does anyone here raise ducks to eat

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by little mom, Dec 9, 2003.

1. little mom

little mom Active Member

we are getting into these home grown chickens
    ate duck awhile back real good
    are home grown better to eat to
    are they as easy to butcher as chickens
    any good recipe post them 4 duck

2. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

We raise Indian Runners Ducks (for the eggs) and Buff Orpingtons Ducks & BBW Turkeys for the meat. Next year, we're into Pekins - BIG TIME! We're giving each one of our neighbors a "Gourmet Christmas Duck" this week.

Ducks taste GREAT! The more good greens they get, the better they taste. Ours are fond of Clover (that little stuff that grows in your front lawn), grasses, lettuce, spinach, kale, popcorn - and bugs... The store bought variety were kinda bland, better than chicken, but lacked the mild flavor ours have (sorry, I can't describe it). :) Sort of like chicken with built in favor - not greasy nor gamey.

They are fun to watch, same as a chicken to butcher (just add soap to the scalding water), and simple to pluck & evascerate (sp). My bigger kids (5-15) did everything except dunking in the scalding water. Yes, one of them got really good with the knife.:eek: They can pluck a duck by hand in 2 minutes.

Recipies?
    http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/poultry/duck/indexall.html
    Over 60 right there, take your pick.

Bill

3. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I like BBQ duck! I had kaki Cambels [sp?]

4. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I raise some. Mine are crosses. I skin mine instead of plucking. Much easier in my opinion & they aren't as greasy that way. I usually roast mine & then pick off the bone & put in gravy. YUMMY!

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Only thing I don't like is having Ducks with Chickens.They are just too messy with water.

big rockpile

6. We have Muscovy ducks, very good eating. We skin them, much easier than picking. They can be used in any receipe that calls for beef. Muscovy ducks are very prolific, not at all unusual for a duck to hatch 15+ ducklings and ours lay almost every month of the year.

7. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

My favorite for meat are the pekins, they are good sized and tender. Yum!