Does anyone live in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tngirl, Jun 21, 2004.

1. tngirl

tngirl Well-Known Member

I'm considering moving to Wayne County, Ohio ( Amish Country) But, I was wondering what the weather's like, the taxes, the cost of living, growing season, soil ( I love good soil for my garden :) ) Can anyone tell me that?

2. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Well, you get lots of seasons (all 4). I hope you like snow because Wayne County definately gets snow. Good growing ground but not cheap.

There's a decent growing season (plant most things by end of May including corn, etc). If you use pvc hoops with plastic over your garden beds you can really extend the growing season. We've picked tomatoes till the end of November and greens such as kale pretty much through the winter.

Wooster is the main town/county seat.

Other than that I can't tell you much about it. We drive through/to Wayne County 2-3 times a year.

We are located east of Wayne county in Carroll County (Tuscawaras county would be in between).

I've kicked around quite a bit and I like Ohio. Taxes are a little higher than I like and it has had problems because of all the manufacturing jobs that have been lost. But it's not bad.

Hope this helps.

Mike

3. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

As mike said, Ohio gets 4 seasons. Wayne county is rolling hills. Winters are cold, average 17 low, 33 high. You will get some snow but it comes in spurts. A few inches today , a few tomorrow. Usually not to many SNOW DUMPS. Summers are hot and humid, avg 85/65. Wayne county has a lot of farm land so soil is generally good. Cost of living in wayne county may be a bit higher than surrounding counties due to the "tourist" driven economy in the area.

Check out these sites. One is a new resident info the other is area demographics.

http://www.woosterchamber.com/new-resident-packets.asp
    http://www.woosterchamber.com/demographics.asp

4. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Actually Gary, I'd argue that land prices in Wayne County are primarily high because of demand from the Amish. Tuscawaras County is much more tourism driven (IMHO).

tngirl, are there particular reasons you are looking at Wayne County? You might want to look at other Countys in the area.

Mike

5. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member Supporter

We live in Summit County which is just touches the NW corner of Wayne County. It's pretty country and as mentioned doesn't get the huge snowfalls that happen only 30-40 miles farther north. I don't know about job conditions if that is an issue. I don't think there are a lot around there. I know Rubbermaid lost a ton of jobs in the last few years. Course I don't get out much, so I could be mistaken. :eek:

Nomad

6. tngirl

tngirl Well-Known Member

tngirl, are there particular reasons you are looking at Wayne County? You might want to look at other Countys in the area.
    I'm looking for a state that has four distinct seasons, a nice growing season, snow in the winter, but not too much. And most importantly, I'm looking for mild summers. I live in Georgia, and the heat and humidity combined is a recipe for heatstroke. Ohio has beautiful land, so I was wondering what the state is like.

7. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Try checking the S E part of Ohio ,You can go to Bruner land's web sit and get a idea.

8. Dave in Ohio

Dave in Ohio Well-Known Member

Why Ohio? If no good reason I would suggest PA. Ohio is pretty flat, hunting is poor, few bears, stricter gun laws, central Ohio is clay, they have water advisorys about fishing, some places they suggest you don't even get wet let alone fish. If it wasn't for my job I would move back to PA,
    Dave

9. 12vman

12vman Offgridkindaguy

I live in Tuscarawas Co. and wish sometimes that I was in Wayne. The zoning thing isn't as bad in Wayne. These fools around here passed zoning just to keep a landfill out. I fought it tooth and nail but..

I work in Wayne Co. and the people are great. Very friendly and helpful. I cover several counties and if I had my choice, I'd be in Wayne..

The job situation isn't the best unless you get into some kind of government. They seem to be doing well. Lots of small businesses and farms to find work but high paying jobs are few. Rubbermaid was one of the bigger companys and they are closing the end of June. Construction seems to be doing well for I see building almost everywhere.

We are in zone 5 as far as growing gardens. I don't believe the taxes are as high as where I'm at.

10. Ohiosteve

Ohiosteve Well-Known Member

Dave,
    You must be in western Ohio. The only thing that you mention the is true in SE Ohio is no bears, and even that is changing. There are bear sitings every so often around here in Jefferson Co.

11. Melissa

Melissa member

Yes, I am in Belmont County and there is barely a flat place anywhere! South of us there are more hills. There are thousands of whitetail deer, flocks of turkeys, bears starting to move in, grouse, squirrels and rabbits to hunt. There is no lack of animal life around here! SE Ohio is probably the best area in the state for the homesteading lifestyle.

12. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Echoing Melissa's comments, southeast Ohio counties are good locations for homesteading. Washington County has been farming country forever, and our bottomlands near the Ohio River were once known for the best cropland around. This entire area is growing but there are still areas where one can set up for small farming. Heavy manufacturing exists, though not hiring on permanent basis very frequently, so I'd say we are in a holding pattern there. I worked 25 years and some in industry. Allied health field goes begging for nurses, technicians, and nursing aides. Some opportunities exist in clerical and business services. The trucking industry begs for drivers with class A licenses. We have two schools available, Washington State Community College and a tech school. Across the river in WV, there are three, the major being West Virginia U., in Parkersburg.
    If you are very interested, I can search some sites for you to visit. Post here. I have lived here all my life and although we did consider selling and moving last fall (for hubby's work), I could stay here and not mind a bit. .............Margo

13. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

in answer to the original question - yes, in fact, the official 2000 census reports that several million people live in ohio

14. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

I am in NW Ohio. It is a little different here in that land prices are a little high. Demand went up while the economy was slow and real estate was booming. I would expect that to slow down as the economy continues its upward trend. Prices are anywhere from $5000 an acre here in Wood County to over $10,000 an acre in Lucas county where there is a denser population and the best area school district.
    The general rule of thumb as far as mild weather is, the closer you are to Lake Erie, the milder it is. Lake Erie tends to resist temperature changes due to all that water having to freeze/thaw, warm up etc. It takes much more energy to change the temperature of water than air. We moved just 30 miles south and we can really feel the difference in air temperature changes.

Here in Weston (Wood County) there are relatively few laws about what they allow on your property. If homesteading means raising things for your own use, then you can pretty much do as you please. If you want to sell meat then it gets more complicated. I could sell thousands of eggs without interference, but once I sold 10,000 (I think) then I would have to be inspected. They allow any building or planting on my own property as long as it is within 10 feet of the property line. Other Rural areas will vary, tho. The lack of regulations was one of the main things that drew us to this town.

I like the area and the people, but they aren't as friendly as Southerners, generally speaking. You will have to adjust to people avoiding looking at you and everyone minding their own business. Few strangers will say "hi" to you unless they are paid to be friendly. That was probably the biggest adjustment for me when we moved back up here from Southern Indiana. People are nice when you get to know them, but they are not as out-going.

15. greyhound girl

greyhound girl Well-Known Member

Hi - I'm in Monroe County, which is SE Ohio just below Belmont Co. and just above Washington Co. It's beautiful country down here - they call it Little Switzerland. Lots of cattle - both dairy and beef. Lots and lots of goats. No zoning and land prices are still fairly reasonable. There is a good website for Monroe Co. - do a search on it. No malls in this county - not many people either.

16. Bramblecroft

Bramblecroft Member

I live in Morrow County, about 35 miles north of Columbus.

Was born in Summit County and raised in Stark County, which is adjacent to Wayne County toward the north and northeast. Wayne County is still a very beautiful and rural county. Some great small towns and I think Wooster is one of the best kept secrets in America. Wooster puts you just about about half-way between Canton and Mansfield along I-30. I don't think you can go wrong in Wayne County, but the snow is a factor. Depending on where you're at in the county you can get the lake effect from Lake Erie. SR 30 is often refered to as the "snow line."

I enjoy central Ohio because the are more sunny days here. When we do get cloudy or stormy weather but it rarely stays around long.

I do agree with earlier comments that we have a large population in this state, I believe we're over 11 million now. If not, we're getting darn close. We do have the air, water and other pollution problems that come with our heavy manufacturing base, but the manufacturing jobs are leaving in droves.

Ohio has many different regions, and many soil types. Depending on what your preferences are I'm certain you'll find someplace you'll like.

Let us know where you ended up. This string is kind of old and I thought I drop a line to see if you've moved yet.

17. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I live in Medina County (the southern portion) about 8 miles north of the county line between Medina and Wayne. I am in Wayne on a regular basis. Wayne has way less snow than we do and the land is considerable cheaper, especially in the Shreve area south of Wooster. I love the winter and the snow, with that said, if I were not tied down where I am at now, I would look to Southeast Ohio. Very cheap land, good value, lots of forest, and a little milder. Perfect for homesteading.

As far as hunting, if you look at the record books you will see that bigger bucks are taken in Ohio on a regular basis as they have a better management plan than the surrounding states (especially Pa, which interestingly enough has been trying to adopt Ohio's management plans and let those scrawny bucks pass and grow a little), as far as Gun Laws go, Ohio has Conceal Carry, I know many people that would disagree with Dave's assertation that Ohio is strict on Gun Laws.

You will definitley get 4 seasons here and great growing, oh, and some of the best apples in the world, truly (eat your heart out washington! LOL) Fall is spectacular and the peopel (especially in Wayne) are very friendly, but reserved. It will be different than TN as people aren't as forward generally, but pretty straightforward and friends that stick fast when you need them.