Does this sound like a good tractor?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oz in SC, Jun 22, 2004.

1. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

In our local paper someone is selling a Ford tractor model 1920 with front loader and 72 inch mower for $3500.From doing a little searching it seems like this model has 32 HP.

Would this make a good first tractor for general work around the homestead?
    Anyone know any of the particulars of this model and what years it was made,stuff like that.

Also anything I should ask about this tractor?

I will try and call tomorrow and see what is up with it as that seems like a pretty good price.

Thanks all.
    oz

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Depending on the condition of the tractor that is a very good price. Almost too cheap!

3. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

That is far too cheap of a price for that tractor.
    Make sure you do a lien search before buying it, and also a check with police is in order too, to see if it is stolen.

I read that a fair number of tractors listed on Ebay need further checking on. If it sells, the seller simply goes and steals one to fill the order.

They also show pictures of tractors they don't even own.

Since this is a local tractor, cover your bases by checking it out good. Don't let them deliver it as they might come later and steal it back if not a legit sale.

Certainly not everyone is dealing in illegal transactions, as a matter of fact the numbers are small. Just use common sense.

4. oz in SC

Around here there is little to no use for a tractor of this size.

This is the land of at most 1 acre lots and the only tractors I see are used by the people selling palmetto trees.

I will find out more tomorrow.

Thanks.

5. Ohiosteve

Ohiosteve Well-Known Member

I agree with the others. Are you sure that it isn't a typo and not 13,500? That would be high but closer to the right price. Those Ford compact diesels are nice but if you get one with a loader 4wd is almost a must have.

6. With loader & 4wd, it should be in the $7-12,000 range. Without 4wd, it's worth a lot less. You didn't say which.... Age & condition make a lot of difference tho. Some of the little parts are really, really spendy - like starters.

Nice machines, I got a 1720 NH with 4wd & loader.

--->Paul

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Ford made a 2WD & 4WD 1920 with Shuttle Shift. If it is like their Select-o-speed (about like an automatic transmission), back away from the tractor with your fingers in the shape of a cross. Transmissions great when they work, but almost impossible to get repaired. May be why it is so cheap.

1920 was made from 87-93 in 2WD, 87-94 with the 2WD Shuttle Shift and $87-94 for the 4WD and 87-94 for the 4WD Shuttle Shift. My price guide is several years old now, but average auction prices ran from $6,762 to $8,317. All had Shibaura 4-cyl engines with 28.5 PTO HP.

Before purchasing go to the Ford dealer you would use for parts and repairs and ask if they repair the Shibaura engine.

As noted by others, stick with the tractor brand popular with your area as there will be local parts sources and repair for it.

8. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

It's a great small tractor, and the price is way, way too low. They've got a ton of torque for a small tractor, and have no problem with a 5 foot bushhog, or a 6 foot finish mower (if you ain't cutting hay :) ).

But the caveat about the transmission is correct.

9. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

As others have noted, Its a nice compact tractor but the price is almost too good to be true. Its its on the up and up then go for it.

10. oz in SC

Called the seller this morning from work and it WAS priced wrong in the paper-it was $4500 but he had sold the mower so was letting it go for $4000.

It is about ten years old with the motor replaced 3 years ago,4WD and had been used to mow the sides of the road in a development here in Beaufort.
    It is actually only about ten minutes from my house.The loader had rarely been used as they had a backhow for any heavy work.

UNFORTUNATELY between talking to him this morning while at work and this afternoon at 4PM he had sold it....

Ohh well guess it wasn't meant to be.

Thanks for all the help.
    oz.

11. So it was 4wd. Just, please say those prices never included the loader & backhoe????????????

--->Paul

12. oz in SC

Yep,it was $4000 with the loader. :waa:

Also It is so close I could have driven it home .:D

Anyway I left my number in case the first buyer can't swing the deal so you never know.

13. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

Great deal though, 4wd is important, we just bought a 1995 massey 1230 with hydro and a loader. I was pulling down a small building with it and was slipping before I turned on 4wd, when i turned it back on, it ripped the roof in half then the side off of the building (it was just a little leanto but still) When scooping gravel, to redo our road, it slips even with the 4wd some. Its a nice small handy tractor. It cost 10,000, with low hours. Good Luck with the search

14. oz in SC

I am looking at some other tractors on Ebay and most are NOT 4WD but ARE BIG-like 50 HP or so.

One is a Ford 4400 with loader,bush hog,and box blade for(at this time) $3500 or so.

It is relatively close(Florida) but I am not sure whether to put off buying a tractor and concentrate on other aspects.

15. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

oz, I went to ebay and looked at the 4400. It certainly is a rough tractor. The blue paint is a facade for the rust and bad conditioned yellow paint that is underneath. The implements, box scape and brushhog are junk, IMO. The top of the brushhog is not the original and the shanks and teeth are missing from the boxscrape. The bucket on the tractor has a decent cutting edge and the tractor does have a PTO. Like the owner stated, I do not see any evidence of leaks. However, I question if it has the fluids in it. If the appearance of the tractor is any indicator of the overall condition of the tractor, I would leave it set where it is. You can find a good tractor, one that has been cared for and sheltered from a retiring farmer if you are patient. Having incurred the expense of buying a farm you do not want to incur expenses of repairing a tractor. It is better to buy a good tractor than to try to convert a questionable tractor into a good one.

16. oz in SC

Thanks Agmantoo,I DID think the paint was pretty new looking.

IS this a good tractor in itself?
    In other words IF I found a similar model would this be something to consider?

I am all over the place when it comes to this and should really just wait until it is really more of a need....But you know how that goes :D

We are READY to be up there!!! :)