does lime burn???

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by kidsngarden, Jun 30, 2006.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

The animals anyway. I just got some from the garden store and I was going to use it after cleaning up the pig potty area - but will it burn thier skin? I just thought I had heard something to that effect...

kids

2. chrisntiff

chrisntiff Well-Known Member

I know there are different types of lime. One of them can burn if it is not tilled in the soil real well. I think hydrated lime is the caustic one and dolomite lime is the one that is less harsh. Though I'm not sure and I've heard conflicting info. I hope someone else can answer so I can know for sure as well.

Chris

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Chris You are correct!!! Hydrated Lime is nasty stuff. Commonly used to prepare whitewash solution for dairy barns. In the powder form, It can cause birth defects if pregnant women are exposed to it.

4. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

Ok, so I can clean up the doo and put some dolomite lime down, right? Even though they are in the pen?

kids

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

After cleaning, apply a thin layer like a powdered sugar donut.
    Commonly called Barn Lime or Floor lime at feed stores, may contain some grit for traction. Then put clean bedding on top. Changes PH of floor surface and discourages flies. Try to spread such that you & pigs are not inhaling dust on application.