Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
maybe check out what it sells for in the grocery stores? I know before growing my own herbs, I got them very reasonable at the farmer's market. (and they are pricey in the grocery!) no market around here, as people grow their own, but I saw some small potted herbs in Home Depot that they wanted $4.00 a pot for! wow...you could charge less and still do well I think.

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
The Homesteading today magazine has had two articles, that I've seen, on a farm in our area that has a business doing just this. I dont know if they're a member here--or if you can read back issues online(?) but it was quite informative.

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Can I plead Senior moment? The artice is in Countryside and Small Stock Journal

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was recently reading about raising and selling micro greens too. I wonder how much you would need to grow in order to be worth trying to sell? I usually have a small flat of microgreens growing on the window sil next to my computer. Healthy snacking instead of chips. They grow so fast even in the winter that it kinda lifts my spirits and gives me hope that spring will indeed return.

With herbs at least you could dry and store them if you needed to. I think local restaurants would be interested in your fresh herbs if you could guarantee quantity and availability.

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
Your local health food store might be interested in buying them. Either fresh or dried. They might even buy small potted herbs to resell.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
At the farmer's market here, they usually sell for $2 a bunch. And the "bunch" is maybe an inch in diameter where it's tied.

Check your markets - even the grocery store - and see what they sell for. Most folks at the markets here are really nice and would tell you exactly how they measure out their bunches.

Good luck, sounds like a fun project and a good excuse to grow even more herbs!

·
Registered
465 Posts
You could make all kinds of pesto too and sell it at a flea market.

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
We sell a small amount of herbs - middle son has a project to grow and sell. He based his prices to sell lower than the big-truck-seller. It is a company called "sisco" and they were selling herbs for $11.00 to $12.00 per pound. My son sold his for $9.00 per pound to get the sales. He only sells a small amount to three to four places but makes enough money for it to be worthwhile for a young person. He has not sold enough ......in my view .....to make it worthwhile as an income maker. Some weeks he only made $9.00 but one week he made over $100. since they also ordered flowers from him. The sunflowers, two summers ago, were selling for $1.25 for ONE flower. He sold a lot of sunflowers that summer but this summer, with everyone cutting back everywhere, he only sold a few.

Market your herbs as "local" and "organic" (if they are organic) and or "fresher" than the big company can sell it. Also, the cafe's here like to receive the herbs twice a week rather than once........so it is fresher.

Good luck and I think it is worthwhile, or can be, but do your homework and find customers before you plant too much.

PS My son has dried herbs he did not sell and we are using those for gifts this year plus he saved the seeds so he does not have to buy more seeds.

good luck

·
Premium Member
3,126 Posts
I forgot to add that a "service" the cafe's like, offered by my son, is that he calls them each week. He calls on Monday and says what herbs or flowers he has, when he can deliver and then asks what they need. Don't wait to be called - you call them. Also, son would take one "sample" of another herb with each order or one sunflower stem. He would offer the "sample" herb as a "thank you" (it would not be a pound, he would take about 1/4 pound of the extra herb) gift but also it would then let the customer know about that herb (rosemary and sage were used once and did result in orders for those....and another time he had the fresh oregano)......and they would order it later.

Good luck

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've always thought a nice niche would be a sampler pack consisting of three or four compatible herbs. How many times have you gone to make a recipe and had to spend $8.00 on four bunches of herbs just to get a pinch of each?

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Who would be your best customers? Resturants, grocers, or individuals?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts