Does anyone own a Buck Stove??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jamo, Sep 28, 2005.

1. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

fter doing a bit of research, I have figured out that my fireplace is actually a pre-fab. The only place that I have found that makes any type of insert for a pre-fab is Buck Stoves, model 18. They are rated safe for pre-fab and/or mobile homes. They are said to be 63% efficient and will take an 16" log, heating up to 1200 sqf. I realize that this must be a small stove, but it has to be better than heating with LP. Our main living area is an A-frame with nothing but glass on 2 walls so I'm sure that this would help. Thanks for any info.

Jan

2. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

Bumping and hoping for a reply :sing:

3. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't install any kind of insert in a pre-fab fireplace personally....don't care whether it was "rated" for it or not....I think you are asking for trouble.

I have a small Fisher stove, freestanding model, in the basement. Works great.

4. jeffreyc256

jeffreyc256 Well-Known Member

I dont know about the prefab fireplace and recommend contacting someone who sels them to ask about the insert. My initial thought is it should be safer. I have a Craft stove in a standard fireplace and love it. If I had someone to cut all the firewood I wanted I would have an open hearth but the inserts are much more efficient. Buck is a great brand and has been around alot of years, they might be able to answer the prefab question also, enjoy.

5. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

If you are just needing heat, can you put a portable kerosene heater in the prefab fireplace?