Does anyone know of a Modular Home site?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by crystalniche, Dec 11, 2005.

1. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

We are looking to put up a modular home on our land here and are having problems finding a good place to buy one. We have looked locally and found that the prices for a modular here are more than for a stick built home. Does anyone have any suggestions? We can't build a home from a kit due to lack of time. Also my husband has a handicap that would greatly hinder him if he were to try to build something so big as a house. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

If you can get a stick built home in your area cheaper than a modular, this is a no brainer.....get the stick built. If you plan on keeping it for a considerable length of time, the stick built will appreciate FAR more than the modular. That isn't to say modular homes don't appreciate. They do. Just not as much as a stick built.

Go to Google.com and type in modular homes and the state you live in. You should get a gazillion replies.

There is no way of knowing if your modular home manufacturer is a "good" one or a "bad" one. Most people wind up purchasing modular homes from companies that employ the best salespeople, have the best brochures/websites, or have the best showrooms.

Modular homes do have their place. They can be constructed in as little as 2 weeks.
    I'd advise anyone to upgrade the wall coverings (the el cheapo basic wall covering is some garbage on the consistency of cardboard), and the windows (the Chinese made el cheapo basic windows are a joke).

3. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I'built stick build homes since forever But if its under 50-100,000.00 (depending on area) I would buy the modular home. It would be nice to get it without the trim and cabinets cause that stuff will be cheap (maybe not). Better made home nowdays in my opinion. I see what is being stick built nowdays. Not very impressive. IF you can find the right contractor you can get a decent stick built. But it will be more expensive than modular.

4. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Today there are many options when ordering your modular. Things to consider are double pane windows, tape and textured walls, upgraded carpeting & kitchen cabinets. I'll end up tearing out all my cabinets & installing new because they're so cheap.

I bought a repo. - very upgraded including whirlpool tub (excet for the cabinets). I figure I saved about $20,000.

Go online for ratings. Cavco is considered a lower quality, Redman higher. There are many more manufacturers, Thoes two just come to mind.

You can even have the ground dug out, so all the metal framing is level with the ground & it doesn't sit on a stem wall.

Make sure the ground underneath is very stable & solid or you'll get lots of cracks.

Best of luck. :)

5. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

Here is a very comprehensive site for information:
    http://www.modular-usa.com/new/floorplan_01.htm
    Note: Get all the information you want WITHOUT spending money.

3 Factors that contribute to the cost of home construction:
    1. Size
    2. Complexity
    3. Quality of Materials

If you compromise on the first two but not the third, you should end up with a home that is comfortable and appealing to live in while also being less expensive to own and operate in the long term. Here would be one such example from the site above:

http://www.hold-safe.com/
    http://www.hold-safe.com/plans_view_1.asp?ID=147

You could get an estimate for such a home from both a modular home builder and a on-site home builder. Compare quality of materials. You can reduce inital cost of construction somewhat by leaving the second floor incomplete. In other words - subfloor, insulation, and drywall and electrical completed, but no finished floors and the plumbing only roughed in. You can still use the second floor for storage and a workshop and finish it yourself later. Similarly you can start with only a subfloor on the main floor and finish it later if you have better floors in mind after paying the mortgage down a bit or you want to do it yourself. Most builders will try to discourage you from doing that be quoting only a marginal savings for doing so, but they are probably leaving plenty of room for negotiation. If you upscale in some other area, like cedar shingles for siding rather than vinyl, they might be more willing to compromise. Cedar shingle, if it is affordable in your area, looks very good on a small simple house. Smaller simpler but quality windows also look very good and more traditional on a small simple house. The living room window in the above home for example could be the same size as the bedroom. That would also make the living room seem larger and have more wall space. It would also look more traditional. I think I would lose that octagonal window also, unless the front of the house is to the South. If you put smaller windows on all sides but the South and larger windows on the south you will also have a more energy efficient home. If you change the back of the house however so that the garage is on the other side and you walk through a bathroom/laundry/mudroom to get to the kitchen you could have all the plumbing on an interior wall and have very large windows in the back of the house if this is to the South.

6. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

If your buying a Modular buy a top of the line Horton. In this area Horton's are far better made than the competitors.

Kenneth in NC

7. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

You didn't say what state you live in. A lot of people use modulars in Maine because the inspections of stick built houses is not regulated or something.
    I have a modular because it is a lot faster to put up, 4 months from order date you can move in. We did. Yes the base model is a piece of crap, but we are going to overhaul it anyway, so who cares.
    Kent homes makes a good home, they are really IRVING from Canada. You get a little better house for the money, because it is a Canadian company. (Canadian economy) I have seen a Kent home, nice, nice, nice!

8. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

There are two very different "modulars" out there. One is a HUD code. It is built to federal standards and has has a non removable steel frame, and construction techniques that are vastly different than typical stick construction. This product is sold with a title, as in vehicle title for a very specific reason.....it's nothing more than a double wide trailer! Typically it will depreciate and it will not last as long as a stick built house. The other "modular" is a state code unit. This is a stick built house built in a factory. I live in one with a 7/12 pitch roof, all plywood sheathing, trusses on 16" centers, architectural shingles, Anderson wood windows, hardwood trim, 2x6 walls, 2x10 floor joists etc. Structurally it is very overbuilt compared to a typical stick house. Double band joist, tons of teco hardware, extremely tight fastener placements etc.. this is so it can travel down the highway with minimal damage. After five years it has proven to be a great decision and I would do it again. It appreciates as fast as other homes in the neighborhood. An appraiser recently did a walk through, and wanted the name of the factory for his new home. I paid roughly 20% less than a local builder wanted to stick build the same house. It was ready to move into less than two weeks after the factory delivered it. Given that central PA is a huge manufacturing base for state code units, you should have no problem having a dealer "build" you one in CT. Our manufacturer does business in 14 states on the east coast. Give the high costs in most of the Northeast, a state code unit should be substantial cheaper than having a local builder stick build an identical home. As for hud code units, I wouldn't even think about one unless it was really cheap. I have worked on several (renovations and repairs). They can be really cheesy, some of the corners they cut are hard to believe, like roof trusses made of 2x2s. Good luck.

9. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

Another thing you can do is buy a used single wide trailer. In most places you can get decent ones between 3,000- 5,000.00. Set it up on your property and then when you get time build your home. It will make compfy living till you get your house built and can be resold for what you paid for it. A lot of times the county will allow you to "temporarily" put a singlwide on your property while you build.

10. ~Misha

~Misha Live life to it's fullest

Check out Clayton Homes We got a doublewide from them this past year and LOVE IT! It's better built than the stick built homes in town.

11. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Yes their is differances in modular v/s manufactured homes. I think this is where the controversy lies. A modular home is a standard built home out of conventional materials just like a stick built. Except that differant fasteners are used to make it ok to drive down the road. They can come in many sections and be as large or small as you like. I've seem plans for Center Hall Colonials, Bi-levels, Cape Cods, or what ever.

Manufactured housing is just a mobile home with a new name. If it has a metal frame it's a trailer. They only come in ranches.

12. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

My son and his wife had a two story, 3250 square foot home built this year. Yes, they are built stonger than site built homes since they must be "trailered" to the construction site. There they are installed on the foundation and sections are connected. Siding and roofing follows along with patching and painting of any cracks or damage from traveling to the site. Then your or their electrician and plumber need to do their part. I was a carpenter for 40 years working on everything from custom homes to commercial buildings. Believe me their modular home was"over built" and I was pleased with the finished product. Check out customers whom have dealt with the Modular Home Contractor and the manufacturer of the homes. Don't be afraid to ask "a lot of questions". Get everything in writing and read it thouroughly. If there is something you don't understand ask more questions. Good Luck. NJ Rich

13. MarkNH

MarkNH Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what part of Ct you are in but I know of 2 places.

1. In Danbury right off of I-84, might be scalzo homes but not sure. I'll ask my folks the next time I talk to them, they live in danbury.

2. In Nashua, NH there is Value Homes which I believe will travel to northeastern Ct. We used them in 97 and they were Ok.

Like some people have said, the basic box is good. Where a difference can be made is what you pick for accessories and choose to have installed on your site. To do it over again, I wouldn't choose their kitchen cabinets. We also had hardwood floors site installed.

From Big Yellow for danbury
    Elegantly Crafted Homes Inc
    Building custom modular homes at an affordable price
    (609) 259-7772
    business profile | phonephone
    Website www.elegantlycraftedhomes.com

Be the first to rate this business
    Rate It
    Affordable Quality Modulars
    We Are A Modular Home Builder Who Takes Pride In Our Reputation Of Quality Performance & Details.
    (978) 544-7655
    phonephone
    Website http://www.aqualitymodulars.com

Rate It
    Pope Industries Inc.
    Builders Of Custom Modular Homes & Buildings. Complete Design, Sitework To Finish. Focused On Lasting Customer Relationships & Quality Construction.
    business profile
    Website www.popeindustries.net

Rate It
    Connecticut Valley Homes
    The fastest, easiest, and most enjoyable way to build the large or small custom home you want. Over 1,200 Homes in CT and RI Since 1981.
    (800) 468-6284
    phonephone
    Website www.ctvalleyhomes.com

Epoch Homes
    Custom Designed Award Winning Modular Homes From Cottages To Mansions. See Our Website For Downloadable Floor Plans
    (603) 225-3907
    (877) 463-7624 (toll-free)
    Email: infoepoch.corp.com
    business profile | phonephone | emailemail | map | save
    Website http://www.epochhomes.com

Rate It
    Blind O Corporation
    Proudly Serving Danbury
    (845) 883-6088
    (845) 883-6312 (fax)
    business profile | phonephone | map | save
    Website http://www.webyellowpages.com/blindocorp.htm

P.M. if you want more info.

Mark In Southern NH for just a little while longer.