Does anyone know...

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Snuffy Smith, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Snuffy Smith

Snuffy Smith Well-Known Member

of a machine that will take down thick, hard to cut, tall weeds? Weed eater won't do it.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Hurry on down to your local hardwear store and bring back an abrasive cable type hacksaw blade and I'll bet you can figure out how to cut it in half and use instead of string on your trimmer. Do be aware that it will eat through leather shoes real fast.

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

A Stihl trimmer/brushcutter should handle it nicely. You can get different blades for different types of weeds but we find the saw blade clears them all.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I just go to Big Lots, discount/discontinue products store, and buy carbide tipped imported table saw blades and then I take a drill bit and bore the center out so that the blade will fit my weed eater. It make a marvelous cutting tool and will cut saplings as well as weeds. Obviously wear safety equipment when operating such a tool.

5. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

As said a Bush blade or saw blade(did that one myself also, 7 1/4 inch circle saw blade) will do stuff up to 2inches thick,given you put it on a good weed eater.Make sure you get the kind with teethe like a saw blade! the 3 and 4 point blades vibrate to bad!

With that said what type of trimmer line are you using?
    If its breaking or melting down inside the head.You might just need better line.Try to find Still ,or Huskavarna's Titanium line.It will not break off,of melt while cutting any kind of tuff grasses,small weeds! But obviously it will not cut saplings.
    I have used a friends Field and tuff brush mower (i forget the name,the one thats on TV all the time!) Anyway the one he has is the older model that uses one big blade like a bush hog.It cuts anything that will go under the deck! Anything! :eek: It is also self propelled. :D If you could find one of these you'd be in business.Might try running a want add in your local paper. ;)

6. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

Perhaps a goat.

7. opus

opus Well-Known Member