Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you bothered to see tv crews interview family members about a tragic loss of a loved one? The sentencing of Jessica Lundsfords rapist and murderer comes to mind and how the media zeroed in on her poor grieving family in the courtroom, and many more examples to many to mention. Does this seemingly lack of respect bother you?

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
Yes, it bothers me mightily. Actually makes my stomach flip as I flip the channel. :(

I'm reminded of the Don Henley song, "Dirty Laundry." And I wonder 1.) how people can make their living doing that, and 2.) why people watch it.

Pony!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
It bothers me too. A young soldier from this community was killed in Iraq. We were with his family and their phone rang off the hook. Some other family members answered the phone for them since the parents were waiting for a call to notify them of the time his body would be arriving. Every time the phone rang it was some reporter wanting to talk to the parents to interview them on their thoughts "at this time."

Every where they went it seemed there was a reporter with a microphone or camera stuck in their face.

Some people have no common decency. People/reporters like this remind me of vultures.

southrngardngal-Jan

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Why would you expect anything less from the media? Surely you don't actually buy into the belief that they actually care about people, do you?

When you begin to understand that all media (from newspaper to radio to television) are nothing more than a profit-making corporation, then you begin to understand that most of the time its all about profits and not at all about being kind or respectful.

When you realize the media is controlled by its 'paying' sponsers, you begin to understand that they do not care about anything except revenue.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
KCM said:
Why would you expect anything less from the media? Surely you don't actually buy into the belief that they actually care about people, do you?

When you begin to understand that all media (from newspaper to radio to television) are nothing more than a profit-making corporation, then you begin to understand that most of the time its all about profits and not at all about being kind or respectful.

When you realize the media is controlled by its 'paying' sponsers, you begin to understand that they do not care about anything except revenue.

:)
AMEN!! You have nailed it. In my opinion so called "journalists" rank right behind trial lawyers on the scale of slimeballs.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
65284 said:
AMEN!! You have nailed it. In my opinion so called "journalists" rank right behind trial lawyers on the scale of slimeballs.
They wouldn't be showing/printing it if there was no market for it.

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
I'll tell you this! If I was in a situation that was like that and someone stuck a microphone in my face, they'd be very sorry.

What I'd say to them would not be aired and what I'd do with their microphone wouldn't be pretty!

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
Ardie/WI said:
I'll tell you this! If I was in a situation that was like that and someone stuck a microphone in my face, they'd be very sorry.

What I'd say to them would not be aired and what I'd do with their microphone wouldn't be pretty!
Amen to that.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Ardie/WI said:

Ardie, those are almost the exact words I told my husband when all that was going on when Josh died.

Jan

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
yes it bothers me a lot, i personally offered too stick a camera guys equipment some where when he was trying to film the spot where we had found a friends mom when she passed away. and how can they sleep at night? seldom watch tv news anymore.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
Bearfootfarm said:
It's not like we are ASKING to see these things. They show what THEY want you to see.
Oh I think PLENTY of people are asking to see this stuff. Think Jerry Springer.

·
Premium Member
23,932 Posts
Idahoe said:
Oh I think PLENTY of people are asking to see this stuff. Think Jerry Springer.

Schlock sells to the lowest common denominator.

I was talking with Nick about this yesterday. We were noting the similarities between "entertainment" in some ancient civilizations (think Rome's "circuses") and today's blood, gore, titillation, and in general base offerings.

It really makes me sad when my adult children watch the blood and guts movies out there. I didn't allow this junk when they were younger, but now... It breaks my heart.

How can misery, pain, and senseless death be entertaining?

Pony!

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
When I was a reporter, those were the hardest stories to write.

I have interviewed the families of murder victims, LEOs killed in the line of duty, and people who died in noteworthy accidents or natural disasters. One of the hardest was the parents of a troubled young man who died in a "suicide by cop" incident.

There is a tremendous pressure on reporters to "break" the story, or at least get one out in synch with the rest of the news media, which unfortunately puts the maximum amount of pressure on families at the worst possible time.

I did much soul-searching over the years as to how much of my approach was honest empathy, and how much was simply doing my job ... getting the goods. Always made me uneasy. I suspect many if not most reporters do the same.

Reporters witness many of the same things first responders do, with one key difference: we're forced to be passive, witnesses not participants. There is an awful sense of helplessness sometimes. Cynicism is as much a defensive strategy as anything. (It beats alcoholism!)

At the end of the day, I always prayed that my words would bring some comfort to the families. I know that wasn't always the case, though.

·
Happiness is Homemade
3,511 Posts
YES this bothers me greatly!!

when I was 14 my 18yr old brother was hit by a car while we were out walking. And as if seeing that happen was not bad enough the camera crews who got there (almost as fast as the Ambulance did) filming me sitting on the curb waiting for my family to show up and watching them work on my brother was terrible!

"What are you feeling right now?" was the question they kept asking me.... DUH!!! I just saw my brother hit by a car!!!!! was my answer. in hindsight, I can think of many other things I would have liked to say.. but at the moment thats all I could muster.

Later when I started to work with EMS One of my favorite parts of the job was throwing the Vultures (News Crews) off the scene.

there and many stations I will NOT watch because of this.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
What is even more sick than those people who don't mind sticking a camera and microphone in someone's face, is the fact that this stuff SELLS TO OTHER PEOPLE, LOTS OF THEM. That's why they DO IT!

So, who is sicker, the folks that record it or the folks that BUY INTO IT by watching those stories, buying the newspapers and magazines that have all that dirty laundry in it?

Surely the reporters are doing their job? And their job is to sell their paper, magazine, tv station, all because that is what the majority of humans want to see. It is indeed very sick.

Pat

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.