Does Milk Pink

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tadpole, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Tadpole

Tadpole Tadpole

My Does gave birth to a premature friday 2 weeks ago friday. Have had to milk her out and her milk is pink. I have gave her 4 pemicillin(sp) shots and it still is pink. Has anyone ever had this? What else to do? I'm milking her ever so gentle and yes this was her first baby.

2. Mortgage-Hill

Mortgage-Hill Active Member

it sounds to me that she has mastitis and that the penn is not working, i would try Biomycin, same as La -200 but doesn't hurt them, it is the no sting version. have you tried putting any TODAY in her udder? it is a mastitis treatment that you can order or find at most feed stores, it is used for dairy cows and i have used it with great results. the only bad thing is that if the injectable penn isn't working, the active ingredient in TODAY is penn, sooooo . how much penn did you give her? long lasting or short? and she needs probias, i always give probias when i give an antibotic.

3. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

pink milk is quite common when the udder suddenly fills..tiny capilaries break, causing small amount of blood in the milk. I would NOT be giving pen. shots just for that-does she have a fever? Have foul smelling, unusual discharge? Are you milking her routinely, so the udder is not "engourging?" I would not worry over pink milk, and no other signs of illness. :rolleyes:

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I've had this happen with young goats who make a lot of milk. If the milk is pink rather than bloody and her teats and udder are not hot or sore, what is happening is that there are capillaries in the udder that break from the pressure of her milk coming in. This should get better with time. I've actually fed the pink milk to my bottle babies and it hasn't harmed them.

5. Tadpole

Tadpole Tadpole

I only gave 3cc penn to Lilly 4 days. Stopped day before yesterday. I will treat her in the morning for mastitus. Her baby was under 2 lbs and didn't make it. If I'd had known the little thing wasn't getting teat i could have bottle feed and saved it. I guess you learn as you go with goats. I know I have had my share this year of bad luck. I forgot to say my Lilly has tiny pieces of I guess think stuff that plugs the teat and I have to take that out an try to milk and keep taking that out. Is this the right thing to do? I can see the teat is stopped up that is what I did. There is no other way to get her milked.

6. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Yes, those chunks are the main sign of mastitis. Get ToDay and infuse it in there. I believe twice with a 12 hour break in between... Keep milking her for a while, and then SLOWLY stop so that she heals up and it doesn't come back and she doesn't suddenly have to dry up.

7. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Does she have a fever? Is she eating ok? Is her udder hot and swollen? Pink milk in a just fresh doe isn't a sign of mastitis. It's a sign that her milk capacity is increasing, breaking capilaries to make room for more milk. If she's not sick, I wouldn't be so quick to jump to abx.

Here's a thread on mastitis. Read Vicki's response for good info.
    http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=80802&highlight=mastitis

8. Tadpole

Tadpole Tadpole

She has no Fever at all and has been great about it. Just stands and lets me milk her out.

9. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I don't think it's mastitis then. You could get a CMT kit and test the milk. Just be aware, it's for cows, so you'll get a little gel with goat milk when it's normal.

10. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I had a doe that had those chunks also. (some were as long as spaghetti noodles) I took her in to the vet because I thought for sure she had mastites, but they sad no. What it was the vet said, her teats were so close to the ground that they were PLUGS to prevent anything from getting into her teats. I found out about the PLUGS too late, because I lost one of her babies because he could not get any milk. Thank heavens that has been the only baby (goat at all) I have ever lost. Now when she kids I have to milk her out just a bit to get the plug out.

11. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Also, when a doe is developing her udder after her first kidding, she can lose little bits of tissue that come out as clumps, as well as having pink milk. The first time I saw it, I went into a panic. Now, I own a CMT test, and if I ever get nervous about possible mastitis, I run the test. It's never been positive, and the peace of mind having the test has brought has been invaluable. I think the tests are $10 or $20, and will last you forever.

12. Tadpole

Tadpole Tadpole

Things are looking up I think. 2 milking and no pink milk. I did go and get CMT test and Total also just in case. Just a few question tho. If I had treated her with Total and you still her and after 96 hrs. her milk would still be good? I'm learning alot this year about goats. I tell you it's one thing and then another with them. I seems to be endless of all can go wrong. I'd like to thank all that has helped me.