Does anyone know anything about earthen (earthin?) floors?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kamirusma, May 23, 2004.

1. kamirusma

kamirusma Guest

My husband is wanting info about a type of floor called earthen or earthin (not sure of correct spelling) floor. He said he read about it and it's a type of floor that is made out of (he believes) lime, dirt, etc. - all natural materials. Does anyone know anything about this type of floor or where we could find info about it? Thanks!

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Might he mean soil cement? Might give hime something else to search for I only know its a soil and cement mixture used as cheap paving. It probably has other uses too.

3. VonWolfen

VonWolfen Well-Known Member

He may be thinking of tamped earth...somewhat of a lost art. It involves the use of clay based soil and a tool with a long metal handle...the end consists of a heavy metal rectangle about 3" by 6". The soil is beat or "tamped until it is almost concrete-like.....and I've heard you can tell when the compression is correct by a ringing in the handle...supposedly a good floor....but hard work.

4. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

We toured a reconstructed hacienda in Taos once. Most of the floors in the bldg were earthen. The original method was to pack it hard as above then wet it with ox blood as a binder before tamping again. The reconstruction used linseed oil in lieu of oxblood. Has to be "resealed" as needed.

5. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

there is a machine to tamp/pack soil for cememt work that will do the job and is cheap to rent, (when you think about sore arms the next day.) a tamped floor is just soil with lime and some clay mixed in (use a tiller to mix) it will take some work to do it and you will still need a concrete foundation 24'' deep. to keep the rodents out .

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

7. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

8. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I tamp my clay floor tiles with my truck and press forms.

9. limhyl

limhyl Well-Known Member

What a great looking floor! I would seriously consider that when we build or house. Looks pretty simple too. Theresa.