Does anyone make beer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mandyh, Jul 22, 2006.

1. mandyh

mandyh Well-Known Member

We have hops plants. Looks like they'll be ready to harvest in 3 weeks. Dont really know what to do with them. How much hops does it take to make a couple Quarts beer or a six pack.

2. tulsamal

tulsamal Well-Known Member

3. sunshine estate

sunshine estate Well-Known Member

I guess I'm a coward. I researched beer making until I read that - eventually - every home beer maker is going to have exploding bottles...that quenched my thirst for home-made beer realy quick.

Good luck. I bet it tastes good.

4. mandyh

mandyh Well-Known Member

Exploding bottles! Yikes! Maybe I'll just find sombody to give them to.

5. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

if you don't want to make beer you can use it to make a 'hop pillow', it is supposed to help those who have trouble sleeping get some rest. You do not make a full size pillow. something like 6" by 10".

6. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

This is so funny! MY DH, Roger, just got done making beer! I was here on the computer, wondering what that awful smell as. I thought the neighbor across the road was spreading something on the crops!

Well, the kitchen is cleaned up and he has a batch "brewing" in a large pail.

7. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

can someone give a good source for brewing grains? i have hops too and was thinking of trying some brew.

could you do the secondary fermentation in plastic? i know that sounds terrible, lol, but it may help prevent explosion.

8. mandyh

mandyh Well-Known Member

I just signed up to a brewing forum, looks like they have a lot of info. I'm going to ck. it out tomorrow.

9. tulsamal

tulsamal Well-Known Member

Come on. That's like saying every home canner is "sooner or later" going to have their pressure cooker explode.

I've been making beer for 15 years and I've never had the slightest problem with something like that. Buy a book or two. It isn't that hard. The most important thing is to keep everything TOTALLY clean and sterile. Beer will pick up off tastes in a hurry. Any beer drinker that tries my beer will pick it over something you can buy in the store.

I've got hundreds of empty bottles in the basement but there is an alternative. And it's a heck of a lot easier. Go to a big Pepsi/Coke plant and tell them you want to buy one or two 5 gallon kegs. Plus you want to buy a CO2 tank from them as well. I got four kegs and one CO2 and it didn't cost me that much money. They would only sell me kegs that had syrup in them so I had to have the wife and kids drink all that nasty sugar laden soft drink stuff but that didn't take long. I've been using those kegs now for 3-4 years. I put a spare fridge in the basement and ripped just about everything out of the inside so that two 5 gallon kegs would fit inside. Now when I make beer it goes into a sterile keg. A lot easier to clean and sterilize on keg than 48 bottles. You don't even need to add priming sugar to a keg. You can just force carbonate it with your CO2 tank once it gets good and cold in the fridge. 3-4 days with the tank set to 25 psi and you've got carbonated beer. Lower the pressure to 5 pounds or so to dispense.

Don't believe the nay-sayers. It's not hard to make beer or wine.

The classic reference book is here: http://tinyurl.com/fzurr

Gregg

10. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

We make beer and wine, and really appreciate the products and service from Midwest Brewing Supplies.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/

They'll even send you a video on how to make beer and wine. (For those who saw the old video, the new one is much better!)

Have fun! Don't avoid making fermented beverages because you might have a bottle pop on you. That's like not living your life because you heard it might be dangerous. Of COURSE life is dangerous! But which do you prefer: To get out there and live until you die, or stay hidden in your house until you fall off your couch and die?

GO FOR IT! It's just beer!

Pony!

11. Pony

Yes, you can!

Use bottles that have already had carbonated beverages in them before. Used 16 or 20 oz bottles (like soda pop), or 2 or 3 ltr for party sized. They have the screw tops, which work really well.

And yes, you can reuse beer bottles that have screw tops. Our daughter prefers those for her beer making efforts.

Pony!

12. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

I bought a kit and I haven't used up all of the mix that came with it yet. Eventually,I'll mix my own. I was intimidated by it,even with the kit. It was easy enough once I got started,and I'll agree about keeping everything sterile. That seems to be the biggest issue with home brewing.

13. Pony

Well, that and don't overcharge your bottles.

DH made a delightful raspberry beer (called it "raspbeery"), but he overcharged a few bottles. He used the Grolsch type bottles, and when he released the cap... FWOOM! 20 foot spray, up to the ceiling of our friend's new store!

Seems he accidentally put a little too much sugar in a few bottles from that batch. Still tasted good.

And our friend proudly displayed the purple-hued "artwork" spray on her wall and ceiling. :)

Pony!

14. mandyh

mandyh Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. I might try to make a batch. Hey Pony did you get to try the raspberry beer. Was it any good.

15. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

By the off chance that someone is near Charlottesville VA and wants to make beer:

I have 4 cases of clean longneck bottles that are ready to be filled! I was going to make beer and never got around to it. Free to good home!

let me know...

16. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

I used to make beer and wine, but I have been busy. I was surprised how easy it was. The easiest was a medium brew, like a porter, because the sugar is high enough that the yeast takes off before contamination can set in and the sugar is low enough that the alcohol doesn't get to high for the yeast to work. Ends up about 7-8% alcohol. I know that sounds high, but you can always water it down later I suppose. As for hops, they add a lot of flavour. Again I liked to go half way. Not too bitter, but more flavour than usual. The hardest part was getting a good head, but that isn't so important as getting everything else right. For ingredients, I recommend using only barley malt, water, and yeast for your first batch, just to set a good standard for comparison. For bottling I recommend plastic quarts, enough for two beers. Always nice to share two glasses out of the same bottle.

17. Pony

Oh, yes! It was very good. Sadly, no two batches are ever alike. But I am sure the next batch he makes will be good. :)

The worst batch DH made was an IPA he wanted to give to his dad. He used bleach to sanitize. Not a good idea, since it is a bear to rinse COMPLETELY.

The compost pile got quite a feed of skunky beer... :(

Pony!