Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone has or even heard of it, my neighbor comes up with good ideas. And she gave me the idea of making my own rice a roni.

Take white rice and put some in a frying pan, along with dry spagetti and I break it up in little pieces. Then add the butter and fry it up a little. Just as you would with the box kind.

then I added about 2 1/2 cups of water and about four to five chicken boullion cubes. Once it starts to boil, turn the heat down and cook for 15 minutes.

Made some for dinner. Wasn't that bad!!

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
This is one of the first "homemade" things I figured out when I moved out on my own at 18. I used MSG free broth or boullion, though. Most of the time, I saute' a bit of meat or chicken in the pan first so I can just add water.

Quicker, cheaper, tastier and healthier than out of a box!

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always wondered about trying to make it. Then my neighbor told me how she did it.

I think I am going to continue to make it myself. The brand named Rice A Roni is like $1.29 even at Walmart!

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
I don't do quite that, but I like seasoned rice, so I pre-make spice mixes and put them into old empty spice jars to mix with plain rice before serving. I'll do a teaspoon of low-sodium chicken bouillon powder with, say, dried basil, garlic powder and pine nuts, or Thai spices, a little flaked coconut, and smashed peanuts. I usually have a dozen bottles of various mixes in my cabinet at any time - makes life easy (and is way cheaper and less salty than the boxed mixes).

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I often will sauté some onion, celery, and carrot in some butter or olive oil then I use a can of some sort of cream soup and enough water to make the amount of water I need to cook the rice in. Then I throw in the rice and let it cook. It comes out nice and creamy with the soup in it. I will add some spices and some red pepper flakes for some heat most of the time.

Rachel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts