Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Here's what we do. Gather and wash tomatoes and run them through a juicer.Take the pulp and re-combine with a more appropriate amount of juice and fill the jars. Once in the jars I add onion peppers hot and bell, and garlic and salt and it heads for the pressure canner.
When we get ready to use it just open, add meatballs etc and heat it up. All seeds and skins are still in it but it just makes it more "homemade like".
Only thing I don't like is I have not found a way to make it "stick" to the pasta. ANy help out there?
Thanks,

Wade

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Here's what I do: pick, clean, core and trim any questionable parts, quarter. Freeze in freezer bags. When I'm ready to can - thaw, drain liquid to separate container. Put all the tomato 'meat' in my electric oven well with seasonings (chopped onion, basil, garlic, etc.) Heat at 200 degrees overnight. Using stick blender, blend to thick sauce. Add sugar/salt to taste, can while hot.

I can or freeze the drained liquid for use in soups and stews all winter.

·
Registered
300 Posts
here is my method:
I wash and core tomatoes before putting in a stock pot.
once I have a full stock pot, I simmer/boil until they are soft and juicy.
Then I run it through my blender in batches, pouring it out of the blender and through my (very small) hand crank food mill (like a foley..mine is at least 30 years old because it was my grandfathers) into a clean stock pot.
you should be left with small bits of skin and seeds in the food mill. most of the product gets into the sauce this way without seeds and skin being lumps.
after that, you have to cook it down to thickness or add tomato paste. I do both.
I pour into roasting pans and "dehydrate" in a 200 degree oven for about a day.
then I add any needed paste or clear jel before I an as tomato sauce or season as spaghetti/pizza sauce.
last step is the canning, which it sounds like you know how to do :)

I don't have any special blender (just a $20 one from walmart) and like I said, my food mill is around 1/2 qt size and older then me!

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
All of the tomatoes I can go in whole.
I turn them into sauce when I prepare the meal.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the roma tomato strainer, deluxe model. I put it up on Craig's List to sell after one season. It didn't sell, so I pulled it out this year. I think I was using it incorrectly the first time around. It works great now.

Here's what I do:
Cut my tomatoes in quarters or halves. I don't peel, core etc. Dump them in my stock pot. Mash them a bit with my potato masher. Then stir as they simmer down. Once they've broken down nicely, I use my stick blender to puree them.
Then, I transfer the puree into the roma strainer. The strainer removes all the seeds, peels etc. Then back to the stock pot. It makes a nice, thick sauce. From there I either add seasonings to it, or just process it plain.

I used it last night the same way to make tomato basil soup. I pureed the onions, basil etc right along with the simmered tomatoes then ran through the roma strainer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a victorio and a kitchen aid attachment..both work wonderfully

Here's what I do

I wash my tomatoes and cut off all the bad parts.
I put them in the top of my steamer juicer and let it pull all the "water" out. I keep it and label it "tomato stock"
Then I run my tomatoes through the victorio or KA and all the seeds and skins go out one end and all the meat comes out the other. I bring it to a boil and then can it. I make plain sauce and add seasonings when I cook it

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I core and cut slits into the tomatoes put in pans and bake at 400 for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours depending on how many I put in the oven, then I spoon the tomatoes into a colander and squish the water out, I take the meat and run it through my Roma machine about 4 times to get out as much meat as possible, it should be thick enough that no further cooking should be needed. add spices and can. Mine doesn't stick to the pasta either. The left over water is put into pitchers and left to sit over night, then I ladle off the clear water and can the juice, the clear water can be used in soups and such.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts