Does Ram harness Crayon come out?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by ONThorsegirl, Sep 13, 2005.

1. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Just wondering but does the Ram Harness Crayon/Chalk come out of the wool once it is on the wool. I'm only thinking of our show ewes who I would like to breed. WE bath them but I was wondering if the colour will come out of the wool with the soap, we use Orvis Livestock Soap. Weird Question I know.

Thanks, Melissa

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The markers from ccwg? Comes out too fast if you ask me!

3. ONThorsegirl

Yep those are the ones we use. Ok Good, We wanted to breed these ewes so that they are bred now and don't have to wait until the last 2 fairs are done but I wasn't expecting them to come into season so quickly. I put the ram in yesterday and he has apparently bred one ewe but his chalk is everywhere!! LOL

What colours do you find work the best? We have never had luck with yellow but we mainly use blue and red at different times.

Melissa

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

As you say the yellow is difficult to see but I dislike the red as we still face coyote attacks and I pefer to see damages and not the marker. We've used them all with no real preference. The winter versions seem to mark the best as they are softer but get used up faster too.

5. ONThorsegirl

Hi Ross, Well we bathed and well lets jsut say our excuse is that the "red" blaket we had bled threw. It came off alright but they have a pretty shade of pink to their wool. We were using the all weather ones. They are really soft it is probably the heat that makes them so soft. We should have gotten the summer ones with this weather. Holy Smokes!!

Thanks, Melissa