does anyone have a TRUELLY crunchy pickle recipe

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mel-, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

that they would share? when I first started gardening in the mid 80s I pickled alot but never could find a recipe for REALLY crunchy/crisp pickles and can't stand the soft ones so gave it up.

I have cucumbers out my ears this summer and have thought of trying it again. does anyone have a recipe/process that will REALLY REALLY give crisp pickles or does vlasic have that secret under guard and lock and key?

is it possible to just put them in the brine without heating and store them in the fridge? If so, how do they turn out and how long will they last in the fridge?

TIA,

Mel-

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

It's been a while since I've made them so I'm not sure where my recipe is but for slices the key is an ice/salt pretreatment. This recipe sounds similiar to mine. (I think I let them ice down overnight but they were darned crisp!) http://www.sharonshort.com/pickle_recipe.htm

katy

3. OD

OD Well-Known Member

If you want a sweet pickle, you might like lime pickles. They are so crisp that you can snap them in half like a cracker when they are taken out of the lime water. There is a recipe on the pickling lime package that is really good.

4. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Over at GardenWeb everyone swears by this recipe - I haven't tried it myself as I cannot stand dill pickles! Some people say they are very salty, one person got around this by "After 5-6 weeks I drained off half the brine as it was quite salty & replaced it with a mix of 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water. ( distilled. I always use distilled water)"

Fermented Dill Pickles – Refrigerated “Clausen” Type
    1 Gallon Jar
    Pickling Cucumbers
    12 Fresh Dill Flower heads, or
    2 Tbsp Dried dill weed and
    2 Tbsp. Dried dill seed
    10 to 12 Cloves Garlic
    6 to 8 Peppercorns
    ¼ Cup Vinegar
    ½ Cup Salt
    1½ Quarts Water

In 1 gallon jar add pickling cucumbers Rinse but do not wash the cucumbers. Add Dill flower heads or dried dill weed and seed, garlic, peppercorns, and vinegar. Dissolve salt in water and add to jar. Fill jar the remaining way with water. Add weight to keep cucumbers under brine.

Fermentation sequence
    1. Clear brine – no cloudiness for 1 to 3 days
    2. Cloudy brine with gas formation, 2-3 days
    3. Cloudy brine – no gas formation, 5 to 6 days

Pickles ready to eat after 10-11 days.
    Refrigerate pickles if you do not want to process them.

To process the pickles
    Fill clean, sterilized quart jars with pickles to within 1/2inch of the top. Wipe, seal, and process in a hot water bath at 170 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove and place on towel in a draft free area. Let jars stand for 12 hours. Label and date. Store in a dark, cool area.

5. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Mel, You might want to try pickling cucumbers instead of just cucumbers. Pickles have a different texture and hold up better in the pickling process.

I have made 6 gallons of these and will keep for many months:

GALLON GLASS JUG PICKLES

In bottom of jar put 8 cloves of garlic and a nice bouquet of fresh dill (you can use dried dill weed). Put pickles in jar. (Whole, halved, quartered or sliced)

5½ cups water
    1½ cups vinegar
    ¼ cup sugar
    ¼ cup salt
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp crushed red hot pepper

Boil the top ingredients and pour over the cucumbers. Keep in the refrigerator. You can start eating in four days, but the longer you keep them the better they are.

If you like a sour pickle there is the old classic:

Ice water Pickle:

6 lbs medium cucumber(cut in spears)
    Soak in ice water for 3 hours - drain - pack in jars
    Add 6 pickling onion, 1 celery rib and 1 teaspoon mustard seed in each jar.

Solution:
    3 qts white vinegar
    1 cup salt
    3 cups sugar

Bring to boil, pour over cucumbers and seal at once. The book says water bath for 10 minutes, but I do not.
    Yield: 6 quarts