Does Anyone Use The Internet ??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Dec 14, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Why don't these people use the Internet to find stuff?

My wife was needing an Engine for her Tracker,she called all around asking if anyone had one or knew where she could find one.The only one she found was very high $$ and high miles.They told her good luck finding one.5 Minutes on the Internet found a good one in Texas.

Then I needed a Flywheel for my Boat Engine they said there wasn't one to be found.I get on the Internet find one in 5 minutes in Pennsylvania.

:shrug: Whats with these people? I'm sure they have a Computer and should know where they might find this stuff if they can't find it Local.

big rockpile

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

http://car-part.com

this is the internet shared database for most all salvage yards in the usa canada mand mexico. mostly USA yards.

you can find any part, anywhere, with price and location and contact info. most yards will even ship to you.

check it out.

cool eh?

3. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

they are either lazy or think they saw a sucker comin' their way is my guess.

4. MyHomesteadName

MyHomesteadName Well-Known Member

Great link. Thanks.

5. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

I was looking for a wide-angle lens for my old Pentax K1000, and the local camera shop wanted $250, probably because some sucker visiting Yellowstone will pay it. I went on EBay and got one for $59 that also included a filter and both end caps. My first EBay experience and a good one.

6. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

Even if you buy locally, research it on the internet. That way you are knowledable about the item and you know the best prices. You may get a good deal locally and you will be pleased or you will know enough to turn it down and shop elsewhere. Drives DW nuts but I do it all the time.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

7. paperboy-7

paperboy-7 Well-Known Member

hi this car-part.com is great found a eng in 5min cant believe it...MERRY CHRISTMAS later nfp

8. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

Thanks CN for the link! Forwarding it to my Dad!

Kat

9. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, yeah! I love the Interweb and I love carpart.com!

When our Jeep was stolen, the insurance company gave us a ridiculous price for a replacement steering column. I went to carpart.com and sourced one (WITH steering wheel and airbag) for about 1/3 the price the insurance company quoted. Got the part in 4 days (they had to ship ground b/c of the airbag), DH installed it in 2 hours.

Pony!

10. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I sure do. I just got the cheapest possible side mirror for my Saturn on E-Bay of all places, lol. It cost 2/3 what some of the big on line auto stores wanted, and I couldn't find the right model on the used parts sites. YAY!

I even found a site with step by step instructions, pictures of the steps and a tool list so that I can try to put it on myself! I love the internet.

hollym