Does she need 2 boxes for 12 kits?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by nuby, Apr 29, 2004.

1. nuby

nuby Active Member

My New Zealand's 12 kits are 3 days old now. I'm wondering if it is really necessary or wise to put another nesting box in and separate the kits? There would barely be enough room for her to move around in the cage if I add another box. However, the nesting box she has now is about the size she is herself. Is that how it's supposed to be or should it be bigger? We got it from a friend and they may have raised smaller breeds.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

For New Zealands, we use nesting boxes that are 18 inches long by 10 inches wide. That's fine for the doe and 12 babies. Make sure all the babies are alive. Sometimes on large litters a couple won't get fed.

3. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

A good line of NZ is very capable of raising 12 kits. If you have another doe that kindled within a coule days you can foster some out but I have NZ that raise 12 just fine. She is a keeper and you want to keep replacement stock out of her.

4. nuby

nuby Active Member

Great! Thanks you two :eek: It sure is nice to have such a great doe for our first time. And she was only 10 bucks, pregnant :D