Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Homesteader
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1942 clawfoot bathtub we are planning to put into our remodeled bathroom. The problem I am having is keeping the feet secure in place. I'm wondering if there is something missing? It is cast iron on cast iron and thought maybe there should be some nonslip material between the feet and the tub? Any help, if you have any idea what I am talking about or know of a website. Thanks! :help:

·
Registered
519 Posts
There shopuld be a small bolt on each leg. This bolt will snub up against the tub, once you place the leg correctly. That should hold it. Remember, the pressure is down, not sideways. Locate your tub where you want it and lift it to put on the legs.
Good luck.

·
East Central MN
609 Posts
I remodeled my bathroom and put in an old clawfoot tub, I have no idea how old it is but it doesn't have any bolts. The legs weren't tight so I talked to an antique bathroom fixture guy and he recommended slidding in cement nails between the feet and the tub to snug up the feet. That worked perfect and the tub or the feet haven't moved since I put it in, it's just sitting directly on the tile floor.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I took my tub out after about 10 years. Too much hassle to clean around the legs and getting into the corners was difficult.

·
Premium Member
17,948 Posts
The feet on our clawfoot tub are attached with 1" carriage bolts.

·
Homesteader
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the bolts are there. BUT I cannot tighten them more than finger tight or the feet start to lift out. I hope that makes sense. I thought I had the feet secure but when the tub was jostled, they came loose. It's the getting in and out of the tub when using it that concerns me. Thanks for the replies!

Kevingr, a question for you. Hopefully you'll be back to read this. Or anyone else that can help. We are also putting the tub on a tile floor. Should I be concerned about the heavy cast iron tub on a tile floor? Could the regular use of the tub cause the tile to crack? I'm thinking about all that weight (plus water and heavy bodies) putting pressure on 4 points of the feet onto the tile.

·
Premium Member
17,948 Posts
They sell coasters to use below clawfoot tub feet. Do a google search to find these.

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
Our old clawfoot doesn't have any where to put a bolt for the legs.

When the leg is set where it is suppose to be, we needed to slide "nails" through the groove that was created between the tub and the leg piece.
We had some big square nails that worked perfect for the job and the connection is very sturdy.

Our tub sets directly on tile and we've had no problems so far.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Yes..we also use the little square "coasters' made of rubber that you can probably buy anywhere. Just put one under each foot and that should hold the tub for you. I wouldn't give up my old tub for anything..just love to fill it and soak away after a hard day on the homestead..no shower..abut that's OK..too.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
prairie said:
I have a 1942 clawfoot bathtub we are planning to put into our remodeled bathroom. The problem I am having is keeping the feet secure in place. I'm wondering if there is something missing? It is cast iron on cast iron and thought maybe there should be some nonslip material between the feet and the tub? Any help, if you have any idea what I am talking about or know of a website. Thanks! :help:
My old clawfoot that we put into a new bathroom merely has "Hooks" molded into the underside of the tub. The small bolts you mention are only for tightening the gap which the TAPERED PIN is driven into.

You're probably missing 4 flat, rectangular, 3-4 in tapered pins.

The Leg is "hooked" over the formed part on the tub, and the pin is driven tightly into a gap, which causes extreme pressure to be applied between the leg and the hook on the tub.

The legs are held on by pressure. If the tapered pin drives in and the leg is not sufficiently tight, that's what the adjusting bolt is for. You remove the leg, tighten the gap, re-hook it onto the tub, and drive in the tapered pin.

If your tub is like mine (and it sounds like it is) you cannot mount the feet without having the tapered pins. I'm not sure where you could buy any...somewhere online perhaps...

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
tallpines said:
Our old clawfoot doesn't have any where to put a bolt for the legs.

When the leg is set where it is suppose to be, we needed to slide "nails" through the groove that was created between the tub and the leg piece.
We had some big square nails that worked perfect for the job and the connection is very sturdy.

Our tub sets directly on tile and we've had no problems so far.
This is exactly how mine is also.

·
Homesteader
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a picture of it...

Does this look like anyone else's clawfoot?
As I mentioned, they don't stay secure. I can't tighten the screw too much or the foot pries out. Now that you know what it looks like can you tell me if I am missing parts? I should have posted a picture right away. I realize now there are different types of clawfoot set-ups.

I really appreciate everyones help. It's confusing for me so thanks for being so patient.

·
Premium Member
17,948 Posts
Here's your photo:

I bet you need one of those wedge shaped pins that Boleyz and Tallpines are talking about.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts