doe's kindling waste?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Barb Marks, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Barb Marks

Barb Marks Active Member

I have a doe that kindled twice now. Each time there were little "blobs" (for a lack of better word) laying on the cage floor. They look to be almost an inch long and are oblong in shape. The first time around she kindled two live kits, that died because she didn't build a nest and they died on the cage floor before I found them in the morning. The second time she kindled 3 live kits, properly in the nest box. I'm just wondering are these fleshy masses undeveloped kits, if so do I need to stop breeding her? None of my other does has any of these blobs after kindling.
    Thanks

2. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

Sounds like its the placenta( or the sac ?) ???? Thats the first thing that came to mind reading your post, maybe someone else knows ??

They usually clean them up right away ( eat them ) so maybe she didnt get around to it or wasnt sure what to do with them ??

3. Barb Marks

Barb Marks Active Member

I have never seen a rabbits placenta, but I have seen lots of goat afterbirths, horse afterbirths, dogs afterbirth, I gave birth to six children. All of the placentas were soft, much like a deflated sack. The rabbits "blobs" are very firm and white, with just a little blood on the outside.
    Sure would like it to be just the afterbirth!

4. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

Ohh okay well you didnt say it was white so I just assumed it could be the afterbirth, if they were white then I have no clue :haha: Generally if it was deformed kits she passed they will be colored red and marble like or will look like the actually kit but a lot smaller, hopefully someone else has an idea as to what this might be.

5. Dian

Dian Well-Known Member

Hi! I don't know what the little blobs are, but I have seen them often in my cages after the babies are born. I see them often enough to just think it is part of the birthing process. The first few times I did wonder about them though. If anybody knows feel free to share with us. I don't think it is anything to worry about. Enjoy the new babies!