Does anyone here cut brush for money?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jillis, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

We found out we have a cash crop on our land that we didn't know about. My son has been cutting "brush", that is, the branches of various evergreens on our property for a local florist who has a wreath-making operation. The best brush goes for .19 a lb. My son is making some good money cutting brush right now. They won't take it until after the first frost, which around here comes early.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Cutting pine tips is a big cottage industry in the mountains of NC. These cuttings are made into wreaths and what is referred to as roping. The roping is garland for holiday decoration. I have had some of the people that make these items tell me they can clear $5000 in a couple of months. I have no idea as to how many hours they work.

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Good tips are going for .35¢ a pound here. It was a good growing year for us. The tips that had been yellowish the last few years greened up nicely. It's been too warm for too long here so we got a late start on wreath making this year. I like being out in the woods tipping as much as I enjoy making the wreaths.

There's a science to making this brush last until after Christmas. Balsam brush needs three consecutive nights of 20° or below after November 1 to set the waxy coating that keeps the brush from drying out. Or, 20 days below 40° beginning after September 1. Once this happens there should be very little loss.

There's a sustainable method of tipping that will ensure a continued supply of tips for up to 20 years. I started out with plans for Christmas trees but then learned there's better money in managing the trees for brush.

This might be helpful: http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/7013.htm

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Wow! .35 a lb. That's great! My son is still in school and has chores as well as some sports activities. Not to mention it is hunting season. So I doubt he'll make $5,000.00. But he likes to make money, so when he can he goes out and cuts up a load. We homeschool, so if he gets his schoolwork and chores done quickly he can cut all the brush he wants...
    Thanks for the website!
    Blessings, Jillis!

5. buddyboat

buddyboat Active Member

Yes, we cut balsam boughs to sell to the wreath makers, get .24 cents per pound. I think this is our last year though. The price of gas, the extra food we have to buy (for me and the 3 boys), plus we pay the boys 7% each of every check. I hate cutting, the boys hate it.
    Our season just ended yesterday.
    Next year we will spend our time bow hunting deer, lots of deer. With the rabbits we will breed, the fish we catch, and all the deer we should have a couple of freezers full.
    We have to pay $100.00 for a permit just to cut balsam boughs. I have other tricks up my sleeve to make some extra cash.
    We cut about 4 tons this year. We are glad it's over - for good !!!
    They do make very good Christmas trees though.
    take care, buddyboat