Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Quiver0f10, Jan 16, 2007.
If so, do you know how much ( what %) the tax is?
Yes we do, it's 6%.
they are trying to reduce it untill its gone the bill is in the works now
So thats for groceries too? Not just eating out and stuff?
I sure hope they do, my food bill is high enough LOL.
If you get food at a place that is a restraint the tax is much higher. Sales tax is 5 1/2 persent and the rest is county and local tax. In some places the tax on restraint food is 7 1/2 persent.
Their is a bill that is in the house to remove tax on foods at the grocery store but this doesn't take into local taxes.
Thanks everyone for replying. Atleast the tax will be going down.
Well, it's in the works but until it's passed I won't start planning what to use that extra money on-I've seen other tax cuts/eliminations on a state level(other states) that sounded like **** in's & ended up not passing. :Bawling:
So if you're not a resident and plan on moving here-it would be wise to plan on 6% on groceries and close to 10% on all other purchases including restaurants, fast food and some 'convenience' foods that don't have the grocery status.
If the tax cut passes-you'll be ahead of the game but if it doesn't you won't have a major shock at the check out counter.
Luckily, property tax is low to reasonable depending on the county you move to so it does even out a bit.
The tax is higher in big cities as they add on their own tax.
Best thing to do is raise yer own food if possible.
Doesn't take much space to raise two hogs or a few chickens or a couple of sheep. Bigger is not always better.
Stay small and stay under the wire. LOL
My worry is, if they do cancel the sales tax on groceries, where then is the lost revenue going to come from? Has the governor made any mention of that yet?
I hope it's not going to be tacked onto the property taxes so that only property owners are footing the bill.
And some counties have additional county tax for various reasons. Stone County has a 3% tax that was increased last year (year before?) to cover the costs of the new sewage system for Mountain View. (We boonie-Americans tried to get the city of Mtn View to eat their OWN cost. Just because we live in the county doesn't mean we use their sewage system.)
Literally read, my grocery receipt shows BOTH the 6% tax and 3% tax. (They aren't merged, but are both charged.)
This is what we hope to do. Chickens first, then a few pigs and at the least, raise some beef cows. Add a garden and we should be OK. It will tkae a while to get going though, but I am looking forward to it.
I live in Randolph County and I just looked at my grocery bill and we pay the 6% plus another 2%, so we're paying a total of 8%. I think the extra tax has something to do with new classrooms, etc., at the local college.
I found this site today which is helpful. http://thestc.com/STRates.stm
Looks like Benton county is 8% tax