Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oilpatch197, Apr 2, 2005.
Our dog just gobbles down ahersey's candy bar! does your dog like chocolate?
I take it this is your sense of humor..
To dogs, chocolate is delicious, but potentially lethal. The cocoa bean, from which chocolate is produced, contains a drug called theobromine. This is closely related to caffeine, which chocolate also contains. The toxicity of chocolate for dogs is due to its theobromine content. Chocolate poisoning is very serious. It contains a long lasting, very potent toxin that can cause death. This toxicity is largely unfamiliar to most people, who may not worry too much if their dog is a bit sick after eating a quantity of chocolate.
If you know your pet has ingested large quantities of chocolate, do not wait for symptoms to occur, induce vomiting and take him to the vet immediately!
I will give my dogs some Chocolate maybe a Candy Bar.Like I said on another post I've got one Dog I've let have it for the last 15 years.Just hope she don't die from it :haha:
chocolate toxicosis in dogs is a concern, and reason enough not to feed your dog any amount of chocolate. Don't feed onions either, as it can cause something like hemolytic anemia.
Once I had a dog that ate 7 large chocolate bars out of the grocery bag in a matter of minutes while I popped into another store. She undid each one carefully from the wrappers and just goggled them up. She was a small dog of only about 30 lbs. We watched her closely being worried that she'd poisioned herself, but nothing happened other than diarrhea. I worked for a vet and saw a lot of dogs come in. Never have I seen a dog with chocolate poisining, though the vets constantly warn about it.
This incident was an unforeseen accident with my dog, though it showed me that there are no abosultes about what is said about dogs eating chocolate. I still wouldn't make a practice of allowiing my dogs to eat chocolate.
Be careful also about zinc poisioning which can happen with dogs chewing on zinc coated bolts. I have heard of this in a bored kennel dog.
My dog won't touch chocolate.
Blueberry or cranberry donuts and muffins are another story though.
Lilly says ..."Its to die for!"
Once my dog ate a huge block of chedar cheese that had gone moldy (we had thrown it out). She then immediately threw it up. I'm sorry, but when dogs throw up, it's quite comical. We recount the incident and laugh every now and then.
Hey Southerngurl, thanks ! Now we have #11
11) Interesting things my dog has puked up...
(this has past the point of "pitiful" and is rapidly approaching "deranged"....
will somebody suggest #12, please ?
Here goes, how about the strangest thing my dog has ever "dragged" home?
So far in the last two weeks, we've had two pig hides, and yesterday it was a cow's foot, on the front porch. (NO, my dog is not killing livestock, my neighbor has been "butchering" and throws out the "leavin's" in the woods across the road) Duncan being the Golden Retriever that he is, brings them all home.
seriously folks, you don't want to see a much beloved pet die or become gravely ill from eating chocolate....believe me, it is not funny and not pretty. (and is also quite expensive if you choose to try and save your pet's life.)
for 18 yrs.. my grandfather fed his dog a 1 lb herseys chocolate bar every weekend.. (me too). the only thing the dog and i got, were fat...
i have often given my dogs and cats "bites" of candy and chocolate cookies.. etc.. I have never had any animal get sick.
I believe that feeding chocolate to a dog is more of wives tale.. and even the vets wont admit it.
Lynn in Nevada
The other day my dog threw up a huge ball of easter grass
Apparently he was vacuuming the floor of it.
Bama, some people don't really care for their pets and that is why they take chances. If a person is uninformed that is one thing but after being informed and still doing the bad behavior means they don't care or are Too ignorant to care
Sparky number eleven isn't complete until you describe the sound your dog makes while puking. Is it a "gaaack" or my all time favorite "hoornk" as I think was once described by Dave Barry?
twas a gaaaack I believe.
I tried to tell them but they didn't believe me.
Last summer, I was at a friends house, and she and I were standing in their yard talking, when their dog came proudly trotting into the yard with half of a dead gopher, and dropped it on my white sneakers! I think it was a gift! I was a little honored, actually, as I'd never met the dog before that day.
Chocolate for a dog is no laughing matter. I own a kennel and raise, train, and show dogs and let me tell you that it is no wives' tale. How toxic it is depends on the size of the dog and the type of chocolate. While a couple of Hershey kisses won't kill a Great Dane, you should never ever feed a dog you would like to keep alive any chocolate. Dark Chocolate and Baker's chocolate contain the most concentrated theobromide, and just a tiny bit of it will kill a large dog.
To me giving it to your dog anyway would be like giving a 6 year-old child aspirin. Some people do sometimes and their kids live, sure, but a huge number of kids die each year from injesting it. Who in their right mind would want to risk it.