Does anyone have a Romney Sheep?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by donsgal, Dec 22, 2006.

1. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I bought some raw fleece not too long ago and the guy told me it was Romney. Since then I have purchased many more fleeces and to me this stuff looks/feels exactly like Rambouillet. I read on the internet somewhere that Romney is considered to be medium course which the stuff I have definitely is NOT. Dh says it looks like a lady's pantyhose it is so very fine.

I am thinking that he MEANT Rambouillet and SAID Romney. ("R" confusion).

If any of you have a Romney, do you think I could pursuade you to send me a small sample so that I can compare it with the stuff I have to try to figure this out???? I would be eternally in your debt.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you have on this.

donsgal

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I've got one, but she's mixed with a wee bit of lincoln. Still, should be pretty close. A friend also has a couple of romneys, so if you're willing to wait a week (or two, at the rate I'm currently moving) I can send you a couple of snippets from a couple different sheep for comparison. But yeah...it's generally a bit coarse.

3. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

You should be able to tell from the crimp (the number of bends per inch). Rambouillet will have a crimp that is very, very close together -- the individual hair changing direction perhaps once every 64th of an inch or less, while the crimp on a lock of Romney may approach once every 1/4 of an inch. Depending on the breeding, some Romney's can have relatively fine, soft fleece, but the crimp is always a dead giveaway.

4. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

In addition to the crimp (which would be the best way), you might also be able to tell by the staple length.
    The Rambouillet fleece would not be much longer than 2-4 inches. Romney would be 4-6 + inches. Although, this might vary for the Romney if they have been shorn 2x/year.

5. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Well, here are some pictures, tell me what you think crimp wise...

[​IMG]
    Romney

[​IMG]
    Rambouillet

Do you see a significant difference? :shrug:

6. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I'm thinking you've got Rambouillet there. Much tighter crimp than my romney.

7. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Looks more like Rambouillet to me !

8. John Hill

John Hill Grand Master

I found this on a New Zealand site:

...maybe that helps?

9. MTDeb

MTDeb Well-Known Member

I have a friend who breeds and raises Romney's and has about 80 of them. Romney is considered a medium grade but the Romney's she has have a fine grade wool. It's so soft you could use it for something that you're going to wear next to your skin.

Romney has a nice crimp but it's a fairly large crimp where Ramboiullet has a really small, tight crimp. From what I can see in the picture, it looks more like Rambouillet.

Like the others said too, Romney is a long wool, usually more than 4 inches, sometimes 5 and 6 inches.