1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
looks like a trombone squash to me

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
A trombone squash would have an enlarged seed end.
My guess is either an Armenian cucumber or a luffa sponge.
could it be an inmature trombone? or how about cucuzza squash or is that same as trombone?

cucuzza

looking at the inside texture i think you are right....luffa gourd.

·
Anchorite Gardener
194 Posts
could it be an inmature trombone? or how about cucuzza squash or is that same as trombone?

looking at the inside texture i think you are right....luffa gourd.
Cucuzza is an edible gourd with an unlined, smooth skin. Grown on the ground it will curl and twist resembling a snake, thus its other name: snake gourd. I've grown them and they are great for frightening friends and neighbors.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. It never occurred to me that it could be a gourd of some sort. A luffa gourd. Is that the same kind that you would use like a sponge? I've never grown any and have no clue what to do with them.

·
Anchorite Gardener
194 Posts
Thanks for the responses. It never occurred to me that it could be a gourd of some sort. A luffa gourd. Is that the same kind that you would use like a sponge? I've never grown any and have no clue what to do with them.
The finished luffas are great in the shower or tub and make great gifts. You can cut them in half and stick an 18 inch wood or plastic rod in one of the holes to make a great back scrubber.

Google to find instructions and also pictures of flowers of luffa and Armenian cucumbers to be sure which you have.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
It doesn't look like a luffa to me -- too long and narrow. It looks like a snake gourd or a snake melon to me. If it was more solid inside, I'd say it was a painted serpent cucumber. (And those are WONDERFUL to eat!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts