Does in estrus?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by AllWolf, Oct 22, 2006.

1. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I have never bred any my does before and I have been keeping watch on them all the time and today I notice something different.

Maybe you all can look at these photos and tell me if they are coming in estrus now.. I do not mean for the photos to make anyone think I'm sick but I'm trying to find out when they are coming in estrus so I can get ready to breed them the next time they come in.

This will be my first year breeding..

Here is the photos links
    Coming In Estrus?

Click on the other photos and see also if coming in estrus.

Thanks for all the help and advice you can give me.. :)

2. allenslabs

allenslabs Saanen & Boer Breeder

Main thing I look for is that there is a LOT of tail wagging like they're trying to flag down that ship full of sailors! HAHA! And they'll talk a lot. At least that's what mine do.

3. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

your pictures don't show "before and after" which are really helpful--my doe screamed and hollered for two days, was moist and wet and pinker than usual in that all important area. She was mounted twice yesterday with "action" but wanted more today and so we obliged. Now her daughter is acting flirty when the bick visited, and looks a little pinker and moister.

Does she seem flirty? Is there a buck nearby? The first day we put them together she wanted NOTHING to do with him. Yesterday it was all kissy and today the same.

The funniest thing is the buck--the tongue-wagging, the urine lapping, urine spraying, etc. What a sight!

Vanessa
    near Nashville

4. allenslabs

Oh shoot fire I think a buck going after a doe is sometimes hilarious....... its like a cross between having a seizure and just being a flat out moron! HAHA!! Aren't you so glad men don't do that? There would never be children for the women laughing the whole time. .... LOL!

5. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

I guess now I know where the term "ya horny old goat!" comes from. Just watch a buck in rut doing his "thing". Gross, but highly entertaining!

NeHi

6. allenslabs

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that's funny. Good to know there are other goat people out there with a twisted sense of humor!! HAHA!!

7. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

Is that string of discharge from the goat being in heat? The first photos is like what I saw on my young doe but she wanted no part of the buck and hasn't since. That made me a little concerned. Was she just going out of heat then?

8. AllWolf

vancom said: your pictures don't show "before and after" which are really helpful Reseaon not because I notice this yesterday for first time.

Does she seem flirty? To answer this question is my does are more pushy then was but not yelling out but I also know not all does will scream their stupid head off. I know when my pgymy is in heat because she will scream for a few days for a buck.

Is there a buck nearby? NO Buck near by do not have one at the moment have to buy one later. We trying the darn buck rag to bring them in and take them to the buck. I'm going to get a buck next year when get the rest of pens finished.

9. AllWolf

Kim asked: Is that string of discharge from the goat being in heat? Answer to this question is why I was asking because this is my first time breeding my does.

Next my 2 does that are going to be breed is not young does they are 2 to 3 years olds and have had babies before.

10. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I would say the one with the discharge is definitely in season - that's a lotta goo! :p The other one, I can't really tell - the picture is a bit dark and my monitor doesn't have the greatest resolution.

Some does are harder than others to tell - my Alpine yearling, who wasn't bred last year, is very difficult. I think I may have got her bred last week, but not sure. My Nubian cross is also tricky - she's the one jumping on every body. I definitely got her bred (at least the buck did the deed!) last week, but she's still mounting the buck when I put them together. He's not interested in her, though. :shrug: My Saanen bellows for several days - and she's normally very quiet, so no questions there. I got one of my Nigerians bred last week too. She was hollering one morning for no good reason, so I let her in to see Mr. Stinky (aka Caz) and he was ever so pleased. Next day - not interested in her.

I must say, any non-goat people who see those pictures are going to think the worst! LOL We understand. :)

11. AllWolf

Well today got my answer. The photo of my doe that had the white discharge is in season big time. So now have to wait for the next round and hope to get a buck and breed her. The other one is also in season but I'm waiting on the second season to breed them. So now I will know for now on what to look for.

Thanks to the ones that help me out. You get a A+ :)

12. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Excellent!

Have you got a buck in mind, yet?