs, but hers are great, and she swears by them. My son's riding instructer has a pug on the farm. Believe it or not, it is a great farm dog! I think any dog, raised on the farm with careful training can be a really good homestead dog!

3. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

ok, at the moment, we have 4 dogs................

one Char pei chow cross - very protective
    one German shepard rottweiler cross - goofy as they come
    and two puppies from them

Lynn in Texas

4. Starlighthill

Starlighthill Northern Michigan

Our ultimate homestead dog is our English Shepherd, Tucker. He helps move the goat herd to and from the pasture, gets the stubborn goat up on the milk stand for me, rounds up escapee livestock, catches the chicken we point to at butchering time, keeps the chickens off the back porch, runs off intruders and trees squirrels. He excels in 4-H obedience/agility classes, is a wonderful housedog and is our best friend.
    Starlighthill

5. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I have 5 homestead dogs-but don't tell them they're dogs. ;) :haha:

A 14 yr old purebred cocker spaniel who is in charge of finding the newly hatched chicks or ducklings-that's been her 'job' since she was about 9mos old.

A 13 yr old brittany spaniel mix who is really more of a porch guardian. :rolleyes:

A 12 yr old springer mix who is my protector and also runs off any predators that threaten the poultry. She has the most ferocious bark/growl but if anyone looks closely, her stubby tail is wagging the whole time. :haha:

2-5 mos old border collie/australian shepherd crosses. These girls are already trying to herd the poultry. I guess no one told them chickens, ducks and turkeys don't move as a flock which seems to baffle them. :D

All in all; even though most of mine didn't make the list, I wouldn't trade them for any other homestead dogs out there.

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

None of my dogs made the list but they are exceptional homestead dogs in their own right:
    Yuqui is a Chinese Crested who rounds up piglets at dusk. :yeeha:
    Ceniza is a Catahoula Leopard who rounds up the escapee hogs. Always on the ready. But I wouldn't recommend a Catahoula to anyone who doesn't have ALOT of land and pigs or cattle to work. :yeeha:
    And my soulmate American Bulldog Cracker Jack. Every homestead in the south should have a well bred American Bulldog. :yeeha:

7. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Tyegr is a german shepherd and greyhound mix (chase 'em down & eat 'em up). Actually she's all bark, but Grandma is giving 2 baby geese to dd for next week's birthday, so they'll be the enforcers, right?

8. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one that's half chow and half rotti. Looks like a rotti except she's solid red. Also one that's half rotti and half lab. Looks like a full blood rotti. My inside dog is full blood schnauzer. He's the watch dog. The two outside ones are just big babies.

9. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

I can't say enough about my German shepherd. She's equally at home defending the chickens from predators or keeping me company in my office at work. She's extremely intelligent, with an impish sense of humor. I'd never had a dog before, and had foolishly thought she'd be merely an "outdoor companion". Wrong! She's a precious member of my tiny household who won't go to sleep unless everything is in order, alerts me during the night to anything unusual, makes it her business to know everything that is happening on the property, and keeps me in good spirits with her antics and affections. I'm so blessed to have her!

10. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

:confused: :confused: :confused: Nope didn't see it!!! :no: Not there either!!! :rolleyes: Where can it be?

What is it? Well its the smartest Animal there is the Jack Russell :D :haha:

big rockpile

11. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member Supporter

We've been on our homestead 18 years. We now have a dog that makes the list, a white German Shepard and she is great. We rescued her. We also started out here with a German Shepard which we promised to take from my brother when we got out to the country. "Killer" grew up in the city but he did great for the one year he lived out here. He died when he was 10 years old. The others are also dogs people had to get rid of for one reason or another. They were all mutts: a cocker mix, a border collie mix, a terrier mix, and another cocker mix. All great dogs because the kids loved them. They all got a good home here for the duration of their lives. I love to have a dog around the place, outside. Once the kids grew up and left home I said no more indoor dogs. Zoe is now about 9 years old so it is time to get another dog she can "train" to stay around the place with her before she passes on. That's the way we like to do it. Let the old dog train the new dog to take it's place.

12. Rivka

Rivka Well-Known Member

I have a white GSD too! He's also a rescue dog, who now believes he is royalty. I just wish people would stop thinking he is an actual wolf. When we move to the country in August, he's going to get a little sister GSD puppy. When we move to more acerage next year, we'll get more dogs.

13. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, we've lost 2 Black Labs-both male, and a Blue Heeler/Border Collie mix-female, since we've been here and we loved them dearly, they were all wonderful watchdogs and companions.
    We now have a (?) Dobie/B.Lab mix-female named Mandy who was adopted from the shelter 2 yrs ago. And 2 weeks ago WE were adopted by the cutest little red hound dog-male, who showed up on our deck, starving and covered in ticks-he's now healthy and happy. Their both good watchdogs and are excellent around kids. Their hilarious to watch- they love to play and wrestle - the houndog is still a puppy and Hubby decided to name him S.A.M. - Some American Mut!
    We've never had a purebred, but we've always had great dogs and the mix has varied. Wouldn't want a Homestead w/o a faithful canine companion! :)

14. JanH

JanH Well-Known Member

15. shakeytails in KY

shakeytails in KY Well-Known Member

My 2 Shar-Pei are house dogs only. They think small animals like cats, ducks, etc. are for killing.

2 barn dogs- one chow/golden cross. Luckily the golden temperment is more prevalent, though sometimes I can just see the devil(chow) on one shoulder and angel (golden) on the other like in the cartoons.
    The other is half heeler and half shepherdX- a wonderful dog that acts dumb, but really isn't. She has just enough livestock instinct to help when needed, but not round up horses and cows just for fun like the purebred heeler I used to have. She'll be a hard dog to replace when the time comes.

I raise a couple of litters of Pembroke Welsh Corgis a year. They live outside mostly, though I have one spayed female that is DH's constant companion that lives in the house and right now have a mama and her pups in my bedroom. Corgis are wonderful little dogs- happy, friendly and eager to please, yet small and sturdy enough to be a family housepet.

16. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I'd have to agree to a couple of things I read, most any dog can become a great farm dog in some respect, and border collies while the smartest dogs I've ever seen are not for everyone. They thrive with attention but can be a handful if you've not got the time for them. In fact mine just came down with a ball so I have to go play fetch with her for a bit!

17. MamaWolfInWV

MamaWolfInWV Well-Known Member

None of mine made the list but my Jack Russell and Chihuahua are great poultry catchers. They never harm any of the birds (aside from a few lost tailfeathers :haha: ) or any other animal here but they do wreak havok on possum, groundhog, and any other small wild animal they can catch. My Australian Shepherd is great at moving the pigs and cows around. Unfortunately ol Bo is getting old, grouchy, and fat and can't quite do it the way he used to so I think in the near future I will retire him to his favorite spot on the porch where he can relax and laugh at the rookie when it has it's first experience with an irritable sow :haha:

18. wyreeds

wyreeds Member

Always loved German Shepherds!! We currently have one. Also have a lab that we're trying to find a good loving home for. He DOES NOT get along with the GSD. They've gotten into some rip roaring fights already. Doesn't seem fair to keep the lab locked up all the time. And, a recent addition that found us. Not sure what she is yet but, she looks a bit collie like..

An another note.. Anyone have any good suggestions for books or websites that would help train our dogs to herd?? Any and all suggestions would really help!

Thanks, Icia

19. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Great discussion! Our German shepherd/husky mix is deceased but was excellent in communicating safety on paths and more. Great with kids. A loose chicken was fair game, but never invaded a coop. Hated snakes and stayed away from them--didn't kill them.

Our current husky/aussie shepherd mix is huge (120 #) and a gentle giant. He is scared of rain but can smell anything coming. I listen to him when he has something to say. Loose chicken or birds are fair game. And he is formidable which helps with strangers and coyotes.

Our 1 year old aussie cattle dog/lab and who knows what else mix (35#) is fearless. She loves storms and is the first to growl at a situation. Plus she's so lovable. Likes to wedge her head between your knees (she was the runt). She is still learning to leave young birds alone. Has quit slurping worms though. Yeah!

Just the other night we were talking and find we really love our mixed breeds. We always follow the Monks of New Skete Puppy scale/rating system and it has proved to be a perfect judge. Recently the vet said how 'lucky' we were to have such great dogs. Course he thinks our Aussie shepherd/husky mix should be a cover boy....

Our neighbors had a purebred Dalmatian when we moved here. What a hard working dog when given a job. I taught him a few things and consider him my first dog. He would bite any snake in half within seconds. He also learned to carry turtles to me and drop them at my feet. Is that great or what? Plus he led me on the search for the aforementioned husky/german shepherd mix over unfamiliar hills and pastures in the dark. Through a horse pasture!!! He helped me find him and then rode in the front seat on the return ride when my partner met us with a car. What a great dog. I even took him to the vet with permission-and he wasn't my dog!

20. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

We have a German Shepard, who apparently can hear someone break wind in the neighboring county and bark at it. :haha: He looks and acts ferocious when a stranger goes by or comes to the house, but all they would have to do is pull a camera out and he runs into his crate...sigh. He's also afraid of the baby chicks and balls...

My dog is a shelter rescue, a Beagle , that I got a couple months ago. His "job" is keeping the spot on the couch that I sit on, warm :haha: He is the biggest couch potato dog Ive ever seen, and I wouldnt trade him for anything.