Does you brain run a marathon?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by suzfromWi, Nov 29, 2006.

1. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

I find that since menopause hit me awhile back that when I try to sleep my brain goes into high gear. Ill wake up during the night and off it goes. Everything that happened during the day or is to happen runs through my brain. It makes me crazy. What happened to the brain that I used to have? The brain that went on vacation at night? I have a quiet life most of the time, no need to hurry but I just cant slow my brain at night. Any suggestions for putting it to sleep other then drugs which I wont take. Ive done Melatonin, helps for a couple hours. Holy Basil which doent help at night. Comeon, someone tell me whats up.......or at least join me in my nightime brain race.... :hobbyhors

2. dixiedoodle

dixiedoodle Well-Known Member

I don,t know. I feel sorry for you. Went thru the same thing few years ago! It was like a camera clicking all time. Seems like you would run thru day you had,or will have. I know it is mind-boglin. It will pass:but in some time.

3. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

I know what you mean! When I lie down at night to sleep, my brain is in overdrive, too. In fact, it's quite productive. I often hit upon solutions to problems around the farm by doing this!

If this is truly bothersome for you, perhaps you could cut out stimulants such as coffee, tea, or chocolate after a certain time of day; say, noon.

I hope you can solve or redirect this so that it isn't such a problem for you.

NeHi

4. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the same problem on some nights but the opposite problem during the day. My brain goes to sleep during the day! Not being able to think of a word drives me batty! Trying to tell DH what we're going to have for dinner and not being able to come up with the word casserole is nutty!

5. suzfromWi

A few years back my mind would take me back to all the mistakes Ive made in my life. I figured that was Gods way of making sure I didnt make the same mistakes again. Now that thats gone I am grateful but boy I sure get tired...If I have company coming or already here it really goes into overtime. I dont like it at all......

6. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

I've had this all my life, except on those rare occasions where I zonk out soon after hitting the pillow. I call it my anxiety, or overactive adrenals, and been told by a doctor that it comes from my mitral valve prolapse. It's like you get stuck in the fight or flight response physiologically, and you can't shut it down.

I have a few suggestions. They all work, but all of them take discipline.

Google on deep breathing exercises or progressive muscle relaxation training. Three or four deep breaths when you lay down for bed can really relax you. It even works for my six year old when he gets too wound up. The progressive muscle relaxation is another exercise you do when you lay down to sleep at night. You can get it on tape or cd as a guided endeavor with relaxing music.

Another thing you could try is The Yoga Journals "Yoga for Relaxation". It's an excellent video and can be picked up rather inexpensively on E-Bay.

Other than that, if you can, a good relaxing massage in the late evening can to wonders as well.

These things are simple, natural and work amazingly well if you have the discipline to follow through.

They stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system, which automatically quiets down the sympathetic nervous system (responsible for fight or flight). They both can't function at the same time.

Good luck!

7. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I suffer from it too!
    My mind won't shut off when I go to bed. I think about everything I have accomplished during the day...or didn't accomplish. I worry about what needs to be done tomorrow and I dwell on the past.
    My hubby just snores right beside me. :)
    He says I do enough worrying for the both of us, so he can sleep like a baby.

8. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Oy vey! I've had that for a long time now. I sleep for a few hours, then wake up and away the mind goes. It sometimes goes over the past, sometimes goes through the list of things I have to do---over and over and over!

I sometimes get up and use the bathroom, get a drink of water and settle in again. There I usually don't sleep for a hour or two. I try to make my mind blank by closing my eyes and pretending that I'm staring into a black velvet sheet. I pray too.

I've learned not to worry about it. If I'm tired the next day, I don't take a nap because I feel that I'll eventually sleep at night.

9. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

10. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Welcome to PTSD, its only been since 1969 that I have had this thing happening to me. Being combat alert for 38 years takes a toll, I think its called insanity.

11. lonelyfarmgirl

lonelyfarmgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

picka, I will have to try that breathing thing. my mind never shuts off. it never had. I remember arguing with my mom when I was 16 that the dogs toenails would wake me up, then I couldnt go back to slepp because my brain wouldn't stop. at 30, its still that way. I have to get up at 4am on friday and drive 16 hours for my job. the only way I can get enough sleep thursday night, is to stay up really late wednesday, force my self up early thurs, and drop dead thurs night because I am so tired. if I dont, sleeping thursday night is a pipe dream.

12. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

this happened to me after I had a huge accident in 84... it was driving me nuts. I called it "noise", the doctor called it "damage" and tranquilizers took it more or less away.... most of the time...

on a EEG you ccan see it, the doc said its the brains eqivelnt to "white noise".... short term memory goes wacky and you remember it alll rapid fire in a jumbled mess.

its very distracting.... try phenobarbital.

you can probably tell here when you read.... sometimes i make less sense than I do at other times..

welcome to "dain bramage".

:p

13. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I call it anxiety or hypervigilance and no longer seem to have it now I'm semiretired and have a 'manana' attitude about everything. However in past I've been on maternity leave etc (a lot more on the mind than now of course) and suffered from it. Treatment for depression didn't absolutely help but sort of.

If I am in bed running through things I have to do (ie that I'm afraid I'll forget about) I get up or turn to a notebook kept at bedside and write down my list of things, or those brilliant ideas which always seem to be forgotten by morning same thing. Being certain there is nothing I am in danger of forgetting- by my current system of minimal responsibility and extensive use of my day planner (checked before bed and every am and several times a day)- helps. Taking care of longterm worries which one might mull over all night helps. For me settling now into our longterm house and refusing to worry about finding work or how we'll afford this in 5 years when finances change helps- my worries last year were all when will we move, will we find a good place, etc etc. Prayer meditation discussion with spouse (and for MY spouse leaving the troubles to your spouse!) all help if you can't reach a nearly perfect situation like my brain currently believes I am now in.

Also aside from relaxation techniques, YAWNING and SMILING somehow stimulate sleepiness- works for me- guess distracts my mind from all the lists and worries.

Might be from hormonal changes or might be- my troubles were decades before menopause since I'm not there yet even- a depression/stress/anxiety thing. Also if any other symptoms especially in daytime of hyperness, skin hair change weight/appetite change consider THYROID disorder. All in all asking your Dr wouldn't hurt.

14. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

YOU MEAN ITS NOT NORMAL 24/7

Imagine a blackboard. keep it blank very soon you will drift off.

15. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Thank you for the tip Rose. :) I will try it!

About once a month or so, during the day when DH isn't in bed with me, I lay down for a nap and can sleep for 10 hours straight..........I guess my body is trying to catch up.

16. IDgoats

IDgoats Active Member

I feel for you, I've lived with it for all my life off and on, Friend and i call it chatter. For me no naps, and no stimulants after lunch. also you need deep sleep for brain to sort/store things away, or will lead to depression. Mine got a lot better when got job with less stress and keep my finances in good shape, also got treatment for sleep apnea. now sleep preety well.
    praise the lord, and good luck. dan

17. suzfromWi

I do have a slight case of sleep apthnea but if I dont lay on my back it seems ok. Maybe if we didnt try to be all to everyone we wouldnt have such trouble sleeping. My best line of treatment is warm milk, melatonin and an hour here on CF at 1 in the am....Well back to work..... :shrug:

18. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

For me, hrt has been the cure. For my dear son in law, getting diagnosed as bi polar with mostly hypomania and treating that has been the cure.

19. Bret

Bret Well-Known Member Supporter

That would be the only part of me that could run a marathon. :)

When I can't sleep, I imagine opening the door to the box stove in the cabin and keeping it full of wood. Still a dream...but it works for me.

20. mellba

mellba Well-Known Member Supporter

It was strange to read this thread on here because this has been happening to me a lot since my brother had a serious head injury last summer. I go to sleep all right but often wake up about three o'clock with my brain spinning. I know it is stress and that all my thinking doesn't solve anything. Often I'll try to turn on the TV to something mindless like old Rosanne or Designing Women reruns. Sometimes this helps me get back to sleep, sometimes not, and then I'll just go ahead and get up. I'm just glad I don't have a job to go to because I'm not at my best on those days.