Does' due dates

Discussion in 'Goats' started by KimM, Jan 13, 2007.

1. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

Do most of your does kid a little early, a little late, or right on time? (150 days)
    Do you think some things influence the differences like breed, number of kids, body condition, weather conditions, a particular bloodline or a specific individual. (or all of the above!)
    Do you ever see any pre-labor signs?

Yes I'm on doe-duty...what exactly gave it away? :rolleyes: LOL!
    Jane, my Nubian, is due Monday, the 15th. I don't know how many days she carried last year as I got her less than a month before she kidded, and she was in very poor condition. (she wa given to me). This year she's in excellent condition. And so I wait. :baby04:

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

150 days is the median gestation. Goats can safely kid anywhere from 145 to 155 days. I had one year where I had a doe kid at 140 days with triplets and only found one kid alive. Another doe kidded at 143 days and both babies were just fine. When Isis had quints, they were born at 145 days and all lived. La Manchas tend to kid earlier, closer to 145 days and Nubians 150-155 days, but each goat is different and some of mine differ from year to year. I observe my does closely and can usually tell the day they will kid. This can vary from goat to goat and is something I recognize because I know my does. Some refuse to come to breakfast, some get talkative, some are needy, some isolate and paw the ground, some have a long string of prebirth discharge. Most of mine have a significant increase in udder size 12-24 hours prior to kidding. With some, it's easy to feel that the tail ligaments are loose.

3. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Kim this is what I have both heard from people and seen for myself.

Nubians tend to go on day 155. Not sure why but they do (my friend told me this as she breeds nubians) now my nubian girl I had I didn't have a due date on so I couldn't tell you :rolleyes: .

My La Manchas go early like 145-146 but I did have a doe who went on day 143 with triplets.

My alpineX girl likes to go late. She went on day 157 one time....bout gave a me a heart attack :hobbyhors ! She was hand bred to so there was no chance of a second breeding.

My boer girls (mother and daughter) have always gone either right on their due date at 150 days or a day before or after.

I think does can be influenced by things yes. I know a doe that is stressed won't normally kid until later at least thats what has happened with me. I don't think body condition does very much........how many kids does sometimes. My one doe who went to 157 had a single doe so maybe thats why?

I have seen prelabor signs sometimes...but I must say my does will not string TONS of mucus before a labor....I have yet to see them loose their mucus plugs weeks before (or ever for that matter). Oh yes and some of my gals are great at making me THINK they are in labor when in fact they are not :flame: (mainly the nubian....big baby). I have gotten pretty good at being able to tell if a doe was going to kid soon or not.....mainly she was just "off"...something not quite right about her. But then again in Feb 5th 2006 w/the doe who went on day 143 the only reason she got put in the kidding pen the night of the 4th was because Brandy was making a nest like does do for kidding which was not normal. So she went in the kidding pen but I didn't think she would do anything. Came out at noon the next day and the first kid was just minutes away from being born :rolleyes: .

LOL....so does can be tricksy little hobbitsis :p ....ooops....I mean goatsis....

MotherClucker

4. KimM

Great replies!
    Update:
    This is Jane's 148th day. She has not shown one bit of goob up until this afternoon. First, a little, clear, thin string. Shortly after that, there was a big, long, thick, yellowish string of goob. I can't find her ligaments and her vulva is real puffy and a bit reddish. Sounds like kids are en-route! :dance:
    I have her in the kidding stall under the camera. She's munching her hay.
    One more question. Should I give her dewormer right after she kids? How long after?
    This is gonna be fun, I have a dislocated rib in my upper back and had to take a Vicodin. LOL!

5. GoldenWood Farm

Oh kim ouch! As far as worming I normally worm right after she kids. I pull the kids, get mom on the milk stand and milk her out while she eats her grain then I worm her and put her back in the kidding stall for 1 day.

Sounds like kids are coming soon! have fun!

MotherClucker

6. KimM

Jane had twin doelings at 8:58 pm and 9:03! :bouncy: :banana02: :happy:
    The first one was born with one front leg straight back, there was no backing her up though, and she came out with just a couple small tugs. The second one came with the elbows back (?), nose and feet together, I just pulled one leg forward and she slipped right out. She was smaller but very energetic!! They're both really cute and I'm sorry there are no pics to go with the post. I gave my old camera to my son and haven't bought my new one yet. Ordering it tomorrow.

7. GoldenWood Farm

WOOOHOOOO KIM! :bouncy: [strongbad :cute: :dance: :rock: :happy: . LOL had to get all my smiley faces in there :p . What color are the does? How are they doing today!?!?!

Oh I am so excited for my does to kid!

MotherClucker

8. KimM

At first this morning I was concerned about the little one, she was still trying to pass meconium. They also couldn't find the teats on thier own last night so I helped and made sure that each got 4 or 5 good "meals" before I left them for the night. Figured that would give them the energy to work it out on their own. This morning, the little one was standing their kind of quiet and didn't want me to help her suckle and she still had string of black meconium hanging out. I cleaned that off and she decided to lay down. I thought I'd give her a chance to rest and see how she was after a nap. Well she fooled me, she woke and and found the teat by herself, pigged out, bounced around and passed a BUNCH of very sticky first-milk poop! The other one is great, very friendly. They're both tha same spotted palomino color as their mom with the Boer pattern. I gotta get my new camera!!!
    Thank's for asking!
    When are yours due? What breed? I have another doe due next week, the 24th.
    Oh and this is my buck's first kids. Can't really evaluate him yet but so far, so good.

9. GoldenWood Farm

I have 15 due total but 3 are my moms and 11 are mine. I am from Feb. 11th - March 22nd and my mom is March 3rd - March 22nd.

I start off with a group of three
    February 11th (Boer), 12th (La Mancha) and 13th (Boer)

Then we get to another group of four
    February 21st (La Mancha), February 22nd (La Mancha), February 22nd (La Mancha), February 22nd (Alpine)

Then we have a singleton
    February 27th (La Mancha)

Then we get to another grouping of 3
    March 2nd (La Mancha), March 3rd (Alpine), and March 5th (La Mancha)

Then we have trickling down to 2
    March 8th (Mini Mancha), March 11th (Mini Oberhasli)

Then we have our duo
    March 22nd (La Mancha) and March 22nd (Nubian)

So yep thats what I have going on as far as kidding goes. They are pretty much close together which is nice. This will be my La Mancha buck's second year. He wasn't used heavily last year due to being young but this year he bred 10 of the does. 2 other does where bred by my older La Mancha buck then we used some other bucks on the 3 other does. I liked my young bucks offspring from last year so we shall see what he does.

Your does sound so cute! Can't wait for pics.....lol on the little one pulling that on you I had one this past kidding season do the exact same thing. It was a triplet kidding and the only DOE seemed to not be doing well.....she was just fine....was being a brat (she is due the 2nd of march).

MotherClucker

10. KimM

OMG, that sounds like stress-central!! After breeding horses, I found that I didn't get excited too much at foaling time, more like anxious - as in anxiety. Had a few mild dystocias and that was enough to make it not real fun anymore but after the foaling was over, I really enjoyed it.
    Oh the kids are SO fun though! I know I'll never be able to butcher any. Nope, I have gotten way too soft in my old age.

Ever have a kid shiatsu massage? :baby04: