Does this happen with mastitis?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

The vet told me to give 5cc pennecillin for a week to try to get rid of the mastitis. I had milked her out the past few days but today it is one solid lump, almost no liquid. the liquid that did come out was orange and clear. only a few drops of it though. is this it clearing up? It seems like it would turn all liquidy and then go away, not turn into a huge lump. I have no experience with mastitis.

2. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

I too have no experience with mastitis but thought that I would give you some words of advice that I have picked up.

No it doesn't sound like it is clearing up. You have to keep Milking her out and try to get all of that Bacteria out of her udder. Keep giving her the pennecillin as this will also help.

Some people use Hot packs on the udders. You can also try Milking her out till you can't get anymore milk out and then try and massage her udder with some peppermint oil. Then try milking again. The hot packs and message's are important as this will help break up the crud and lumps in her udder.

I hope that this may help you. good luck.

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I've had it, not my critters, and I think you had better call the vet back on Monday.

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

How the heck do you keep a hot pack on a goat?!?!

5. Caprice Acres

I can't milk her out; it is solid exept for a few drops. Get a hot pack on daisy?! hah. she hardly sits still, probably be close to impossible.....

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Could you take one of your bras, get it so the cup part is on her udder, put the hot pack in, and then fasten the clip? I have also heard of people MAKING bras for goats with low hangin udders so I would think that you could make one to put a hot pack in as well.

7. Caprice Acres

hehehehe! goat bra.... lol well anyway I have go go call my vet....... Hehe goatbra..... good Idea though. probably will make one out of a t-shirt and some string though....

8. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I actually am serious though, they use goat bras to milk goats with LOW hanging udders, the ones for milking just have holes for the teats. Good idea though, with the t-shirt and string.

9. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

DEFINEATELY call the vet back. Get her on a stronger anitbiotic if posssible.

If you continue with the pen, she needs to be on it for at LEAST 11 days. I don't know how big she is but I give my big girls (Nubians 150 lb.) about 6cc once a day.

Get some peppermint lotion. You can order it from Caprine Supply or Nasco Supply or I think Jeffers supply carries it. If you can't order it, get some udder balm and mix in a little bit of peppermint oil. Massage her udder with it at least twice a day.

Keep stripping her out. As much as you can get out do it. Do it at least 3 times a day. the more you can the beter 5 or 6 times a day would be better.

Dip her teats after each stripping. use Novalson teat dip, fight back teat spray, or at the least dip her teats in iodine.

Hot compresses don't have to be left on. Just hold them on for a couple minutes before and or after you are stripping her. Alternate between hot and cold compresses.

Massage massage massage! With the peppermiont lotion. This increases circulation and helps to break up clumps.

10. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

We would flank her, and then I put a corn sock on her udder. She loved it. Fill and old stray sock with whole corn. Microwave it and it stays warm for a long time.
    www.geocities.com/buckshotboers2003

11. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

We had a bad case of mastitis....gave the cephloxin infusion nightly for 3 nights I believe it was. She also got Nuflor--6cc/100 the first night, then 3cc/100# for three more nights. I am a firm believer in polyserum...it is a bottle of feedlot cattle antibodies...it has saved more than one of my goats.
    Give her 10cc of polyserum...you can get it at jeffers. Then we spend 30 minutes massaging the udder and applying the hot corn. It works as a moist heat really. Make sure and give her probiotics. I like Calf Pac from loveland Industries. Not the one made by probios...
    You can get it at CEE Sales800-851-3170. No, I don't get any kickbacks.
    It is great stuff...comes in powder form with a scooper. Heat nor cold destroys it. We also give it to the market wethers and 4-H steers. It contains 5 micro-organisms where the other brands contain 3.
    www.geocities.com/buckshotboers2003
    www.geocities.com/gonzalesshowpigs

12. Caprice Acres

let me see. she is 100lbs or so. vet said 5cc a day I didn't call the vet today because the lump is now smaller but still hard. I think that is an improvement. vet said to call after a week if it isn't better. today is day 4. it isn't like the whole udder, just the teat and about and under two inches "behind" the teat. I won't be able to strip her out more than maybe twice, I have to go to school. I couldn't get anything out today. I don't know when I can get all that stuff, my father has a heavy workload this week. I do have fightbac and udder balm. I may just be able to send my father out for the corn (deer feed) and peppermint oil in the morning before he goes to work. I do think the pennecillin is working though. next time I go to feed store I will get probiotics, I have heard so many people reccomend them. Can't go this week though :(

13. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

Keep Massaging her udder and try and break up the blockage in her teat.