Does anyone else...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by katydidagain, Sep 3, 2004.

1. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

plant a garden, nurture it, anticipate the goodies and then hate dealing with the harvest? It doesn't help that my family doesn't eat my crops and I don't grow enough to sell. But for some reason I'd prefer admiring the growth cycle rather than pick the results; this has been my mindset for 20+ years. Why? Because then I have to process them and this is summer; isn't that the indolent season?

One good thing came out of my laziness. I discovered that my fig trees planted 2' on the center or so are producing but the birds aren't bothering the fruit. Better yet, the figs are drying on the trees; I've never dehydrated a fig satisfactorily with mechancal means and this is the method used in CA from what I've read. I might be on to something; too bad "fignorance" doesn't work on tomatoes...

katy

2. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

You may have enough to take to a farmers market. We go every Saturday and will go to the swap meat also. Try it; you meet lots of new friends and you can still grow all the produce you want.

3. looking for sugestions?
    1. plant herbs you may use or tea herbs: easy to put up just hang bunches to dry. expensive to buy
    2.Plant ornamentals or flowers: you still get to watch them grow and they are more fun to look at than food wasting away when your family won't eat it anyway.
    3. harvest and take it to the food bank: they are usually glad to get fresh produce from gardeners in any quantity and recently the one here has had lots of extra customers in need. Ours recently sponsored a plant a row for the hungry program asking gardeners to plant extra and give it to them for distribution.
    4. give excess to: friends family work or church folks. go to yahoo and see if freecycle has a board for your town.If you were in my town i would be glad to take some and i am a fat boy seldom meeting food i don't like.
    5. Plant smaller: it is rather easy to plant much more than easily consumed fresh you could plant more variety in smaller amounts or sucession plant for a staggered harvest.
    I do not share that habit with you I am always quite happy to harvest consume and sometimes even share or store. My biggest dilema is insect or animal damage when i just wanted to get one more day! you could also pick in the early morning as soon as you water or weed for the day and before it gets hot that may be more pleasant also.

4. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

Wow Katy, I've never known anybody that doesn't like a nice sliced tomato on their sandwich or cucumbers in their salad or green beans boiled with potatoes. What are you growing besides figs?

My hubby though used to be almost as bad. He grew up being a city kid. I would put out a plate of sliced beefstake tomatoes and cucumber wedges and raddishes and he wouldn't touch them. I was a little miffed, because I didn't understand the mentality that went behind it. I grew up with a plate of fresh produce on the table at my granmothers house.

He'll eat my pickle relish, he loves my baked beans, and he loves the frozen corn on the cob.

The problem he had was presentation. He grew up with salads not vegetable plates. The first year I grew corn, he wouldn't eat it off of the cob because he was used to it out of the can. So, I had to cut it off the cob to get him to eat it.

Now that I have adjusted his thinking, he graduated to fresh corn on the cob straight from the garden.

I know this sounds stupid and personally I think it is idiotic but go figure, he's a city kid.

5. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

Figs grow themselves. What else am I doing? Tomatoes, squash, cukes, bean, okra, melons, pumpkins and all manner of stuff. I've decided the anticipation is better than the reality. No, I'm not some city kid but I still like picking my produce in those neat bins when they're out of season. Okay, obviously I'm weird...

katy

6. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Not necessarily weird.

I much prefer eating my tomatoes and basil in the garden than the house. Although there's nothing quite as good as a just picked sliced tomato for dinner.

But sitting there picking a tomato here and a leaf of basil there and popping it my mouth, then moseying around looking for another nice tomato --- :D

One thing I do is have plots of my favorite stuff kind of scattered about. For example, I can go through a pound of fresh basil in a day! :haha: So I have four or five pots of it scattered around hither and yon, a mess in the raised bed out back and am getting ready to plant some more for inside and ... the greenhouse (fingers crossed, I'll actually pull this one off).

I really enjoy going from place to place to pick it. Can't wait to get more gardens going, in fact, so I can get a little here, a little there, depending on my mood.

Maybe you're like me and need that variety to sustain your interest - ?

7. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

I wasn't implying that you were weird, but you said your family wouldn't eat your crops and I was wondering what kind of crops you were trying to feed them. :haha: