Does anyone raise Aussies?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by New Mexican, Nov 5, 2004.

1. New Mexican

New Mexican Well-Known Member

We are getting a new puppy soon. We currently have an 8 yr old Red Tri. She's spayed. But dh wants to get back "into" raising/breeding this particular breed. He did this years ago before I knew him. He has a new/renewed desire to keep this breed going since it's such a good one. (Hangin' Tree/Twin Oaks)

Anyone else?

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Uhhh..OK Which Aussies? Australian Cattle Dogs? Australian Shepherds? Australian Terriers? Australian Kelpies?

Each of these Breeds has a website and each has a Breed Club here in the USA. GOOGLE will show you the way.Any breed club secretary will be happy to give you a list of breeders in your area.

I like going to a breeder who has duel purpose dogs. Winners in the show ring and winners with working too.

Have fun, LQ

3. gmm41

gmm41 Member

I don't raise them anymore but I still have one. An 11 year old blue merle from Briarbrook lines. Not sure what I'll do when we lose her. I'd like another puppy but am enjoying having only one dog to care for.
    Gloria

4. New Mexican

New Mexican Well-Known Member

Oops......sorry. Australian Shepherds. We've already gotthe breeder nearby.......well, 2 hrs away. But he's got a nice bunch of them. DH is in LOVE with these doggies. I'd never even heard of an Aust. Shep. until I met him. They are sweet, sweet doggies.

5. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Duel? Duel??? Back to back, ten paces, turn and fire?

I've raised a pair of Aussies. Elder is thirty years old, younger is 28. They're OK, but I'm not sure I could persuade them to allow me stud fees.

Australian shepherd is American, not Australian. Australian cattle dog, Australian terrier, Sydney Silkie terrier, Kelpie are truly Australian. Kelpies may be the the best stock dog ever. Good cattle dog, GREAT sheep dog, very intelligent but not quite as intelligent or high-strung as a collie, loyal, good stock dog, good family dog, they'll do what they're told, if they are in charge of the children and something - anything - needs to be done to look after the children then they'll just do it.