Does anyone know about this woodstove?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marisal, Oct 18, 2005.

1. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

2. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

We have used one similar. It was bought used and had a crack down the side. I have seen several more and some also had cracks. None were this brand, never heard of the brand. The box heaters work well, use long wood and are easy to clean out. They heat quickly, but won't hold many coals, overnight, maybe they make them different,now...

3. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

My sister had one and she said it was GREAT for heating but it the whole thing got hot, all the way down to the legs. I dont know if it is supposed to do that, but other than that she loved it and also was able to cook on top of it.

4. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

This is a China Made Stove. The materials are cast so they are pretty solid. The thing to remember is this stove is not made for long burns. It is called an EPA Exempt stove. The stove door leaks air by design. Due to the fact that it has no seal. So it's not really possible to "damp back" the stove for long burns. This is why they are sometimes cracked or damaged due to heat. The stoves can be overfired. Also some of these stoves aren't UL listed so they can't be put in to a house that requires fire insurance.

But these are great for heating a hunting cabin or detached garage. The price is right and they are well built. Be sure to check the price of shipping before you order. Here in PA the True Value Hardware sells this brand and you can save buying it there because of no shipping. Also get or make a safe chimney.

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I had one of these for an end table... a vogelzang.

my brother took it for his garage... it will heat you out of the house.
    you need heat shields and a pad, like was said even the legs get hot... good in a sense, its radiating heat over more surface area.

if you put in a grate to keep the wood above the coals it burns a lot better..

for a cheap solid stove, they are pretty good!

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I got one just like it(not hooked up), and I wouldn't never buy another one if using in the house. A shop might be ok or a area that you want to heat for a little while(want burn long without reloading). It will scare you if you put a big load of dry wood into it because it will get so hot----the door and draft door are not air tight-------the fire will roar. I have actually open the door and threw a glass of water into it several times to cool it off some. You learn real quick what kind of wood and how much to put into it. My opinion============ if you are putting a heater in your home----Get One That is Air Tight, so you can close off the draft and it will go out or burn real low. Randy

7. Virg

Virg Active Member

Its an Ok stove but being the genius I am, I put a seal around the door an it got Real hot. Then a loud BANG. A 1/4" crack in the side that later was invisable when it cooled. I would buy another but only new.

8. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Hey!
    We finally uncrated our woodstove today and it is the very one in the pic.
    The first thing the booklet said was NOT to use in a mobile home.
    WHY NOT? I guess our insurance wont cover it, but I really would like to know why not if we took extra precautions in installing it.
    Thanks, Rachel

9. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

I have the Frontiesman from the vogelzang company and like it quite a bit. I'm not sure what size place your heating but I have a smaller cabin 16 x 24 and it heat quite nicely. The only drawback so far it that I think the woodbox is kind small. I haven't had the problems with it cracking the some of the other folks have talked about so maybe it's built different or I'm not getting it as hot or whatever. Have you gone to their web site and looked at the other stoves avaiable?
    www.vogelzang.com

good luck getting a stove

10. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

You can use it in a Mobile Home-----------If you DO take alot of precautions!! But the manufactor has to cover their Butt so they Tell you------You can't------I had mine in a Camper, but I had to use several heat shields------one over the top of the flue pipe close to the ceiling----If I hadn't I am SURE that it would have burnt the camper down. The heatshield over the top was a large piece of aluminum, with a heat sensor/thermostat attached-----when the shield would get 135 degree's it would turn on a fan that would blow air between the ceiling and the shield to keep the ceiling cooled off---The other shields used no fan------------------Most camper's ceiling height is lower than 7ft and some mobile homes are around that. If you use it in a mobile home or any home-------check real close while it is burning Good--------Anything that is close to it, like a wall, ceiling, furniture etc---check and make sure it is not to hot with your hand--if so put up a shield. Randy

11. bluetick

bluetick Well-Known Member

Marisal, it may be too late this season, but I would suggest looking for a used stove from a woodstove dealer. I got my used Quadrafire from a dealer/installer for about $600. They checked it out and put on a new door gasket before putting it up for sale. It is an older model, but heats just fine.

12. JennDBass

JennDBass Wannab crunchy mama

My grandparents had one in Colorado. The fire box is very small and the air intake through the door makes for a very uneven burn. If it gets too hot it will pop. But if you can get a good coal bed with your kindling... and push all the kindling/coals to the back corner, prop up your wood as diagnonal as you can and you will get a steady burn for up to 4 hours.

13. marisal

Thanks for the replies!

We are actually going to be ordering this one:

[​IMG]

Does anyone have one?

Thanks!!

14. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

We have one of these right now in our work shop/ battery storage room! Works great, gets hotter than blazes ( the entire unit). We have stacked fire brick on top of ours to help hold some of that heat and have put some kind of fire proof stuff between the stove and the wall.

Definately not an air tight, but works great for its intended purpose!

15. marisal

http://www.transoceanltd.com/appliances/stoves/bigbear.html

Pretty reasonable price. $1145 for the base, but for the extras (Minus water jacket) with shipping is $1942 thats with the heat shield too.

The woman told me that the price will go up $50 on the 1st of the month.

I'll take a picture when we get it! :)