Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to pot up some beets and onions and things, and bring them inside during the first few killing frosts and set the outside when it is safe again. That should extend the salad season nicely, as leaves can be harvested from beets again and again. And, I have a table and some lights so, who knows? I might keep the plants for longer than just during the first few freezes!

Back when I lived in California nobody had a winter garden: what a waste! Folks could have been growing broccoli and beets and all MANNER of cold hardy vegetables, but back then, who knew? And, now that I live in Kansas my gardening pleasure comes to a screeching halt as soon as the ground freezes!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Ground in southern central Virginia never really freezes deep and when the top freezes, it thaws within a few days/a week so I can grow winter garden all winter as long as I keep snow/ice off it.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Got green onions in the flowerpot.
Lavender, Sweet Basil, English Thyme, Lemon Thyme, Sage are in Strawberry flowerpot.
It's sitting on window sill.
Garlic is planted in flowerpot.
So is compact,patio tomato plant, lettuce too.
If I had a big enough pot, would have tried potatoes, sweet potatoes and green beans.
But pot wasn't deep enough.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I love our California growing season. I'm putting in my fall crop tomorrow (no, really, seriously it's gotta get done). Probably putting up a cover, although we have mild winter we're at slight elevation so it does freeze, and snow occasionally.

I've been doing very well keeping up with the harvest this year, so I think I'm ready to extend my work.

It's funny because hubby actually is the green thumb, I'm just following his direction and recommendations. Since he's been working on other projects, the vegetable garden is mainly in my hands. A few years ago, that would have been unimaginable.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Got green onions in the flowerpot.
Lavender, Sweet Basil, English Thyme, Lemon Thyme, Sage are in Strawberry flowerpot.
It's sitting on window sill.
Garlic is planted in flowerpot.
So is compact,patio tomato plant, lettuce too.
If I had a big enough pot, would have tried potatoes, sweet potatoes and green beans.
But pot wasn't deep enough.
Heard you can stack tires, fill with dirt, and plant potatoes in the middle. Haven't tried it myself but we have some tires we plan to use for that.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
What do you generally raise?
I'll frontrun Declan on this since I live in southside VA. We raise collards, kale, turnips and brussel sprouts that usually survive the winter. The fall/early winter mix includes lettuce, chard, cauliflower and broccoli; but, those don't usually survive past late November. Of course one year, I had fresh tomatoes with Thanksgiving dinner, but that was definitely an anomaly.

The kale and sprouts don't always make it all winter. The turnips and collards have not been completely winterkilled in some time. I love a fall/winter garden. You don't have to weed it but a few times and there is little insect damage, generally. Last year everything made it all winter. We had one -7 degree night but there was about 8 inches of snow/ice on it that night and it insulated it sufficiently. It was the year before last or the year before that it got down to 8 degrees in early October without any mild frosts to harden anything that zapped most of the fall garden. :-(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can get cold winters in southern Iowa so inside of our little hoop greenhouse we have cold frames. Hubby has already planted lettuce, carrots and spinach. We will eat on this one planting all winter. When it gets to freezing, he lays a piece of Styrofoam insulation over the glass of cold frame.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
What do you generally raise?
Kale, mustard, collards, turnips, creasy greens, garlic, or some combination thereof. I sometimes will plant spinach, etc. Just planted broccoli, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts but they will be under a blanket when the frost comes. I have had rocket/arugala (whichever name you prefer) make it all the way through with no protection before.

·
Super Moderator
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
iahomesteader, do you supply any heat to your hoop greenhouse?

I have covered salad beds inside our hoop greenhouse with 3 layers of clear paint tarps, but it only carried the salad greens into January. And we are south of you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
iahomesteader, do you supply any heat to your hoop greenhouse?

I have covered salad beds inside our hoop greenhouse with 3 layers of clear paint tarps, but it only carried the salad greens into January. And we are south of you.
No heat. We have regular greenhouse plastic on the hoophouse. The cold frames are 2x6, one on top of the other. So vegetables are in the ground. When it starts to get cold, he puts the glass storm windows on. When it is to be below freezing, insulation on top of windows. The coldest it has gotten in the boxes is 30. Haven't loss anything yet, but always a first time! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Terri, what part of Kansas? Are you going to Mother Earth news workshop weekend in Oct? We went to one in Texas last March. It was excellent. My hubby is the gardener so if we can help, just shout!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts