does anyone have the same problem with a ADHD child

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by creeklady2000, Dec 15, 2006.

1. creeklady2000

creeklady2000 Well-Known Member

My almost 10 year old daughter has ADHD and when she is not on her medicine (ritalin) she gets into everything like 3 year old does she has ate the wax out of candles and has chewed her markers she will act out alot I have taken everything away that I can think of that will harm her but there always seems to be somthing I forget the bad thing is when she is on her medicine her eating goes way down and she is kinda of dumpy but she can concentrate to do her school work and with out it she can not do it at all she gets very frustrated and irritated and hyper when off her meds so I am wondering if anyone else out here on this board has the same problem with there child and what are some of the things they have done to help

2. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Not to jump on you about how you care for your child..but more of a comment about the general "lumping a child into a mold" mentality that is so prevalent in society these days.
    Are you sure that ritalin is the best route for your child? My oldest was diagnosed ADHD by school systems. and it was suggested that he be put on medication. After looking into more info on ritalin ( it's a class 2 narcotic..grouped the same as heroin and some other awful street drugs) I decided that was not the route I wanted to take. We very carefully monitored his diet and found that his sensitivity to excess sugar was a key to the largest part of his problems. More and more children are sensitive to food additives that you would think...ever hear of a kids allergic to peanuts when you went to school?
    It's very hard I know...I wish you the best of luck with this journey.

3. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

Avoid Red #40 dye like the plague.
    Encourage *controlled* movement.
    For example, when my youngest is doing homework or reading, I encourage movement. He can rock or walk around or swing his feet. This helps him tremendously. If I try to inhibit movement, we both tend to wind up like a spring and then just burst out from the pressure.
    I and many others I know who would be considered ADHD often have very serious mood swings, hyper spells, etc. after consuming any Aspartame, artificial colors, flavors and scents (many are derived from a common source).

4. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

Hi, my kid isn't adhd or add, but has the same 'impulsivity' (as it's been classified by drs and other med. professionals) What I've done is take her to 'neurofeedback'. We've got a guy here in our small town who does it and cheaper than in other places. Some say it is 'new age' stuff. It is not. It helps the person use their own brain waves (alpha beta theta) to calm themselves, focus, center, concentrate. It's not an overnight cure. after 2 or 3 45 minute sessions, I saw a reduction in horrible rages she had; better self regulation (not after only 3 appointments, but after a few) I no longer have to watch her every single second. She's 10, like your kid, and I can completely identify with you talking about what she gets into--putting stuff in mouth, throwing things out windows, destructive, cant concentrate, etc. It's called 'bio-feedback' or also 'neuro feedback' Check it out on the web. I dont medicate, but this is doing prtty well on its' own.
    After nearly a year, the guy is moving, and it breaks my heart that I wont have that resource here any more, I know it wont be so necessary as it was at first.
    good luck. Find out if there's someone nearby you. I hope there is, and perhaps your insurance will cover it. Here, some insurances do; I know that foster services will pay for it for kids fostered or adopted in this state.
    Good luck, and my heart is with you.
    Sherry

5. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    I had a friend years ago who was a nurse. Her son was this way. She began to research and found the Feingold Assn. She changed his diet, in fact she changed her whole family's diet. The boy's improvement was like night and day.

One thing I remember was the red food dye and the sugar. I am sure you can look it up on the internet. I do believe that in the long run your child will do way better with a natural approach.

It may be a little more work on your part at first, but worth it if your child can live in peace and happiness for the long run. All drugs carry side effects. Sometimes the side effects can shorten life or cause long-term things that they haven't even discovered yet.

6. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Get you child back to her doctor! They did the same thing to my son and now at almost 17 - they have decided that Ritalin was actually the WORST thing they could have put him on. There are MANY different things your child can have along with ADD or ADHD that make the syptoms worse.... if your present Dr. doesn't want to work with you on this - FIND ANOTHER!

7. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yes.

My son WILL fidget, that is just the way he is, though chewing the markers is something that he has never done. He would rather draw on his hand. Doing nothing while sitting quietly is not something that this boy does, so he carries a small toy in his pocket. He *IS* able to behave if there is something in his hands.

ADHD meds WILL affect a childs appetite: talk to her doctor about this. There are many little things that help, from serving her sandwiches so she can eat while she walks to changing the time of day when she gets her pill. My son eats poorly for half of the day and then chows down on the other half. It evens out.

Remember that your child WILL be doing something almost ALL of the time, so be certain she has acess to something that she can fiddle with.

As the posters above have pointed out, there are MANY ways to cope with ADHD. We have tried them all, and we still use those that works but he needs meds also.

My hyperactive brother never took meds, for him it was not necessary. For my kiddo, it was. What works, works!

8. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Maybe adjust the dose? If you think it's calming her too much, maybe the dose is too high. There has to be a happy medium in there somewhere.

One of our nephews, at age 6, was put on ritalin. He got moody and cried when he was on it. When he went off, he was out of control. A new psych came in to see him and diagnosed him with bipolar disorder.

I didn't know they could do that so young, but this psych is the most experienced around with kids. He probably knows what he's doing.

9. creeklady2000

Just to give you some more information I do avoid red dyes totaly if possible I am always reading lables she get very very little sugar she does not get pop or candy( other than holidays) I always have food for her to snack on like string cheese. natural yogurt, fresh and dried fuit , nuts, certain kinda of crackers, I have done alot of research about this I have tried alot of different things she is not a bad kid she is funny , kind, and very smart , I know that ritilin has its bad points and I agree and when I find somthing that works just as well so she can do her school work she is off of it but right now it works I am leaning more and more to not serving prossecced foods at all I am trying to go as natural as I can with everything , it is amazing once you start reading the labels on food what you are really eating I try to grow or buy this time of year fresh when ever it is possible , so I have done alot but it does seem to that you never learn quite enough

10. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Try a different medication. There are so many out there. That whole mouthing thing is what I deal with, with my almost 6 yr old who is ASD/ADHD/Communication Disorder. They think he has a touch of PICA, which is where a person will try to eat non edible things. If she has some sensory issues, like my son has, then she has a "need" to feel objects of various textures. Ds feels with his mouth. This may be way out of her control, I would think of it as part of her charcater and try to work on it that way. One thing the preschool did, was to make him wash all the things he would mouth.
    Give her stuff she can touch all the time, of different textures, sizes and weight. You know simple household stuff like hairbrushes and canned vegies. Does she like playing in the dirt or sand, or maybe in a bowl of rice or flour? I put the kids at the table when I'm kneeding bread or making busicuts and let them have some dough and flour (play dough would probably work too) and you would be amazed at how much they enjoy it. Yes, it makes a mess. Does she like certian textures/patterns better that others; long sleeves, heavy blankets? Without her meds it could be a case of sensory overload.

11. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

My son who is now 14 was diagnosed with ADHD and it was really HARD - a lot like your daughter.
    He was only 2 at the time and we took him off of ALL artificial colors, artificial flavours, and food coloring (red #40 is the worst!).
    He improved dramatically. No Ritalin.
    Now at 14 he was still having some of the same problems but not NEARLY as bad. He was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease.
    When he is on a gluten free diet, he is CALM and normal!!
    ADHD and pica are two of the MANY symptoms of celiac disease.

12. tchan

tchan Well-Known Member

My son was diagnosed when he was 6. I was threatened by the school if I did not get him on meds they would not let him pass 1st grade(even though his grades were okay). According to what his teacher informed me, she just didn't have time to deal with him. I was angry but got his doctor to put him on Adderall. He was only allowed to take his meds when he was at school. It was nice for a while and he started to learn what it was like not to be in trouble all of the time. But his appetite was non existent and he started getting very sensitive about strange things. If he couldn't tie his shoe just so he would cry or if he opened the door and it was raining outside he would just bawl! So his doctor weaned him off the meds over the space of a year. The school was upset but by then I had learned my rights so I ignored them. His doctor prescribed exercise and withhold almost all sugar. It worked so much better than meds! He was and still is (at age 13) in sports all year round. We got into gymkhanas and barrel racing to burn even more energy. We watched his diet carefully(no red dye, no candy, no extra sugar of any kind) He is still very active and can drive us nuts in no time at all but now that he is older he can do stuff like split firewood or shovel snow if we can't take it anymore. Strangely enough, the schools have been the worst problem of all even though his grades are passable. Every year would personally go talk to his teacher at the beginning of the school year and reiterate my wish for them not to reward him with candy or at least sugarless candy or they would be scraping him off of the ceiling. Did they ever comply? Not one! Halfway through the school year they would be calling me saying "do you think your son may have ADHD?" One teacher would make sure she sent him out the door almost every day with a large candy bar so by the time he reached home he was so hyper he was shaking. I think she thought it was funny. Of course, candy is his favorite thing so still we have to carefully watch him.

13. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

http://www.feingold.org/
    I can't say enough good about this diet. At the encouragement of many here I started my 5 yo son on this diet and it was the BEST thing I have every done. You owe it to your child and yourself to do this before medication.....if it doesn't work for him then go on to other options but if it does.....that means no medication. I want to make it very clear I don't work for Feingold or anything like that...I just have a son who was a poster child for ADHD and is now a very different boy!!

14. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Teresab, I am SO happy to hear that wonderful update on your son!!! I am sure your whole family is a lot calmer and happier now too. :)
    ARK

15. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I am just confirming what a lot of folks have already said here. My sons have been diagnosed ADHD/ADD, OCD, and my last son had doctor's baffled. Prescribed Ritalin/and some other heavy-duty psych med at three years old.....

My youngest son is the most severe. He was a drug exposed baby due to a horrific pregnancy, multiple surgeries and pain meds, antibiotics,etc. He was also nine weeks early. He had a milk allergy - I'm not talking lactose intolerance. Milk makes him psychotic - quite literally. He didn't sleep through the night until he was nearly three. He can't sleep if he's had milk. He's - 'somebody please stop me' speedy, never speaks lower than a scream, and violent outburst on dairy products. He is so sensitive that even a couple drops in of milk left in a glass that he then picked up and filled with water as youngster (didn't mind opaque water, lol) brought all his symptoms back mysteriously and I told DH either he sees a psychiatrist or I do....when I saw the opaque water in a glass the connection donned on me - and within three days we saw improvement in behavior. His behavior was so severe - upon telling his two older brothers about it - they NEVER forgot to rinse their milk glasses after that. They were six and eight at the time.

He's sensitive to soy - or the sweeteners used with it. It makes him cough, constantly. He's also VERY sensitive to corn syrup - which I just discovered - and have a whole new level of calm in my household. Improvement by leaps and bounds. My middle son - the least affected by senstivities has also made huge leaps off of corn syrup. Distractibility reduced by half, affectionate and more empathetic, connecting with people around him. Red and blue dyes (therefore any color the result of combining colors too) are a biggie, for my oldest also. My oldest rages on dyes - gave DH a black eye at three years old.

Without foods they are sensitive to - people would NOT know there's anything wrong at all. I get complimented on their behavior all the time. Just thought I'd throw in the dairy thing - since I've never come across another parent/kid who has seen, heard, or experienced, or knows anyone like my youngest son. It is a night and day difference.

I will probaby at one time or another attempt to go gluten free for awhile with my youngest at least, because it seems like whatever he really craves, ends up being a problem for him. I eliminated corn syrup because I discovered in was in all the breads, bagels, etc that I was buying. HUGE difference. Next would be bread - if necessary, based on behaviors.

Niki

16. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

My son was severely hyperactive (they call it ADD or ADHD these days) even before he was born. When he was 2, we went the whole hog with the Feingold Diet, and within 48 hours we had a new child. The younger you start them on it, the faster they respond. It can take several weeks, or even months, for an older child, but believe me, IT WORKS!

You begin by eliminating all artificial colours, flavours and preservatives from their diet. As well, you eliminate all foods which contain natural salicylates. You also eliminate strong perfumes, perfumed soaps and shampoos and cleaners and go 'all natural'. After a while, you begin to reintroduce things, keeping a diary so that you can keep track of changes in behaviour.

It's an extreme diet, but not as hard these days to stick to as it was 30 years ago. To this day, my son sticks like glue to natural foods, and he still doesn't eat a lot of sweets or 'rubbish'. His immune system is still a bit wonky, but more attention to his diet sorts that out fairly quickly.

Go back to the doctor and question the need for drugs, and meantime, just cut out anything 'artificial' in your child's diet - you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results!

17. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

My son showed symptoms of ADD in the 5th grade and the school was no help to me at all..no testing, nada, just said he had to "get it" in class. So I struggled with that school for two years and finally pulled him out and put him in private school. After the first quarter I got a call and the school counselor asked me if my son had been tested for ADD/ADHD. I told him no and he arranged for him to be tested AND sent me much information concerning diet and exercise, etc.

It was a Godsend..after we discovered that he really did have a problem, we eliminated all sugar, caffeine, artifical dyes and artificial sweetners. He is taking a minimum dosage (the smallest for his height/weight) of Strattera and his grades in pre college courses are A and B with a C in Math - Math is harder for him but he has improved tremendously.

He has lost weight though..from 260 down to 180 over the course of a year, but he was overweight to begin with and now has normal bloodpressure and only takes the medication when going to school (Sunday night through Thursday night) - none on weekends. It's worked for us, but diet must be carefully monitored and he gets tons of exercise now that he's shed the weight. Lots of water -(imagine that!!) very few cola drinks and no junk food except on birthdays/holidays/very special occasions and even then, sometimes he chooses not to do that..

He's had to learn alot about his problem and learned coping mechanisms to help himself stay on track. I am proud of him for recognizing that this may be a lifelong problem and one that he must eventually take responsibility for. But before we knew what it was - I thought I was going to go crazy trying to help him (no one in our family has ever had this so we didn't know anything about it).

We seem to be on an even keel for the most part. Diet, exercise, and the proper medication can work wonders. BTW - my doctor advised against Ritalin and said even with Strattera's side effects, they were much less than Ritalins. I can't say because we never used it, but if one medication does not work - perhaps another will. Our doc started my son on the lowest dose available and said "we will work up if needed"..so far that has been enough because we changed his diet and added more exercise. Woodsplitting and farm chores sure do help!

18. Pouncer

Pouncer Well-Known Member

Reading this with interest, thanks for the link to the Feingold org.

I think my own household is about 35% already on that, from the skim I did........

19. ToraAnne

ToraAnne Well-Known Member

I agree with diet! We have a 10yr old with ADHD. We do not medicate. Since we homeschool it is a bit different for us. One thing I have to remind myself is to not go easy on him. Many times I find I allow certain behaviors because of his ADHD, and I have to remind myself, he still has to learn to live with this and he has to learn self control. I fail (I am a softy and he is my baby) but I do try to make sure I am not giving in and allowing him to misbehave under the guise of ADHD.

Also another thought to consider. If you have a child who wants to or may some day decide to join the military they can not be medicated/diagnosed. I was on an ADHD egroup for some time and this came up over and over. I have not spoken with a recruiter, so I can not verify that this 100% correct, but it something to look into. Our son is very military oriented and is currently in the Young Marines. If he chooses a career in the military we do not want him to be hindered by a label and medications.

And last but not least---many hugs ((((((((((HUGS)))))))))) because I know some days you just want to run away!! And when I reach that point my little fireball comes by gives me his famous "Jacob hug" and tells me he loves me--then zooms off like the Tazmanian devil. Thankfully he recharged my batteries before he took off!

20. creeklady2000

thank you for all of the advice she used to be on adderal but she became imune to it she cannot swallow a pill we have tried everything so some of the other drugs are out because of it we are still working on swallowing a pill as I would like her to be on stratera , I homeschool her so we do have some play in that matter on her bad days we do different things with her but she is such a love bug and loves to give hugs and she can be very very funny at times she is my baby also