Does anyone have experience raising in hoop barns??

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by RedHogs, Sep 13, 2006.

1. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

I looking to add 1500 -2000 square feet this winter, and have priced a hoop barn, and cold frames with large tarp coverings, just wondering is anyone has used either ?

2. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

There are a few folks up here in n. Canada that use the system you are talking about. They call it the Swedish Deep Straw method up here. Composting manure and straw deep down in the layers add heat during winter months. The few places I have visited with this system have pens along both sides of the "tent" with a large open area in the middle. The bred sows are placed inside all mixed together. When farrowing nears, each sow picks a pen to farrow in and when the piglets are old enough to escape the pen they all mix up in the middle again. It only works properly with sows that farrow within a very short time of one another. The secret is to have enough straw...up to 10 round bales depending on the size of enclosure. I don't have enough pigs to bother with this type of system...but it appears very successful with the folks that are using it. Are you located in a cold area of the continent?

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

RedHogs, if you go the hoop barn route we would be interested in what you think about it. We have often looked at the hoop barn as a good way to go for housing our pigs once we get up there in numbers. We live in a cold area and what John explained would work really well for us. There is deffinately no shortage of old round bales to get the whole composting process going.

Heather

4. RedHogs

It is very appealing for two reasons, cost and legality. 4300 for 30x72 and without a footer is considered tempory and does not require permits or code inspections. I am wanting to use the barns for growing out repalcement gilts and the last 3-4 weeks of gestation.

5. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We haven't used a hoop barn for pigs, but we do have one. I'm not sure if you're only looking for info on using them for pigs or just the barns in general??? We've been very happy with ours. It cost a little less than $2k, and DH and I put it up in about 15 hours. We've had it about 2 years, and so far so good. It's held up to strong winds, fairly heavy snow loads (not New England snowloads though.)

One thing, if we were going to have animals in one, I would get one that opens at both ends, as it gets very hot in there in the summer.

6. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

RedHog and homebirtha, where did you get or where are you looking at them?
    Best place to buy?
    I have been looking at the Farmtec type, any feedback on theirs?

Thanks

7. RedHogs

you say it gets very hot??? do you have you ends open or closed?

8. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We got ours from Farmtek. As I said, we're very happy with it so far (2 years and counting.) Redhog, ours only has doors on one end and we keep those open. If I had it do over, I'd get one with doors on both ends for better ventilation, because even with the doors (two doors, but in the same end) open all the way, it's still pretty hot in there on a sunny day.

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

if the pigs can get to any area of the tarp or fasteners they will tear it apart. You are probably lucky if it lasts more than one season.

10. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

The ones I've seen are on a wooden or cement wall. The wall is maybe 4' high. They also have no ends. I think it would be nice to have that way. Just put some cattle panels accross the ends. If it gets nasty outside just put in some extra hay and put some roundbales accross one end to create a windbreak.

Makes me think of our boar scrap. He likes to tear things up. I had a wire fence attached to the posts with zip ties. Just a temporary thing. He took one look at it and started snapping off the zip ties with his teeth.
    Heather

11. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter