Does Anyone Know Where I Can Buy

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ninn, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

really cheap plastic barrels for water storage? I'm talking about the white ones with the full lids, like apple juice comes in at the hospitals and such. I need about 6 of them for rainwater storage before summertime comes along. I just know that if I store rainwater, I won't need it; but if I don't, I will. I want to be sure I have enough water to make a good strong showing with my first garden. Super cheap is good, free is even better. Any suggestions?

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Chemical barrels, I use the term chemicals loosely.

I have read on the forums before that some cola production facilities give barrels away. Check with Pepsi, Coke, and any other brands of soda producing facilities to see about obtaining some. Understand they are usually a sticky mess as syrup comes in them.

You might also check with car washes for cheap barrels as they get cleaning products in them.

New barrels are terribly high priced and the shipping is horrible. Well---in my opinion.

Do they have to be plastic? Sometimes you can get dented ones for free as oil companies don't like them to be refilled.

3. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

Also check with local restaurants or anywhere that serves food in bulk. Maybe even check with the hospital?

When we homebrewed beer, we went to a local restaurant and asked for beer bottles. They were thrilled to give them to us. Same with large containers that pickles and such comes in. They throw this stuff away, so many will be happy for you to come get it. Never hurts to ask! And if one says no, check with another.

Penny

4. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

If you search for "food grade" barrels that had honey or syrup or other non-chemical ickies, you should find some for under $20 I would imagine. When I was in Oregon, you could buy them for around $10. Rack you brain and think of places that would buy big quanties of such ingredients....maybe a very large bakery?

5. sleeps723

sleeps723 Well-Known Member

i got lots but im in texas

6. Ninn

Honey, you might wanna keep those and start catchin all the rain you can. The dairy farm down the road from me is installing a rain water catch system on the roof of every building they have. They are anticipating the hottest summer in 100 years. I am just taking my cue from them. The new a/c goes on layaway this weekend.

7. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Ninn, You could check in Mulligan's shopper. There is a woman, Nancy I think, who has them down below Tunkhannock for about 9-10 each. If you have a pickup you could probably do one trip and get six!
    If you don't get the free shopper, let me know and I'll try to find a number for you when the next shopper comes in...Ann

8. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

PICKLE FACTORY
    there is a pickle factory in waterloo wi that sells them for 4 dollars and vinigar is the worste thing that has been in them.

there should be pickler in ny someplace

be carefull what chemical was in your barrel if you use chem barrels.

9. sleeps723

sleeps723 Well-Known Member

i use 500 gal totes to catch rain water

10. Ninn

Annie~

Found that lady's ad in today's Mulligan and will be calling her. Also posted on freecycle, as well. May have found a source for several for free, too. There is a man down the road from me with a whole pile of them just thrown down his bank. Bet I can have them for the work of going after them. That's my kinda price tag!

11. Timedess

Timedess Guest

May I ask where you/they found this information out???? I'd like to see this!

12. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

13. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Try the closest city water treatment plant, too.

14. TSYORK

TSYORK Jhn Boy ina D Trump world

Not sure where you are located, but a guy up the road from me here in the foothills of NC sells them for 3 bucks a piece. The barrells had cow udder dip treatment in them if you're concerned about that.

15. Ninn

Was stated by the farmer down the road when I went to ask him about buying some manure from him for my compost bin. We happen to be passing acquaintances, as I am resposnible for the smashing of his mailbox and a huge dent in his maple tree in the front yard a few years back. He mentioned it when we were talking about preps for the garden-asked me if my house was prepped for the summer. Said it was gonna be a hot one, probly the hottest in the last hundred years or so, based on the current weather patterns. He's about 60 or so, so I am assuming he knows what he's talking about. One source of info I never argue with is the local farmers-they know alot more than I do.

16. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

When I need them I go to the Dyalisis Center. They have saline that comes in them and are free. :hobbyhors