Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... what to wear next to one's skin during winter months that will not collect moisture when working up a sweat?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Not cotton, definitely. I wear those merino wool mixed lining clothing. They aren't tight enough to be long johns, but maybe they are supposed to be? (Can't find the tops tight enough for me)
Paradox is one brand, you can find them at Costco, Amazon, not sure where else.
But I think the big thing is no cotton. Stick to merino wool mixes and polypropylene. The polypro is a big one in military under clothing, which I have tried some of my hubby's and loved it, so he bought me some smaller to wear. :)

And try to layer, so you can strip as you sweat and put back on as you get colder. At least here in eastern WA that is how I do it. And that is colder than VA. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
DF wears Under Armour sweat wicking clothing. Some of it can be pricey so he buys during sales and at outlets. I've worn his shirts when working out and I gotta admit, they keep you nice and comfy without getting sweaty.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
I wear polyester shirts as a first layer when I run.

Sometimes, they have a small percentage of lycra in the blend so that they stretch a bit more.

They're New Balance brand "Lightning Dry." I'm not sure that they're called that, anymore, but any polyester\lycra or spandex blend is going to be similar.

Unfortunately, some of the shirts smell real wanky shortly after they're filled with sweat and only get worse until they dry or are washed.

·
Premium Member
10,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I will look around and check out those you all suggested. :)

·
Premium Member
10,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This "silk" and "merino wool".... don't they shrink if washed; thus, they would need to be dry cleaned? ? ?

If I went ahead and washed them in "cold" water anyway, would they still be wearable if I had ordered them several sizes too large for me to begin with?

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Cuddl Duds. They are $$ full price, but the department store here has them buy 2 get 1 free, or 2nd one 50% off, etc., pretty regularly.

·
Registered
999 Posts
This "silk" and "merino wool".... don't they shrink if washed; thus, they would need to be dry cleaned? ? ?

If I went ahead and washed them in "cold" water anyway, would they still be wearable if I had ordered them several sizes too large for me to begin with?

Usually the wool or silk isn't the only fabric component, so as long as you follow laundering instructions, which are usually to mild detergent in regular delicate type load, low heat dry, all is good.
My Paradox brand tops are doing great.

OHHHH! But I should add. 99% of this type of clothing should NOT get fabric softener. That removes its wicking abilities. I don't use FS at all, so it isn't a conscious thought in our house.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
I'm a little leery about wearing something that comes out of the back end of a caterpillar.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'm a little leery about wearing something that comes out of the back end of a caterpillar.
Better than having previously been any part of a cat, no?!
Speaking of your absolute love for cats.... A story you might like.
I had to buy a new turkey for thanksgiving because my 3 little barn beasts opened up the spare fridge in the barn and ate the whole breast/thigh area of our turkey!
I went in the barn yesterday morning to fetch something, and one guilty little fuzzball was sitting on the shelf next to the turkey, door wide open, munching away. I am going to fashion a child/cat lock for it now. Until then I have a heavy box parked in front. Anyhoo... lol

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Everyone knows that turkeys are good. That's why we eat them for Thanksgiving.

Cats will sometimes try to eat as much turkey as they can because they think that it will somehow dilute the evil that's on their own insides.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Everyone knows that turkeys are good. That's why we eat them for Thanksgiving.

Cats will sometimes try to eat as much turkey as they can because they think that it will somehow dilute the evil that's on their own insides.
Is that what they were doing?! Glad I know now! :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts