Does this work...?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BiGtImEfArMeRs4, Mar 23, 2005.

1. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

If you have a goat that has horns, can you use the same bands as you do on steers to band their horns? Does it work? Has anyone ever done this? Any info. would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I have done quite a few horns this way. Take a small round file & file a notch as far down on the horn & as close to the head as you can. File a groove all the way around the horn until you see it looking pink. I roll 2 of the green bands down into the notch on each horn. Then I wrap some duct tape around it so they can't rub the bands off. It can take a few weeks for the horns to fall off. I have had to re-band horns that didn't work the first time, but have always had good luck with doing it this way. I disbud all kids, but if I buy an adult that has horns, that's the way I do it. Some will have too large of a horn base for the bands. I had to take 2 Pygmy bucks to the vet to have their horns removed. I couldn't fit the bands down over their horns.

3. BiGtImEfArMeRs4

BiGtImEfArMeRs4 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much! Will probably try this tomorrow. Does this help to make the doe not as mean, or does it only effect them for the time being with the bands and everything?
    Thanks sooo much!

4. wwoodacres

wwoodacres Active Member

wendy i also thank you i have pygmys also and most of mine are dusbudded and i just purchased afemale with horns and i had also heard about this and wondered if it worked i have several kids that are 10-12 weeks old i recently purchased them and they also have horns coming out about 1 inch long are they to big to disbud if so would banding them work, i have never disbudded one i was gonna have my vet show me how ive heard a lot of horror stories about frying there brains or causing brain damage is it as complicated as some people make it out to be.

5. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Disbudding is always better, but you need to have someone teach you how. Don't try it without seeing it done beforehand. The vet might still be able to disbud them if they are only an inch long. Some people take a hoof nippers & cut the horn off & then burn it if it is not too long.

Most goats will have a huge attitude change once they realize they no longer have horns. The last buck I had done is sweet as can be now.

You do need to be careful about not knocking them off before they are ready. This can cause them to bleed pretty bad. I haven't had any trouble with it, but I know it can happen.

6. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a doe back in November, with horns and a bad attitude. I plan on banding her horns, but how do you keep them from breaking off if the goat is so nasty she butts everything in sight? Emily is a horrible brat, picks on the other goats and even the sheep. One of my ewes is bald-headed from Emily biting and butting her head.

7. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I have not had any that butted once the bands were on. I think it hurt them enough that they realized butting would make it worse. Just imagine a slight headache until they fall off. I have not had any act like it was really painful, but I think it's enough to get them to stop the bad behavior.