Does oncoming traffic stop for a funeral procession where you live?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Boleyz, May 29, 2007.

1. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

Maybe it's just a southern courtesy, but most places south that I've lived, when we see a hearse coming the opposite direction on the road, everyone immediately pulls to the edge of the highway and stops until the entire procession (indicated by headlights) passes completely by.

Then, traffic resumes. It usually only takes a minute or 2 and I think it's a pretty nice show of respect for the folks who are grieving.

Overtaking and passing a funeral procession from behind is also just not done around here. You follow, at a distance...even if it means a 35 mph trip of several miles...

Any such habits where you live?

2. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

We also pull over and stop when meeting a funeral procession. I dunno if everybody does it, but that's how we were taught.

3. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Same courtesy around here.

Angie

4. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

We don't pull over, but we don't cut in, and we stop at the intersection until it passes. Only exception would be if the procession goes on the expressway.

5. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

The only place here that we'd see a funeral procession is a 4 lane highway complete with stoplights, so people don't stop. There isn't enough room for everyone to pull over, and most people wouldn't notice.

We have a place about 100 miles N in a small town and it is common to do that, but I've just seen one procession there.

I was picking up rabbits in a town about 60 miles away and was on a 2 lane hwy. I wasn't paying mind to what was coming, and then I got to 3 cars all pulled over with people inside. I looked back and saw the hearse. I pulled over until it passed, but had the other cars not been there, I wouldn't have been aware enough to know.

6. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

It's done here too, I always stop and if I'm wearing a cap it comes off as well.

7. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Funny you ask. Just this Saturday, there was a funeral for a young soldier killed in Afghanistan. I had two of my daughters with me and we pulled over. But on top of that, I looked ahead and folks had not only pulled over, but gotten out and bowed their heads. It was truly a sight to behold, close to 5-600 people lining the main drag. I got to teach the girls a lesson too. I heard, "Daddy, why are we stopping? Let's go!!" I got to teach them that this young man gave the ultimate sacrifice and deserves our respect, and so does anyone....ANYONE else that dies.

8. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

It's the same here. Sometimes there's a cop at a busy corner, occasionally with hat removed.

9. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting question, and yes we pull over as do most other people.

However, I cannot remember the last funeral procession I've come across, and I travel around here quite a bit. It has been many, many years since there has been a procession. Wonder if it is a dying thing as it sure is not done much anymore, and I know people are passing away all the time around here...

10. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

It could be the crematoriums are running strong and people are disposing of ashes rather than toting caskets...

11. We pull over around here too. However, when it comes to meeting an oncoming funeral posesion on a 4 lane with a medium I'm confused as if we should pull over or not. Some do and some don't around here.

12. RachAnn in NW Okla

RachAnn in NW Okla Well-Known Member

I always pull over when I see one.....no matter the highway....even coming from Enid on the 4-lane, people stop

a friend once came upon one from behind.....passed several cars before realizing she had jumped in the middle of a procession.....she sheepishly pulled over when she realized!!!!

Rachel

13. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

I was taught to, but no one really does here. I do, because my mother taught me better, to have respect for other people's grief, but it seems like most people in our "self" centred society find it abhorrent to take thirty seconds out of their day to pay their respects to the dead.

Another sign of the times that I could do without. :rolleyes:

14. Kstornado11

Kstornado11 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never seen anyone NOT stop/pull over around here.

15. oldgaredneck

oldgaredneck Well-Known Member

yep, we pull over here as well.

16. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

That is how we do it here. You do not interfere with the procession. I have not heard of the custom of *oncoming* traffic stopping though, since it would not interefere with the procession's travel. But it sounds like a matter of respect and courtesy that should be extened.

17. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, we pull over here in MS. Doesn't matter how many lanes of traffic there are, if a funeral procession is passing all lanes stop while it goes by.

18. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

I remember as a child in west Michigan everyone would stop. Haven't seen that happen in a couple decades tho :(
    However they still stop and allow the procession through at intersections etc.

19. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

We stop even on the 4 lane highway - both directions of traffic.

20. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

most people do here,there are a few idiots. when my paw inlaw passed, the procession was over a hundred cars ,did not have one car not pull over or try too pass even though we traveled 20 miles. we also get those that do not pull over for emergency vehicles, was happy too see some cops "educating" a bunch of maroons held up a police car!