Homesteading Forum banner

Does anyone know anything about converting a gas range to LP?

998 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  comfortablynumb 
#1 ·
Here's our situation:

We have family coming over for Christmas, and our range went out the other day. We were able to buy a new one (the last one in the warehouse), and got it home.
The manual says to have a professional convert the range if LP is used (I guess the range is set up for Natural Gas?). I seriously doubt that we can get someone out here on Christmas Eve, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience in this deparpment.

Any advice would be very helpful!!

Thanks!

#3 ·
You will need the brand name, model # and Serial # of your new range, the palce you purchased your stove from should have an adaptor or should be able to tell you where to get one.

Your propane company may have an adaptor or also tell you where to get one.

Most places do not like to sell them to the end user for libility purposes, but sometimes you can find a place that will. A used appliance/repair store may also be able to help you.

These parts usually run between $20-35.

#5 ·
a man went skydiving, and after he jumped from the plane, he counted.. 1..2...3.. then pulled his rip cord... nothing happened, he paniced and pulled the reserve chute.. nothing. "damn.. could anyone be this screwed?" he thought to himself. just then he saw a flash on the ground, and observed a woman with a skillet in her hand flying UP in the air twards him. as she passed by he yelled.."HEy.. do you know anything about parachutes???"
she yelled back "no! do ytou know anything about gas stoves???"

sorry that didnt help...
they are right, gotta change those orifaces, or it wil burn funny, or you might take a flight.

#6 ·
Well, I learned a little about gas stoves today.

We called around and found someone who was already working not too far from here. He came out and changed the orifices. We never even thought to ask when we bought the stove and nobody mentioned anything to us about the difference between LP and Natural gas.

So it's installed and working now. Yeah!

I did get a crash course in cooking on our wood stove. I made a few dozen cookies and a pie in it. So at least we have a backup for tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies!

#7 ·
Glad to hear you are up and running. Thought I'd share... We have an antique gas stove, made by Chambers in about 1930. Got it for free about 7 years ago from some friends. It works great - and the orifices are adjustable. When we moved and switched from propane to natural gas I reset the orifices with a crescent wrench in about 5 minutes. New is not always improved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.