Does that "Holy Grail" Homesteading location exist? Need help.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sventvkg, Dec 9, 2004.

1. sventvkg

sventvkg Member

Hi Everbody..I've searched this entire site and read all relevant posts but I still can't decide on a location that's right to buy land and build, for a self sustaining lifestyle...I like mountians, Don't mind winters, just not 6-7 month winters like here in Alaska...Do NOT LIKE IT HOT!!! Could never work outside in temps much over 80 degrees..Is there such a place like this that also has affordable land prices, doesn't have strict building codes, isn't in a state that has NAZI Gun laws???? I've been searching and searching and searching and can't seem to come up with the right place..I've been to every state and across the country many times to i'm quite familiar with what's out there so that just makes it more frustrating!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Well Sven, one of your big limiting factors is the 80 degree thing. I think almost every state in the lower 48 has a signifigant number of days over 80. We have a nice temperate climate here in Ohio, but it does get over 80. And where ever you would move, you would eventually get used to it. (MOST people do.) In my opinion, West Virginia has some good weather, cheap land, and few rules. And it's not filled with ticks and chiggers (there are a few) like some places. Not a bunch of poisonous animals etc. Obviously you have to make sure that you aren't buying the side of a mountain there if you are going to farm it. You need to have a few good acres of ground for gardens, pastures etc. And N. Kentucky isn't too bad either. IMHO.

3. sventvkg

sventvkg Member

Yea I can not foresee doing outside work much over 80 degrees on a regular basis...If it gets that hotter then that here or there, Thats cool..I should have said that I grew up in FL and was born in New Jersey so I know the heat!! If it's lower 48 it's probably going to have to be mountain elevation or North of Mass, Wyonming etc...Like it to cool down nice in the evenings even in summer! West Virginia is a good idea to look into, in some of the higher elevation areas...Thanks@!

4. FarmerJeff

FarmerJeff Well-Known Member

Hi sventvkg,

I lived in Alaska for a year on the Kenai. We left to return to farming in New England. Now as the situation gets more and more draconian down here, we are seriously contemplating returning. When I was up there, I was a firefighter for the Forest (dis)Service. God how I miss Salmon and arm-long Rainbow Trout.

How are you making a living up there? Most of the folks that I knew up there were living in state subdivisions and working for feds or for the railroad. We are very, very experienced carpenters, hunters and gardener's so we know we can make it up there. We have good savings as well. Just curious what your situation is and why you want to leave? Is it just the winter that gets to you?

5. sventvkg

sventvkg Member

I find the winters a couple months too long and the homesteading opportunities limited...but's tough to find another place to call home once you've lived in Alaska...I'm in Eagle River, outside of Anchorage..I just see the homesteading and sustainable living life tough up here...Maybe i'm wrong but I dont know...I know I will return here often..I have a bus and plan to make summer trips up. As you know summer in Alaska has no comparison in the lower 48..It's just the greatest...high 60's to lower 80's around here during the day and cooling down to the mid-upper 50's at night!!! PERFECT!!!

I'm actually a Singer Songwriter and make a living at it..have made a living at it everywhere i've lived so I'm lucky..but it's limited up here and that's one of the reasons I want to leave..I have opportunities in Nashville so I would like to be able get there to play and living up here, that's just not feasable..I'm looking to build an Underground house with solar and Wind power, enough land and greenhouse to keep me in food, a stocked pond maybe as well..Will hunt, fish, trap etc....Will have a greenhouse, use woodstove, etc etc...Anyway, I just see trying to live that kind of life up here very tough with the winters effectively being 7 months....

6. kate

kate Well-Known Member

as i sit here in rainy wa, molding, i long for arizona, new mexico, anywhere , where it is dry and warm.................................
    seriously the ideal life would be to spend summers where you are and winters where you would like to be. i have wanted to do that for years and actually could, except, what would i do with my animals,?? so i stay and suffer :waa:

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Northern Maine is cheap and quite a few bars to sing in!!!

www.mooersrealty.com

aroostook county.....LindaAK just moved from AK to northern maine if you can find her on this site.

I have always lived in Maine but have been to AK....our jobs pay less, but it is cheaper to live, but hunting and fishing are not as bountiful but you can easily keep chickens and goats and a good garden. We have longer days in the winter...shorter in the summer. Low population, mostly white, but quite tolerant of others....

Western Maine has mountains(not many good jobs seasonal at Sugarloaf MTN and at fishing lodges in summer or road crew for stateDOT)...we own two pieces there (hunting cabin and future home land) but more expensive. We live and work in central augusta-Waterville area for now.

A search on Alaska will help you find Linda....bet she could give you more info.

I might add that our MNTs are more like Alaskan hills :eek:

8. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Hey MP,

Is this right or just a typo? Your winter days are longer than your summer days? Sounds sort of cool if it's right.

9. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Northern Minnesota might suit your climate desires. Some 80+ degree days in summer, but generally pleasant and cool nights. Mosquitoes are plenty from about June to August. You can adapt to growing all sorts of plants with cold weather technique gardening. Some seasons are better than others for the warm weather crops like tomatoes or melons, but varieties exist to adapt to that somewhat. Good fishing in these parts for a variety of temperate to cold water species depending on the type of lake nearby. Hunting for deer is generally good and small game such as grouse or ducks. Domestic livestock animals and poultry are kept with good management and shelter. Weather is fairly stable with the odd hail storm, but nothing drastic like further south that has more viscous storm weather. Winter months are very cold in January and February getting down to -40, but then there are breaks when it thaws. By April, it's pretty nice and bug free until May. Fall is outstanding for outdoor activities. Summer has long days from about 4 a.m. to 11 p.m. daylight. Winter depths of short days peak out with about 13 hour 'nights'. By February it's nice ice fishing weather until lake thaw about late April to mid May. Rivers would flow before that about March. Not too populated north of about Virginia or Bemidgi. Some nice land around from marginal to fairly productive some crops hay and cow/calf operations, etc.

10. mpillow

Maine winter daylight is longer than Alaska winter daylight
    Maine summer daylight is shorter than alaska summer daylight ;)

11. sventvkg

sventvkg Member

My sister is moving to Waterboro Maine next May and I have seriously been considering Maine as a good alternative to AK...Do you own land near Bethel? My father used to own a bar and restaurant there called The Opera House in the late 70's and a great cabin up on a mountain!!! I could live in that area for sure!! Never been North of Ilesboro Maine and will be heading up there next Summer when I visit my sister. Will check out Northern Maine for sure!

12. mpillow

Waterboro is not too far from China more towards the coast than we are.... our cabin is between Rangely lakes and Flagstaff Lake in Coplin Plantation close to Dead River (pretty good trout fishing for Maine). Our other land is in Lexington TWP near Kingfield. It has mountain views and alot of frontage on Sandy Stream which is also not too bad trout fishing and great neighbors...my parents.
    and good hunting. moose and deer
    Some western maine links for real estate... Farmington(a collegetown) and rangely (expensive) areas....not real familiar with bethel area but I do know its a ski area with private school (Gould Academy I think) Healthcare is also a good job in Farmington area actually the whole state is begging for healthcare workers...northern Maine too.

www.byme.com/ngr/
    www.noyesrealty.com
    www.morton-furbish.com
    www.beanandsmith.com

www.surette-realestate.com has multiple search ability

13. mpillow

more links...

www.state.me.us

I think there is relocation info. and you may checkout Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (our BLM kind of)

www.kjonline.com Augusta newspaper with other links

www.mainetoday.com

www.wlbz2.com news station website

I think the Farmington newspaper is called the Sun Journal...in Franklin County and Lewiston/Auburn areas.

14. sventvkg

sventvkg Member

Right on, Thanks@!

15. sventvkg

sventvkg Member

Oh wow..I just found where all your land is on a map...that looks about where I would like to be!! Near mountains but with enough land to still homestead as well....

16. mpillow

I am embarrased to say that I confused waterboro with waldoboro....waterboro is practically New Hampshire....pricey and I bet property taxes are high there...every town, city township, unorganized town has a different rate of property tax.......southern maine is ridiculous.......unorganized townships are much cheaper but almost always farther away from employment centers...my parents went from paying around $22/1000 on property value in Whitefield to around $11/1000 in Lexington (bigger house and more land). And Portland is now being called "little Boston". Ogunquit (near waterboro) is known for its gay/lesbian population..... :rolleyes:

Property tax reduction is a big to do right now in our legislature. We also have income tax here in Maine unlike AK and no PFD. We are trying to get a tax on Poland Spring bottled water and their "new" aquifer is close to where my parents live...I think this tax would help offset property taxes but nothing is certain....

If you have any questions.........ask away!

17. sventvkg

sventvkg Member

Been looking at those real estate sites for the mountain areas...Mostly more then I wanted to spend for land but there are some parcels that were the right $$...I was hoping to get like 5 acres or so for like $20K..Probably have to move further out for that price but it's doable in that region for $30K from what I'm seeing..Not plentiful but there are some parcels available for that...

As far as My sister and southern Maine, yes, it's practically Boston and I have no desire to be near there! She lives in Palm Beach County FL now and Real Estate has gone up so much there, she's going to sell her place for $375K and she's looking at 20 acres and a 4 bedroom house in North Alfred. Waterboro for like $250K so she's excited about it!!..She and I are on different levels when it comes to $$!!!!...I'm going to grow things and live in an underground house, and she'll have a nice new home!!! LOL...

How far is the Farmington area from her, and how long does it take to drive there?

I still don't know much about Northern Maine and can't wait to go check it out.

Area's north of you like Pscataquis County look interesting as well...

18. mpillow

Farmington to Sanford is 114 miles about a 2 hr drive and two different worlds I might add!

Some of the towns surrounding Farmington that have low taxes are New Vineyard, Freeman TWP, Weld, Industry

for Somerset County Lexington, Embden (lots of land for sale) Palmyra is also cheap with alot for sale and close to Interstate 95 between Bangor and Waterville, cities.

Piscataquis county is basically Moosehead Lake and Baxter State park...only a few "real" roads....Millinocket in town is cheap to buy a house but there is no work. Check out the mooers site and the prices will make you laugh they are so cheap but again jobs are hard to find.....

If you find a place you like email the real estate company and be sure to ask what the "mil rate" is for the town and look for something less than $16/1000.

Just an aside....5 years ago your sister could have bought that place in Maine for about half! Housing is getting scarce due to sprawl in Southern Maine.

19. Job's3dAnswer

Job's3dAnswer Well-Known Member

My brother has a place up in Abbot, just south of Moosehead Lake. He tried to get dw and myself to go up that way, but we were looking more towards Eastern Tennessee. From what he says it seems to be nice country up there.

20. sventvkg

sventvkg Member

Crazy...I HATE TAXES by the way and unless they are relatively cheap, i'm not going to live there...:) I'm not that worried about a place to work..I have various types of income and for gigging I have no problem going out of town here and there...

...and I know about the land prices up near where my sister is moving..I think it funny, but she is very conventional..her husband is a builder and she's a Financial Aid Director of a college but she will be quitting to spend the rest of my Nephew's school years at home raising them..The Grind in FL has prevented that and she and husband are over that...They will make enough off their property that to them, Maine will be a cheaper, more laid back lifestyle...he already has good work lined up..

I personally don't want to be in an area that's too populated..I suspect I'll be doing alot of miles in my bus next year looking at areas! Thanks so much fo the info by the way!