does anyone here grow ramps?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by kentuckyhippie, Jan 2, 2013.

1. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

can anyone give me any info on growing ramps? I know the wild ones grow in wooded areas. could I grow them in a shaded part of the orchard? also, where could I order a few to plant. thanks

2. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

I planted them around on my property in WV. The did best on the north east slope. I would take a compass with me when going looking for ramps and mostly find them on north east slopes. That tells me that they like morning sun. I mostly planted the entire plants, but planted some of the woody risomes. The plant seemed to do better, but wasn't around long enough to see the end result, as my ex now has the place. It takes several years for them to become established.

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Ramps seemingly only grow where they want to grow. I've had some growing in a wildflower garden for at least 25 years. There, they have to compete with a lot of other plants so they are slow to spread. I've tried to give them the best possible conditions and they're gone in 2 years. Friend from a reservation up north sent a couple hundred young plants which I spread in various spots where I thought that they'd survive. That was 2 springs ago and it won't surprise me if I find none this coming spring.

Martin

4. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

That was pretty much my experience too, Martin. I planted them in several likely places. The next spring they had only come back in one. That Spring I planted several hundred in that area. They were looking good the last time I saw them.

5. kentuckyhippie

do they have seed? maybe that would work better than transplanting?

6. 606JAE

606JAE Well-Known Member

do not know anything about ramps, really not even wanting to try them. however I can answer one of your questions. this year was the first time I have ever seen ramps in a seed cataloge they have them in the pinetree garden seeds and accessories catalog.

7. Glacialtill

Glacialtill Well-Known Member

My brother in law who lives in Ontario has been transplanting some ramps from the wild into patches around their property. So far so good. Seems like you want to let them get established and then harvest sustainably so the patches can naturalize.

There's some interesting information in this article:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/20/dining/20forage.html?pagewanted=all

Some quotes:

How to harvest ramps sustainably is a controversial subject. Seeds take 6 to 18 months to germinate, and the plants take 5 to 7 years to produce seeds.

Dr. Chamberlain of the Forest Service advises foragers to avoid taking small, immature or flowering plants. He urges them to take only half of each ramp clump and replant the rest, along with the rhizome.

Pony likes this.
  8. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

We have some plantings that have survived for 4 years so far. Our adviser suggested pairs or trios planted in a circle - maybe 15 to 20 inch diameter. Some red, some white.

We have one group on a North-facing shady hillside, and one on a East-facing spot. Neither get much sun at one time, or in general.

I think they need to be on a hill, in medium or darker shade.

9. kentuckyhippie

thanks for the info guys and I will be checking out those catalogs mentioned.