Does anyone's family get along?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

I read about so many families who don't get along with each other. Does anyone actually like their families? I love mine. I get along very well with my brothers and sister and my Mom and Dad (they don't get along with each other though!) and my extended family.

2. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

I love them all, unconditionally, I have a sister who drives me crazy sometimes, but hey I am sure I drive her nuts too!

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Yep, we all get along. I think the entire family on my dad's side could move in together and get along fine forever.

My hubby has one obnoxious uncle, but we don't see him very often. The rest of the family gets along well.

4. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

Ours does. I talk to my mil as often as I do my mom, and am as close to my sils as to my sisters. We all like each other. Ok, one of my bils may not appreciate me, but he has learned to accept me. Good thing we have been family for 20 years. Yesterday was a typical day, I talked to my mother, my mil, 2 sils & my bil. I imed another sil & my sis. My dh talked to my brother & his brother. Thursday all his side gets together, Friday my side does. If the in law thing had been here we would have done it all the same day. Our family are our best friends & we like it that way.

5. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

We do. I get along with my wifes family. I really enjoy her parents. My wife gets along with my parents, and siblings.

6. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

We all get along, never a bickering time, but we do sometimes get frustrated with one another's actions. I think that's pretty normal. My parents are here alot, and we are working on getting dh's family a little more involved with each other. It takes work sometimes to always get along, but we manage it. I do have a sister that I don't talk with a whole lot, cause we have NOTHING in common, but I don't dislike her and we do speak.

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

OH YES MY FAMILY is WONDERFUL :cool: especially the in-laws :rolleyes:

(as long as everyone acts phony and keep their opinions to themselves and refrain from too much livation :rolleyes: )

:hobbyhors

Bet you cant guess that 1) I'm not phony and 2) I'm not real good about keeping my mouth quiet....but I don't generally have a drop of booze.

8. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

Wow, I am jealous. DH and I come from severly dysfunctional families. In our case, it is better if we don't see any of them but we often wish we had families like you guys and really long for that around this time of year. It is so nice to see families getting along and sharing with each other!

9. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

yes, both sides of our families get along well. Considering that our families range from 4-9 children each, I feel blessed that we are all loving.

10. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

My BIL is coming for 2 days for turkey day(From down the hill),and my SIL will be coming for 4 days in a couple weeks.I wish sis would stay longer,she is from Co,and we are Ca.

I have told both they are welcome to bring their RVs when we get the homestead and live with us.

Funny,just last night I was telling Mrs. how much I like my in laws.Both our parents are gone,so weve never had that issue.

So yes,I must be the exception to a lot of folks.And very lucky obviously.

BooBoo

11. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

DH's family is terribly dysfunctional -- it's just better when we have less to do with them. The way they are causes him stress, causes the kids stress, and makes me angry when they cause him and the kids stress :rolleyes:

My own family is very close, except for one sibling who has some issues that need to be dealt with -- but is still loved very much. With eight siblings, I consider that pretty good :)

12. triana1326

triana1326 Dances in moonlight

We get along great with my family, even with some of their more eccentric (but funny) moments...and as long as we keep up the phony "You're the greatest thing since sliced bread" act, we get along with DH's parents. I never dreaded the holidays until I had to spend them with my PsIL...Now I know why holidays can be so stressful (and drive people to drink heavily!!).

13. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

So long as you leave my mother out of it, everyone gets along fine! The rest of the family disowned her after she disowned me, now everyone gets along just fine. Sure my uncles squabble over the orchard a bit, but they always work it out. Get along just fine with my future in-laws as well, headed down to Thanksgiving with them and I was invited for Christmas. Not sure about the Christmas things, I don't celebrate it and am always afraid I'll put my foot in my mouth anyhow so I think I'm staying home for that.

14. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

I am very blessed, we all get along. We have a good time during the holidays!

15. Dorothea

Dorothea Well-Known Member

my brothers and I get a long really good but DH is another story

16. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

I was going to say, "We all get along," but on further reflection that isn't quite true. :rolleyes:

I can't stand my MIL, but I have learned to just sort of act like she doesn't exist. She will spend Thanksgiving like every other day of her life: complaining nonstop about everything. Hey, what else is the holiday about?

And my aunt has some mysterious beef against my 92-year-old Grandma, and will make a point of sitting far away from her. :shrug: No one else understands what the issue is, and Grandma is beyond caring.

In other words, a single glass of wine with dinner is adequate. :)

17. FarmGoddess

FarmGoddess Well-Known Member

Depends on what day you ask me.

:hobbyhors :hobbyhors :hobbyhors

18. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Both hubby and I have families that get along all the time. It's just not the norm in either family to treat anyone else with disrespect, hold grudges, expect other folks to be psychic about one another's feelings, etc.

This has really been a huge help when each of us lost a parent. People get old and die, and it sure helps to have nobody in the family with unresolved bad feelings - toward them or toward the remaining family members.

Lynda

19. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

For the most part everyone gets along. We are all pretty close even tho we live far from some.

20. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm in the same boat as you are. If the best friends I had were family, I'd be in serious trouble. :) Over time, it's proven best to stay away from them. I do have some wonderful friends that are closer than family. I've been blessed in this regard.