Does this seem fair to you???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by barbarake, Nov 17, 2004.

1. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

I have a house on 9 wooded acres. I have access right along the edge of a pasture. No problems with the pasture owner - he's very nice. Right now the access road is just dirt - I'll probably eventually gravel it but I'm in no big hurry.

The only other person using the road would be whomever buys the 1.6 acre lot next to my land.

Someone actually came to look at the lot a couple of weeks ago. He won't buy it (it's way overpriced) but talking with him brought up some questions for the future.

I paid for power to be brought to my property - cost $2,400. Graveling the road would cost not quite that much. I sort of planned to suggest to the future owner of the lot that s/he should pay for the graveling since I paid for the power. Would that seem fair to you as a prospective buyer of the lot??

Two - what if the future owner wants to put in an asphalt driveway. That would cost about $10,000 (real rough estimate). Could I be forced to pay half of it even though I'd be perfectly content with a gravel driveway (heck, I don't mind a dirt driveway :) )??

2. Donovan K

Donovan K Well-Known Member

Tough one.. first. you say you have access. Does that mean you own it or have an easement? If it is an easement, that complicates things as the owner has to agree to any changes. Its his land and while he has to make your property accessable, he doesnt have allow pavement.

JMHO

Donovan

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Your designated R of R should have been spelled out in your contract for Purchase when you initially negotiated the deal . The details of which should have been incorporated into the deed for your property . The dimensions and meets and bounds description should have been taken care of by the surveyor when you made the purchase . Then , the Title ins policy which the origional Owner should have provided TOO you would have taken care of any problems later on , fordy... :) :eek:

4. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

I would say that your power co. has control over the line that brings your power. If they extended a main line to you they still own the line and can use it as THEY wish. If it is a private line from your boundry line you could not sell elec. to others. The power will be no lever in neg. over a drive. It might be in your best interest to buy the other lot to do away with the prob. that may come your way.

5. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I'm with Wanda. Check the agreement you signed with the power company. It's almost a certainty that you gave them a right of way/easement which includes the right for them to run lines to adjacent properties.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike

6. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

The power is already in. That is a fact, and now one of the existing features of the property for sale. Being close to power will now be one of the considerations the seller will use to set the price, and a major consideration of the eventual buyer.

You really can't use it as a bargaining item any more, since you have effectively already given it to them. This isn't unusual in subdivisions. When one person brings power in it increases the value of property all around him.

It's my guess that the buyer won't be interested in doing more than sharing the price of road improvements with you.

7. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

It seems very fair to me!

But getting from the point of "Seems Fair" to the actual task of $$$ changing hands is an entirely different matter.

The electricity is in. To the person that purchases the land, this is ancient history that doesn't concern them in the least. Human nature.

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

All of this needed to be spelled out in the various contracts you have - road easement needed to be in your deed. Electric was an agreement with your power company.

The 'nice guy' and the 'fairness' of any of this has absolutely no meaning or value whatsoever.

None.

Fogetaboutit.

You need legal documents that are binding & spelled out. Land & people's attitudes change all the time.

--->Paul