does not eating, any suggestions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by murphyjamie, Oct 13, 2006.

1. murphyjamie

murphyjamie Well-Known Member

I bought a new sack of feed today. It is the same brand that I have always fed and it does not look molded, it smells normal, no bugs, nothing wrong with it. My wether ate it just fine. The problem is my three does acted hungry, but when I put out the feed they smelled it and turned away. Not sure what to do from here. any suggestions? The only thing different is that we had a cool front last night and the temps dropped a good bit. Should I just wait and tommorrow they will eat again?

2. APPway

APPway Well-Known Member Supporter

I would get a new bag of feed
    even tho you can't smell any mold it still may be moldy as their smell is alot better than ours. I would not take the chance something might be wrong with it.

3. murphyjamie

The date on the bag from when it was bagged was september 9. Could it be moldy already or does sometimes the bag have a different smell that they dont want at first. Kinda like switching feeds?

4. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

As the wether has changed and it is only the does who aren't eating it I would consider that they might be in heat. I had a goat that wouldn't eat or only ate a small amount when in heat. It was a nice sign for me :)

Trying it for a few days then replace it if their dislike for it continues would be my advise.

Oh those picky eaters! gata love'im though ;)

5. murphyjamie

do feed company's usually make any changes from time to time that can cause a difference that the goats pick up on? The feed I'm using is n'timidator show goat from land-0-lakes. To tell you the whole story, the last time I bought feed it took going back to the dealer three times before I got a sack with no bugs in it. Then it was fine and they ate like normal. Now I went back for another sack on Thursday and it looked fine. After sitting in my container for a few hours though I could see just a few weevils?(i think thats how you spell it) so I decided I would go somewhere else for feed. I drove 25 miles for the bag I got yesterday and it looks like nothing in wrong with it. The manufactur date like I said is september 9. They just wont eat it. I'm trying not to have drive all over the country every time I need feed if it is just a change in the taste or smell

6. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

if that would be my goats i would listen to them and don't feed the mix.
    i have my grain mixed at the feed store. it is always the same. 2 parts oats, one part barley and one part corn. no molasse or byproducts as you can see in so many brands.

7. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

Sounds like you need to find a whole new brand of feed. I get my feed from an Agway but agway got bought out by some big whole sale feed company and the Agway feed quality went WAY down!

I complained to the store saying they were selling me old feed. It happens that the ingredients that this new company were using were OLD! So Agway was getting a fresh batch but it was stale before it even reached the bag! The example they gave me was if the ingrediants called for corn this large company would buy old corn flakes!!!

Anyway they dropped the Agway feed and started to provide another brand (Southern States) which is VERY particular about their ingriediants and the quality of them. The owners of the store even when to the factory in Gettysburg PA to check it out and were amazed at the precision and quality of the ingrediants. As well as the cleanliness of the factory.

Anyway I would try another brand. It seems that the brand you are using isn't quality and they don't deserve your patrionage!

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd find a totally new brand or mix your own.....does not sound like a company that deserves your patronage. :nerd: