Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited a friend last week and my DS7 broke out into a red splotchy rash on his face. The rash was not raised just looked like red splotches. I'm thinking he touched his face after touching something he is allergic to. Because your could almost see finger print like red splotches. His eyes became very red, itchy and hurt. He complained of a sore throat and sounded a little wheezy.

DS7 has food allergies (walnuts and pecans) and had eaten a cracker so I didn't know if it was food related even though the cracker had no nuts in it.

Then today I visited another friend and DS7 got the same symptoms but not as severe. He hadn't eaten anything so I know it couldn't be food related but both friends have cats. Could he be allergic to the cats? He didn't pet them at all.

Do you think I should go to the doctors and see about skin testing because I'm worried about the wheezing and the sore throat he gets? I gave him a benedryl after we left and stopped at a pharmacy and now have them in my purse. He already carries an epi-pen for his nut allergy.

Thoughts please.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
If he had not touched the cats, I would wonder about the splotchiness. My daughter who is allergic to cats, only has a problem if she touches them. However, my son is highly allergic to that carpet fresh stuff, and simply walking in socks on a carpet that it has been used on will make his whole body break out in hives.

I would try to eliminate things before I did the skin testing. Maybe take him to a pet store and pet a cat (with the benadryl and epi-pen handy!). Then look into something that is more airborne like potpourri, air freshener, etc.

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Sure wouldn't hurt! Both times my son ended up in ER from allergies he hadn't touched the triggers (grass one time, dirt the other time). He did step out on the porch after his sister finished mowing so I guess the grass oils were in the air.

He was mildly allergic to cats as a child and would get the splotchy looking skin with wheezing and tremendous amounts of sneezing if in a small place with a cat.

Based on my experiences with my son, I would say to have him tested.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Could be cats or could be anything. It's hard to say. I nephew came to see his children and started swelling and turn red and splotchy. He is allergic to cats and I have 4. He didn't touch them, but the kittens were running around stirring up their allergens.

It could also be a number of cleaning products. I would start keeping some Benedryl in my purse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts