Does anyone work from home?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by GoatsRus, Dec 29, 2006.

1. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

I posted this thread yesterday after 3pm, so I guess the original was lost. Anyhow, does anyone here work from home? I mean at an actual job that someone else pays your for, such as medical transcription or customer service? I checked on some of these jobs listed online and they all seem to be...lets just say,not on the up and up. If you do work for a reputable company can you give me some information? I just want to work part time at night (say 5 -9) as I have a full time job during the day. Thanks.

2. hillsidedigger

hillsidedigger Well-Known Member

My business is home based

but I drive out, usually less than 10 miles, 2 or 3 times a week to projects.

3. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

You could try................ http://www.workathomeagent.com/ You do need to invest some monies. Like buying a headset to take calls and a dedicated phone line for your computer only. This is something you do, you pay nothing to the company for this. This job is taking orders over the phone and entering those orders on your computer, companies like Home Shopping Network use this service. BTW...... they list open jobs (hours) on thier website, you choose what company and how many hours you wish to work. You don't pick any you don't get paid. No pressure from them to work, it's all up to you, how much you want to work.

Another hint, if you do choose to work for them, when they call you for the interview, no screaming kids or barking dogs in the background. They're not fond of distractions when your working for them. Just keep it quiet for the interview. :)

And you could visit these forums for info from other work at home people not only on the above job link but many others. Getting the pros and cons from people who are doing it now.......................

http://www.workplacelikehome.com/forum/

http://www.wahm.com/forum/

4. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Thanks CraftyDiva. That's exactly what I was looking for. I don't have any kids left at home, but I'll make sure the dogs are outside. Thanks for the tip.

5. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I work at home running a home-based business myself. But I understand what you are asking. I have a very good friend who is also a member of this board, but she may not see this question. So I will tell you about her job.

She works for a local hospital as a medical transcriptionist. She transcribes x-rays. Makes very good money, has very good benefits & seems pretty happy with it. She goes to the office for office meetings, and even their annual Christmas parties. Her employer set up her computer, which they own, her internet connection, and if she has any problem with the equipment, they send someone out to fix it.

katlupe

6. CraftyDiva

No prob. :) Do check those forums I posted. There are other companies just like the one I gave that do the same thing. You could sign up for more then one and work more hours (more $$$$) there may not be any hours posted to work for one compnay so you move to the next, you already have all the stuff you need (headset, phoneline, etc). Just don't tell the other companies your working for others, they don't like it, tuff cookies, I say.

About the extra phoneline for your computer, if you have a landline already plus a cell phone, use the cell phone as your main phone (tell everyone to call you on it) and just use the landline for the computer. Save some bucks that way if you can.

There's one company (hard to get into and they only hire in certain States), that you're an on the books employee. Hourly wage, insurance, paid sick days, vacation, etc. I think it's called "Access", they're listed on those forums I mentioned.

If you need money to get to start up with any companies, try ...............
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/ You get paid to write articles for thier website. Don't have to be a writer to write them, anyone can. You just write about what interests you (say goats, homesteading, etc). They pay you thru PayPal.

7. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

My daughter actually works for 2 of the above companies taking calls/orders for things. She doesn't like dealing with the people sometimes but definitely loves working from home.

I also work at home full time and do medical transcription if you would like more info but it seems like the other job would be better right now.

8. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Is there anyone on here who has used associated content for their articles? Does it work better than sending articles to different publishers? I would be interested to hear from anyone with a point of view. I have a lot of misc writing that could be shaped into how-to articles with a bit of work. Seems like that would be a good winter project - if it would pay, so much the better!

9. CraftyDiva

If I'm reading the site right, they only pay $20 (tops) for an article and it becomes thiers, if you wanted to use it down the road for say a book your writing, your unable to. Read some of the articles on that site to get an idea of what is being published there. Seems a lot of college kids are writing articles for extra spending money. Still, it's money and if your a prolific writer you can make a nice hunk of change.