Does this wording worry anyone else?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by asher, Nov 27, 2006.

1. asher

asher Well-Known Member

Specifically for those that have their kids in public school.

I received a note home today for a field trip for my kids. Telling where they will be going (a junior high school), but not why.

Anyway, there have been three semi serious bus accidents here lately and it's been enough to scare me.

Here are the words (in addition to not knowing WHY they are going, but being told I have to sign it today) that scare me a bit, giving this much power to someone else over my child. Not just because of this field trip in general, but it also hit me over the head at how much power they have over them day to day in school, anyway. (However, I guess since I only live about a mile from the school, I feel a little more secure being so close to them than if they are on field trips? *shrug*)

"In the event of any injury or illness to my child, who was born on (fill in the blank), I hereby authorize the adult chaperones and teachers of the (name)Schools of (location) NC to secure whatever treatment is deemed necessary for my child'sbest interest, including administration of an abesthetic and surgery if such is appropriate. I understand that every effort will be made to contact me before any major treatment is provided to my child and that this consent is to prevent a dangerous delay in case an emergency does occur and I cannot be reached."

Signed,
    Worrywart and likely overprotective mum :help:

2. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

No, it seems pretty standard. But if you're worried, sign up to be a chaperone. Kids love when their parents are chaperones. Except when they are in high school and then it makes a fun threat.
    "Honey, I've signed up to be a prom chaperone."
    Then stand back and listen to the howls of outrage about ruining their lives. :p

3. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

They're just covering all bases - there IS a problem with treating a minor if the parent hasn't consented (with the exception of life-threatening injuries). But if you kid breaks his arm, and they can't get ahold of you right away, wouldn't you want them treated?

I can see where it would give you pause, since there have been accidents. You can always not give permission for your child to go - but then you could keep them wrapped in bubblewrap all the time too.

{{{worrywart}}}

I'm not sure how they could word the thing without making you think of the possibility of your child being injured.

4. asher

asher Well-Known Member

I guess it is. I've just never really sat and thought about how much I am putting my kids in to someone elses hands. Scared me a bit, to be honest.

5. asher

asher Well-Known Member

They probably couldn't! LOL Regardless, they aren't going. I'm going to pick them up early that day and we'll go learn something at my friends farm or something. LOL (I think it's just a Christmas play, but I'm not going to consent for them to go to something when I don't even know what it is.)

6. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

My kids do this to me all the time.... them: Oh I need this signed -me: where are you going? -them: um, a play it think.... me: how long have you known about this? -them: um, a cupla weeks.... me: did they give you a notice? them: um, yeah it's in my backpack, er, no maybe in my locker? GAHHHHH!
    They drive me nuts. The wording is just their cya boilerplate. Don't worry so much!

edited to add: I do ask every day how was your day, what did you do at school, anything going on, done your homework? still, duh!

7. asher

asher Well-Known Member

I did before the baby...but they don't take too kindly to me tagging along with a 4 1/2 and 1 1/2 yr old and we don't have (nor can afford) sitters. LOL

Hill Crest - actually the teachers just sent them home today (I check their bags every day). Pretty short notice, isn't it?

8. menollyrj

menollyrj Joy Supporter

The medical release is standard, as stated before. It allows for emergency treatment of your child. In fact, most schools have a medical release already on file for your child. I had to sign one when I registered my kindergartener last year.

As for the purpose of the trip, just ask. It is likely for a holiday play or concert of some sort. The school has to tell you why!!

If you are concerned about the power/control level of the school on your child's daily life, I encourage you to be involved and stay in contact with your child's teachers as well as continue asking, "How was your day today? What did you do in ________ class?" Information is power!

-Joy

9. asher

asher Well-Known Member

LOL I know it's standard. I guess just with everything going on lately, this is the first time I've really let it sink in how much power I give to others over my kids by having them in school. Just kind of scarey to me.

10. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

I agree, it's scary, but then so often life is just that way. :(

Heck, that's nothing. For my DD to participate in gymnastics, I had to sign a waiver absolving the YMCA of any claim regarding severe injuries including DEATH. Talk about scary!

11. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

If you don't feel comfortable with them going, don't sign the form. I've thought about it a couple of times. They come up with other things to do with the children who's parents don't want them to go.

12. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Sure they do...but I wouldn't want to be the kid left behind. :(

13. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

It's boilerplate. Think about it, if there were a horrible bus accident, or some such tragedy, wouldn't you want your child to be treated ASAP instead of waiting to hunt you down/ I know the whole I carry a cellphone, I am home all the time, yadda, yadda, yadda. But, Murphy's Law dictates that when people most need to reach you, the planets will align in some mystical configuration that intterupts phone service to your home. Never fails.

Plus, ER staff tend to be very leary about treating a child without parental consent. So ... they are only going to do what is absolutely necessary to stabilize your child and make sure they are out of immediate danger without your being present. They would do the same thing without the permission slip.

Nikki

14. asher

asher Well-Known Member

hehe Mine likes it because he goes to his brothers classroom and they think that's neat! ;) (Only happened one other time and wasn't for a field trip.)

15. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

I would not want my child to miss out on an excursion that is deemed necessary or desirable as part of the child's education. Equally, in case of an accident, I would want my child to have access to proper medical attention. You never know, a delay of just a few minutes could be a matter of life or death.

It seems that the school is making every endeavour to protect both themselves and the children. They DO indicate that they'll try to contact you in an emergency. I work as a volunteer for an organisation that deals with children participating in physical activities (sports etc) as well as Vacation Care, Before/After School Care etc. Accidents happen. Believe me, I've spent many a frantic few minutes ringing to inform parents of an incident and the action taken. You can take it from me that the very best efforts are made for the children, and for the parents. We have never had a complaint.

It would seem logical that if you are particularly anxious about your child that you should accompany him/her on such outings. Your help would be greatly appreciated by the staff, I'm sure. They are always grateful for any help they can get on such outings, and besides, it's nice to have an insight into (and interest in) what they're learning at school.

You will be aware that the school will have a comprehensive insurance policy to protect the children. If you don't sign the indemity/permission form, your child will not then be covered by the policy. In that case, the school has the right to refuse to take the child on outings. Rightfully so. The reason the form asks for personal details such as date of birth, is to ensure the correct identity of the child in case of an accident and a subsequent claim.

16. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

well, when my children were in school, there were things on the form that I would not consent to. I would just draw a line thru the clauses that were unacceptable or add wording that clarified and then put my initials there and signed the form.

One of the clauses in the school forms was something about disposing of body parts... (no, call me first)

I probobly wouldnt consent to surgery without specifying in a life threatening situation. If my children will be on an outing, and needs surgery to set a broken arm, they can wait until I can get there.

also write thier weight and med allergies on the form so they have it in case of emergency.

For a field trip consent, I would note...
    *For this trip only* and put the date and time.

17. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

The year I took mine out of public school, their school required a blanket permission form at the beginning of the year for going anywhere/everywhere they decided to take them. There was no notice ahead of time for specific trips. I'd find out afterwards. I was not a happy camper about this, having just moved from a school district where they were very careful to let parents know everything they would be doing and everywhere they would be going.
    I think it was one of the things that pushed me over the edge. :rolleyes:

That said, the permission to obtain medical care seems prudent to me.

mary

18. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

:eek:

19. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

Couldn't you just call in the morning to find out what the trip if for? :shrug:
    Then if you are going to keep your kid from participating in something, then at least you know what it is.

I don't have a big problem with the waivers, but then I plaster the forms with everybody's number, work number, cell number, phone of grandparents, etc. Usually amounts to about a dozen phone numbers.

Concerns over what happens on field trips is usually why I GO on the field trips whenever possible. How else would I have learned about the cornfield in the shape of WA State? Or how our city waste water works? :help:

20. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Pretty standard permission slip around here.

As a matter of fact when my grandson is staying with another they are given such permission slips. It doesn't matter if it is a grandparent, aunts, uncles, etc. such permission slips accompany the visit. When SIL and daughter keep nieces and nephews they as well always have permission slips.

Perhaps because so many of them are teachers or school connected they see the need.