Does anyone live within a 45 mil. radius of Norwood, MO?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mamafila, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Mamafila

Mamafila Active Member

We are interested in that area and wondering if anyone on the board is from there? Could you give us some general idea of the economy, land
    prices, housing cost, weather, etc.

Thank you, Marie in Central WA

2. luckysranch

luckysranch Well-Known Member

I live northeast of Norwood, but in the same county. Weather is seasonal, but the winters are not too cold and their is usually not much snow. If you want to live in Norwood, you will have to commute to Springfield for a good job. I think the land is beautiful, although soil quality can be lacking. Prices are still good - maybe $1500 - $2000 an acre for places in Wright county closer to civilization. But they are rising fast! Douglas county near Ava might be cheaper and still about the same commute to Springfield. There is also a job base in Lebanon, where I work. People are friendly and life is at a slower pace.

What type of place were you looking for and what type of employment?

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Well we aren't there now, but we have land in Ava, 20 miles south. We sold our place in Mansfield last December, which is next door to Norwood.

Mountain Grove would be your closest shopping (groceries, Wal-mart), although Ava has a nicer super center, and an awesome health food store.

Springfield (major shopping) is about 45 minutes to an hour away, straight stretch of flat highway driving up 60.

There's no economy in that area, it's very poor. It's also a great area to live in, if you don't need a local job. Lots of homesteader type people in the area.
    Join the ozark homestead list on yahoo, they're a great help of area info.

Land prices have seen a drastic jump in that area the last couple of years. You can still find places for $1000 per acre, but plan on buying it the second you do. We just closed on our 60 acres in Girdner (Ava area) for $72k. It was on the market for 3 entire days. I bid another property, 80 acres out in Almartha, which was listed at $80k... bid $85 k and still lost it :). Most are listed in the $1500 per acre range now.

Please be aware that the train goes through Norwood, and so anything within a 5 mile range or so will be subject to it's noise.

I have a personal preference for the Ava area, just a bit south of Norwood. It has decent shopping (county seat) terrific people, I mean they're really, really nice there. It's prettier too. Well I think so :)

For housing and land searches, check out this site. It covers more of that area than anything else.

Weather wise, it's pretty much a 4 season state, spring and fall are picture perfect. Summer's are very hot and humid, darn near unbearable in my opinion. Winters aren't bad at all, mostly around 30-40 degrees, somedays warms into the 60-70's, and somedays below zero. Very little snow, but it occasionally dumps 6 inches on us. Ice can be a problem.

The Ozarks, all in all, are a wonderful place to live. But not perfect.

4. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, we live outside Willow Springs, Howell county, and since I've lived here well over 60 years,I cant very well look at it from a outsiders eye.The biggest drawback is jobs-but again, that depends on your field, anyone in the hospital field can find employment easily.
    weather? its sure changed-- i remember building snow forts in the drifts that adults could walk around in--last winter, no snow. we did have a White Christmas, but you had to be up early to know it. about 4:30 or 5 am, it changed to rain.

5. ThriftyMa

ThriftyMa Active Member

Some nice land for affordable prices.

6. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Economy is slow, neighbors are fantastic, countryside is gorgeous, growing season for a veggie garden is long, best-tasting water I've ever had, land prices going UP. If you're gonna git here, git here soon! :)

NeHi Mama

7. yarrow

yarrow Ages Ago Acres Nubians Supporter

if you are ever in the market for a milk cow, the auction in norwood has a high number of diary breeds that go thru (on thursdays, if I recall correctly)
    susie

8. Mamafila

Mamafila Active Member

Thank you for all of your help. We currently live on an 8.9 acre homestead with all of the related farm animals/gardens, etc. and my husband commutes 45 miles to the nearest city six months of the year. I work from my home.

Our son is a Surgical Tech, and daughter would be in college. Ceresone, interesting that you would mention hospital work. What hospitals are the best? Also do any of the clinics have an operating room? We were assuming there would be a commute to Springfield. We have friends in Norwood, but would consider other areas close by. Thank you for the links also.

We homeschool and still have 4 children at home. There is also a church in Norwood that we are interested in.

Marie in Central WA

9. TrudyPowell

TrudyPowell Well-Known Member

Marie,

We live on 10 acres just north of Springfield (still a Springfield address). Have lived here all my life (in my 40's). We also homeschool, and this part of the country is very homeschool-friendly, in my opinion. If you find a spot a little closer in to Springfield, there are lots of support groups, co-ops, etc. if you like that kind of thing, as well as a wide variety of field trips available to your family which are organized by a very nice lady who sends e-mails out to folks and has a web site letting us know what's available.

There are large hospitals here in Springfield, as well as great churches. Best to you on your search. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Trudy Powell

10. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

mamafilia, one thing we do have is hospitals. check these towns on a map, hospital, small, in Houston, Mtn View, larger in West Plains. dont know if Mtn View and Houston still have operating rooms or not, they did. Ozark Medical Center in West Plains is quite large for small area. then , in Springfield, you have St Johns, and Cox, plus several smaller places they do surgery.
    Plus, we have various nursing homes that care crying for Nurses, Med Tech, etc.
    Most of the people are the finest anywhere.